Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 6/4/2021 at 6:43 AM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

39953101381_1758361344_o.jpg

The 50's parade photo below came from the Cadillac PR director in 1972, in response to a request for pictures of Cadillacs with celebrities. They had captions stapled to them, and I couldn't figure out why they captioned this parade with TR, who surely did not make it all the way to the early 1950's!  And, the TR photo of Dave's wasn't included in the package!  CadillacParadeWashingtonDC_000014.jpg.6056f8376ce9c38df8349905586fd13c.jpg

On 6/4/2021 at 11:25 AM, John_Mereness said:

1950's to perhaps 1970's - unfortunately no detail other than can attest 100% to car existing in back of someones garage today. 

97107188_962082264244031_660054984980692992_n.jpg.3348e6525e3bdc0f209a05b02d434c95.jpg

Looks like a 904, so it’s probably a fake split windshield car now.........

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I think it is a 905, looks like 18" wheels and there appears to be a raised rib on the fender lights as well as converted seal beams on original 12 headlights

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

A good shot of the rumble seat steps, the paint scheme and details of the top on whatever kind of roaster it is - Mopar??

Looks to be a 1932 Plymouth.

1932 Ply roadster.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Looks to be a 1932 Plymouth.

1932 Ply roadster.jpg

Note the difference in the way the removeable rear window section of the top is done on the restored Plymouth versus what I presume is an original.

There was a guy who recently documented his Rolls-Royce Phantom II upholstery and trimming job on a facebook page and he did the removeable section with a zipper which I thought was completely wrong.

It is only since I acquired by Studebaker (non-folding top) cabriolet that I have noticed such things.  On my Stude the guy who restored it in the 1980s did the section with fasteners but did put in is a plastic window. I did get the original glass window and frame with the car when I bought it.

The original Plymouth from page 340 - 

1588210039_McDonnellsDrive-In.jpg.66fdf5

My Studebaker - I am not in that trade so what is correct and what is not I don't know but I see on my car the fasteners are hidden from the outside. Photos from the online ad before I bought the car. 

rear window ext.jpg

rear window int.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Promotional photograph for roadside assistance in Oregon during 1948.

Promotional photograph for roadside assistance in Oregon during 1948..jpg

Interesting appears to be administering first aid , wonder if gent first aid trained and qualified as  we don’t get that nowadays with Uk road assistance , pc correct blighters would object  at some  breakdown  mobile mechanic even holding hands with you. Perhaps this was an alternative ambulance service for non serious injuries 

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Note the difference in the way the removeable rear window section of the top is done on the restored Plymouth versus what I presume is an original.

There was a guy who recently documented his Rolls-Royce Phantom II upholstery and trimming job on a facebook page and he did the removeable section with a zipper which I thought was completely wrong.

It is only since I acquired by Studebaker (non-folding top) cabriolet that I have noticed such things.  On my Stude the guy who restored it in the 1980s did the section with fasteners but did put in is a plastic window. I did get the original glass window and frame with the car when I bought it.

The original Plymouth from page 340 - 

1588210039_McDonnellsDrive-In.jpg.66fdf5

My Studebaker - I am not in that trade so what is correct and what is not I don't know but I see on my car the fasteners are hidden from the outside. Photos from the online ad before I bought the car. 

rear window ext.jpg

rear window int.jpg

They are on the inside so the window can be opened to communicate with occupants in rumble seat.

• Like 1

My sincerest thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread and continue to do so; also to all who view what has been posted and what is new. It takes some time and effort to do all of this but is just so rewarding to see the enthusiasm and obviously good feelings that everyone seems to be having. Guess my title for the thread has been the correct one. We have reached 300,000+ views in less then 15 months.  I have a birthday in a week and seeing the on going interest and the numbers  continue to rise is the best present I could have. ( and I gave up any kind of birthday celebrations over a decade ago  )

Walt

• Like 15

Walt:

Well, happy birthday anyway!  Here's a view that will warm the heart of any genuine old car enthusiast.  Select the one you'd most like to have in the garage now.   This thread is a gift to all of us daily.

Steve

P.S.  This image saved from some site on-line a few years ago, maybe here, many The Old Motor.  Either way, its great! 

Wilshire-Boulevard-Traffic-Jam-LA-1941.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, edinmass said:

Looks like a 904, so it’s probably a fake split windshield car now.........

It is a 906 Twin Six in a 7 passenger sedan - a very respectable original car in Aztec Olivine Brown Light and Dark - painted undercarriage, Trico accessory Horns, and metal spare tire covers (which had been separated from the car for a number of years to be found hanging in the garage the car came from - at least most all the parts for them that is), plus I added a set of accessory tire mirrors, NOS Stoneguard (right out of the Packard Shipping crate and shredded wood packing material) and a Tropic Aire heater - in addition to fixing countless things, restoring wheels and adding a new set of Bedford Double Whitewalls, replacing a fair portion of the the die cast, finding most all of the missing parts, and ... .   It made it to one CCCA event circa 2014-ish as a running/driving car.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 4

This image was included in a 2008 'Railroads and World War II' Special Collector's Edition magazine feature article titled FDR's Wartime Train Travels by Fred B. Wrixon by Classic Trains magazine by Kalmbach Publishing Co. on page 23.  It shows the military welcoming ceremony for FDR's visit to Fort Lewis, Washington, September 22, 1942.   The photo credit noted is "U.S. Army, Robert Wayner Collection, Courtesy Bob Withers. 

For an eight year old 1934 Packard Twelve Model 1108 Dietrich Convertible Sedan by 1942, someone was taking very good care of it evidenced by its fine condition.   If someone has knowledge of or can discover more about this particular Packard, its history and whether we're fortunate enough that it is still extant, we would all welcome the enlightenment.   Following it are a 1941 DeSoto convertible coupe and a late 1920's Lincoln L touring, which nice in their own right, pale by comparison. 

Railroad and WWII -'08 Classic Trains Special Edition 004.JPG

Railroad and WWII -'08 Classic Trains Special Edition 006.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday Walt 

and thank you for igniting an interest in me which compels me to check up and view the latest postings most days and enjoy wonderful cars I was never aware of and the great period images which provide a glimpse of times past 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

No idea what make this is, but I've never seen headlights mounted like this on any other car.

6.jpg

Two-cylinder Northern, about a 1906.  To start it, you put the crank in through that hole in the middle of the radiator.  If you open hcca.org, a car just like that one appears on the home page.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Two-cylinder Northern, about a 1906.  To start it, you put the crank in through that hole in the middle of the radiator.  If you open hcca.org, a car just like that one appears on the home page.

There is a 1908 Northern not far from me with headlights set up like that.

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Walt:

Well, happy birthday anyway!  Here's a view that will warm the heart of any genuine old car enthusiast.  Select the one you'd most like to have in the garage now.   This thread is a gift to all of us daily.

Steve

P.S.  This image saved from some site on-line a few years ago, maybe here, many The Old Motor.  Either way, its great! 

Wilshire-Boulevard-Traffic-Jam-LA-1941.jpg

This photo is great. It's so nice to see so many cars shinning clean. Where is it? What special occasion is it?

Here is one of my favorite pictures -  of one of my favorite makes of cars. 

Also, Happy birthday, Walt, and thank you for this thread and your many, many other contributions. 

Phil

B 1985.jpg

• Thanks 1