Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Reds still cost more to produce ( at least for paint used by artists for pictures) it is also a color that says "look at me". Many brass era cars were more prolific in red when new. With the depressing world wide activity in WWI then a few good years and the Great depression the color red was not looked upon as something to put in other peoples faces on a new car, even on wheels. The first real metallic colors became more popular in the mid 1930s in browns and greens. They were not the 'day-glo' metallics that appeared in the postwar era when the Age of Aquarius let the sun shine in.......🙃

Edited by Walt G
reworded for clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of movie cars, watching the Mystery of The Wax Museum on Svengoolie last evening, what should appear but this 1932 Auburn 12-160 cabriolet.  The movie is the typical early 1930's 'horror' genre; thin stock plot, cardboard characters but the sets are great period Art Deco examples and the hard-boiled, fast-talking young woman reporter has some of the best lines of period slang delivered rapid fire.  When you are in the mood for some dopey, mindless entertainment with a great car, check it out.  Incidentally, Svengoolie explained the movie was filmed in an early version of 'Techni-Color' through red and green filters which makes it more visually interesting as well.

'32 Auburn 12-160 - Mystery of The Wax Museum 1933 a.jpg

'32 Auburn 12-160 - Mystery of The Wax Museum 1933 b.jpg

'32 Auburn 12-160 - Mystery of The Wax Museum 1933 c.jpg

'32 Auburn 12-160 - Mystery of The Wax Museum 1933 d.jpg

'32 Auburn 12-160 - Mystery of The Wax Museum 1933 e.jpg

• Like 4

About the time when a person thinks he's seen it all, along comes yet another photo to prove him wrong.  This Auto Wash Bowl must have been an urban thing; country people just drove the family jalopy through the creek on the way to town. Perhaps Walt has some sage insight about this.

Garage Service 011.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

About the time when a person thinks he's seen it all, along comes yet another photo to prove him wrong.  This Auto Wash Bowl must have been an urban thing; country people just drove the family jalopy through the creek on the way to town. Perhaps Walt has some sage insight about this.

Garage Service 011.jpg

The only thing I can comment on is that all the cars after this dip and wash and wheel floss is that the wood wheels will not squeak or creak for some time until after they dry out. I heard a rumor that one of these swoosh palaces is being established near every major national "Concours " and there will be a new requirement that all drivers /owners of cars registered and participating in the 'Posh and Polish' events will have to drive this after their numerous visits to the free drink tents. This will prove to all , that like the wheels on the car they too will not squeak or creak for some time until after they dry out. 🧐

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

M.E. Tunningley DeSoto-Plymouth, Nunda, NY was still selling new cars through the 1960's when I was growing up.  Melvin stayed a Plymouth dealership after DeSoto's demise, but he did handle Triumph cars for a time.   The showroom was just large enough for one car at an angle, which entered through fold-away doors between the showroom and service bays.  Like most small-town dealers, he kept maybe one demonstrator of the full-size, intermediate and compact, one to three other new cars, had a dozen or so used cars around at times.  He started in the early 1930's with his brother Norm as a Ford dealer, who took the Ford dealership to a different Nunda location.   Melvin took the Plymouth-DeSoto franchise over from another local operator, moved it to this location, if I recall the details correctly.  After forty years, Melvin quit about 1971-'72.  That was the end of a Plymouth dealer here.

M.E.Tunningley DeSoto-Plymouth, Nunda, NY late '40's.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Garage Service 011.jpg

I did some work at a land fill, they had built a rather expensive under carriage wash for the trucks exiting the cell area to make sure all of the mud was off before they hit the public road. I suppose they werent the first with that idea!  

I did read someplace,  that in the day it was common practice to ride through water to keep the wood spokes tight. As a woodworking I always thought that sounded a bit suspect, maybe a bit of urban legend.

• Like 1

Kerry, your photo and thoughts bring back memories of when the new car models appeared in the showrooms in the autumn.  In farm land Minnesota that was a big deal.  The residents and farmers from miles around would "come to town" to see the new Ford and Chevy models, and free donuts and coffee was a major plus.  I remember seeing 50 or 75 people crammed in the small showrooms of the day; it was like a family reunion for the farmers seeing their widely dispersed neighbors again.  Then in the early spring the new tractors would be in the implement dealer's showrooms, John Deere, Oliver, Massey Harris, and again free coffee and donuts.  My great-uncle traded in his Dodge for a new Studebaker, with the same dealer who also handled Farmall tractors.  It was a different time, a different country then.

353306921_M.E.TunningleyDeSoto-PlymouthNundaNYlate40s.thumb.jpg.638c42374392efc5e01d721ba5ae7640.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, md murray said:

So cool.

120.JPG

Timeless classic. Thank you for posting this.

Simple lettering, yet I would venture to say the artist did it free hand. I grew up around an uncle who made a living on free hand sign painting... I've always said those guys from the early turn of the century even into the 1970s were amazingly talented. True artists and students of calligraphy... wish I would have claimed his books and tools when I had the chance before the mongrels got to them.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, Walt G said:

Totally correct on that comment and points you made. I had all of this explained to me by Austin Clark early on - over 50 years ago. Note the hand pump is on the passenger side of the seats. This was so the "riding mechanic" would perform that task while going down the road because the driver was to busy, steering, shifting and controlling the spark and throttle. I had the job of using /working that pump to pressurize the gas tank to send fuel to the carburetor on Austin's type 35 Mercer many times on trips we used that car for . We took his car out to lunch but of course had to get it "warmed up " not just get in and drive a mile or more and then shut it off.  Usually a 3 to 5 mile exercise before settling down for some good food and refreshments.

You are a lucky man to have known Austin Clark first hand. Many thanks again for starting my favorite AACA Forum thread!

• Like 2