Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

I will; leave this one for all of you to guess what make of car it is and what city it may be in. the back of the photo states written in ink via a fountain pen " Sporting type body with disappearing top. Undeniably good looking but quite uncomfortable. Notice absence of running boards and peculiar shaped mudguards with no aprons". Only hint I can give is that the photo was taken just prior to or just after WWI and the comment on the back was by a well known automotive editor of the time ( who many would not recognize the name of now) .

LANCIAtourerNYC001.jpg

The car is a Lancia and year is probably correct - do not have the exact year. I do not know their models for that era. Location is New York Central Park, and photo came from the archives of John Jay Ide who was a very well known automotive journalist in that era. If you look at the higher end motoring magazines of that era his name is seen often.

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

Renault 45 HP Reinastella ( note the star just above the emblem on the hood) The Reinastella was the largest series Renault made, there were three other series/models available on shorter wheelbases with smaller capacity engines.  . Car dates from ca. 1929 but photo was taken in Maine in 1937. Note the Marchal headlamps . Absolutely huge cars that you never see in person, even in Europe. Most of the larger Renaults that were imported to the USA were sold out of their New York City sales showroom and came in minus coachwork. Were fitted with bodies built here in the USA. Another story that needs to be told with period images and photographs to record the connection of Renault in the USA prior to WWII- I have all the period sales literature, instruction book, and photographs to do that . The big Renaults were like ocean liners on wheels.........

RENAULTmaine1937001.jpg

I always liked these big ugly things after I found one in a barn back when I was still in school. Large doesn’t accurately describe these land yachts...........I found an open car.....and had no chance of coming up with the money. Here is the car today......if I’m not mistaken......feel fairly sure it is the actual car.

0EEB745C-B3B5-4647-9AF4-7BF0AE025712.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The big Renaults are a favorite of mine too! They are dinosaurs and seldom seen even when new, most people on this side of the pond even know they ever existed . I repeat : they are ocean liners with wheels. Let me see if I can come up with a few more images of them of that era ( more stuff to look up - why do I keep doing this ? because its fun and its odd ) .  Besides the period photographs and sales catalogs I have one of the diamond shaped emblems for the front of the hood sitting in my study.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Walt G said:

The only NY city buses I knew of that survived were later - pre war but in the 1930s. Austin Clark had several of them, one he bought in the Bronx , the upper borough of Manhattan in the 1950s and wanted to get it back to his auto museum in Southampton, NY at the eastern end of long island about 100+ miles away . This was in an era when there were many less bridges to long island from the main part of NY and transporting a double deck 5th Avenue coach bus that distance was nearly impossible. No one wanted to haul it. SO because it was in good condition and running well Austin DROVE IT from the Bronx to Southampton, once over the Whitestone Bridge he made his way to Rt 27 east ( there was no long island Expressway. and took his time ( it was not a fast bus being a double decker) and made it to the museum. I can't imagine anyone doing that then , much less now!!! It would be like landing a tri motor Ford or a bi plane airplane at Kennedy airport.

One of the buses Austin had ( he had several double deck 5th Ave. coach buses) wound up decades later going to Harrah's to be restored, repowered to use at their museum. Harrah's under the direction of my buddy Paul Larios had to have a crew come out and buy limber to wrap the bus in for its trip to Reno. They had to take the second deck off so it and the first deck/chassis could be fitted to a flat bed .  I went out and Paul and I had lunch and looked at the project. Austin was happy, so was Bill Harrah and Paul not so much with the project.

I have to many stories , most of which would not fit in a post here, and most of the stories about activity that Austin and I got into were legal too! mostly, sort of.

It would be a interesting story to read.

The 5th Avenue double-deck coach bodies were rather exclusive to NYC being built on a Yellow Coach chassis.   

Craig

No idea where there photo is from, but the the iden says it is a 1924 Renault.  It does look like a brute.  Proportionally the hood looks like it houses a straight 16 cylinder engine.

24 Renault.jpg

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to you to Bob and all the others whose eyes glance here. It is my great pleasure to share what I have managed to collect for my library and archives. I have been very very fortunate to have known people /friends who not only educated me on what existed " in the era" but were also my ears and eyes to find things, or perhaps do a trade so we could both have new /old items for our collections. I am not a "hoarder" since I was a teacher for decades and am the local historian ( Mayor and Trustees of the village still tolerate me and keep reappointing me ) my great satisfaction is to share what I know exists . I have done this forever - long ago when Bill Harrah had a full time staff restoring cars I would exchange information, provide information to make sure the restorations were correct.  Bill and Austin Clark were buddies that shared the passion - them on a much larger scale of course! Heck, Bill and I would spend a week together at the annual Franklin meet in central NY state, and until I got my own Franklin on the road one of the 4 cars he would have hauled out to the event would be my 'set of wheels' for that week. It was my greatest pleasure to hand him the keys to my Derham bodied victoria the first year I had it at the Franklin meet and look him in the eye and say " here it's your turn to drive one of my cars". He and I would walk the fields at Hershey looking for "stuff" .

It is the natural  passion and dedication that we all have for "used cars" be they 100+ or 30 years old that keeps our spirits up, especially in the current times we live in. We can still keep that spirit alive because of these wonderful AACA forums and the exchanges we can make.

May all of you have a great new year, and I say that with all sincerity.

WG

• Like 5

Many bodies built in the USA by American coach builders were fitted to European chassis, and the coach builders in NY City or within a fairly close proximity were also busy doing this ( Fleetwood, etc) . Before the Great Depression European cars - running chassis , complete with a firewall, dashboard, radiator, possibly a hood, perhaps headlamps were imported by the many sales agents for European cars in NY City. If the cars came in with no coachwork they were taxed far less then complete cars! Were not considered a complete vehicle and there I believe, was a very slight less tax if the cars were complete but the bodies were built by American owned companies that were located in Europe ( have to relocate the reference I saw about this) like Hibbard & Darrin.

• Like 1

Walt G.,

Wishing you, as well as all others who make this FORUM an excellent sharing,

the very best of health for the season and for the coming year(s).

12 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Walt -- here is one of those big Renault dinosaurs that found it's way to the Key Museum, opened in 2015. That's in Izmir, Turkey and has 130 automobiles in it's collection. I believe it's a 1925 40CV.

Izmir Turkey June 2018 View Classical Vehicles Key Museum Has – Stock  Editorial Photo © niglaynike #202810260

I took this photo of what I think is the only Renault 40CV in New Zealand in 1980 at the VCC International Rally at Rotorua. As far as I know it is still with the same owner. The black and white photo is the same car ten years earlier, probably when it was shipped to Australia for the big rally that was held there that year.

1980 Rotorua my photo.jpg

1970 c.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Walt -- here is one of those big Renault dinosaurs that found it's way to the Key Museum, opened in 2015. That's in Izmir, Turkey and has 130 automobiles in it's collection. I believe it's a 1925 40CV.

Izmir Turkey June 2018 View Classical Vehicles Key Museum Has – Stock  Editorial Photo © niglaynike #202810260

Whoever painted that 1934 Pierce Arrow should be shot.........multiple times.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LI_BENTLEY said:

Two Whites top one 1915 or newer bottom one 30 hp 1912/1914 probaly a GAH love the bumper.

The top car is a 4-45 of 15-16 vintage. Most likely a 16 from the cowl. 

31 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Whoever painted that 1934 Pierce Arrow should be shot.........multiple times.

Ed, they probably were shot - drank to many of them! , and it was cheap whiskey that's why their vision got blurred and they chose the colors they did!

They are the same people who justify any color as correct by stating ( with a superior smirk on their face and a stance/pose of superiority) " for $50 in that time you could have had a car painted any color you wanted "  then they can stamp their foot to note that that action should put an end to the conversation because they indeed are 'experts'  and their words of wisdom should be the final say in the matter.

• Like 3

I’m ok with painting a car any color......as long as it’s tasteful.............hell, my 1936 Pierce is rather bright......but two tone barf green and puke yellow? Imbecilic at best........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Ed, they probably were shot - drank to many of them! , and it was cheap whiskey that's why their vision got blurred and they chose the colors they did!

They are the same people who justify any color as correct by stating ( with a superior smirk on their face and a stance/pose of superiority) " for $50 in that time you could have had a car painted any color you wanted "  then they can stamp their foot to note that that action should put an end to the conversation because they indeed are 'experts'  and their words of wisdom should be the final say in the matter.

I could be wrong, but it appears to be a taxi color combination, either New York City or Chicago.  Perhaps it was a (expensive) taxi?

Craig

With the 1932 Graham 'Blue Streak'  in solid color renditions enforcing the integrated design ethic, any car thereafter finished in contrasting colors was considered unfashionable, for the frugal customer or even commercial. 

This unfortunately Pierce-Arrow appear in the CCCA The Classic Car Grand Classic report some years ago.  My thought at the time was either solid dark olive or ochre yellow with pinstripe accents of the opposite might have been acceptable but as presented, it simply displays poor taste and judgement.

• Like 2

This photo is of actor William Russell in the movie The Lincoln Highwayman which was a Fox Film production of 1919.

Car is a Stutz Bearcat of that era ( most likely 1918 or 1919 ) no note as to the name of the co star/ passenger. Note the cover at the body opening where one would climb over to enter/exit. also the step plate mounted there and the separate Stutz die cut emblem mounted to that same area . that extra step seems to be an accommodation for the canine passenger .  Actor William Russell passed away in 1929 of pneumonia.

StutzBearcat1920in movie001.jpg

• Like 4

Another Stutz with a different pet.  Actress Pearl White (of Perils of Pauline fame) who only lived to age 49.  I don't think there are enough Stutz with pets photos to start another thread, but it would be fun to see if anyone else has one to post.  Is Russell's dog a setter?

piggy.jpg

• Like 2