Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

27 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Maybe about a 1924 Star....

1924 Star car.jpg

Grill shell is wrong.

They look a lot like early Rickenbackers to me but I can't be sure without a better image.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, twin6 said:

Otter Creek (2).jpg

I don't think Star ever used front fenders of that style either.

The detail and lighting is not great. (Maybe someone with better computer skills than I can improve it slightly?)

It MAY be a Jewett. They did use short sharp-transition front fenders of that style on several models in the early to mid 1920s. They also offered disc wheels in that style, and a few had baby drum headlamps. I am sure not sure (due to the shadows), but even the radiator shell looks close.

Chandler is another car that used that style of fenders. Not all Chandlers had their distinctive rear window.

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

No, sorry.  I'd love to know the location which I assume is some where between Danby and Middlebury, VT.

NOAA list for weather reporting purposes Otter Creeks located in Arkansas, Florida, as a Township in Pennsylvania, as Junctions in Indiana and Tennessee.    Might try a Google Street View of each to see if any of the building match the old photo.

Just trying to resort things in my library/archives and try to get it back to a reasonably functioning place to do research and write stories.  I had a long delay in the past several years due to some health issues and now am realizing how much odd stuff I have - Geez.

Well here is a photo of a Stanford model S two ton stake truck. It was built in Syracuse, N.Y. the town painted on the side of the truck is near Syracuse.

Also a photo of a 1930 Crossley ( English built) 23 h.p. taken at the London Motor Show at their exhibit stand. Car has a fabric covered body.

the last photo is a Derby six built in France.

I have hundreds ( 400 or 500 +) of period photographs taken at the London and Paris Motor Shows pre war , plus a few just immediately post war in the 1946-50 era , some truly bizarre stuff.

Does everyone like the odd stuff or do you need a dose of "normal" " regular" ?

Walt

SanfordTRUCK001.jpg

Crossley1930motorshow001.jpg

Derby-french001.jpg

• Like 5

Bob, I had to look at that one myself for a few minutes. I came to the conclusion that he is taking a large format photo of the dash inside the car, looking through the rear window. Hence, all the bright lights shining in up front. Some of those cameras required a tent over the camera to preview the setup clearly before the large format (glass or otherwise) 'film' was put into place and exposed. 

It does look to me like he could have gotten a better look from above or behind the spare tire??? He may have been an interesting person to work with?

• Like 2

Not A Photo But What The Heck --

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 10.31.10 PM.png........1909 Peerless in San Francisco

$6,000 base price as a four.......$7,000 base price if a six, America's most expensive motor car. Production for the year: 1,618. Out of those, 3 known to exist. By comparison, Pierce-Arrow production figures were 1,566 and Packard 1,303.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1