Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Does anyone know the history of this accident?  The front bumper is caved in a little at dead center, possibly from striking the post of the railroad crossing sign.  That slight damage does not seem to match the destruction of the crossing sign.  There appears to be no damage to the headlights nor radiator shroud.  Yet with so little damage to the front of the car the right front wheel appears to be splayed out indicating either damage to the axle, or simply that the tire was stripped off its rim.  The right rear tire appears to be sunken into the dirt surface possibly indicating "soft shoulder" at the edge of the road surface.  Hence this accident possibly resulted from too much speed, a slick (wet mud?) road surface, and a curve in the road approaching the rail crossing.  ?

Isotta-Fraschini Town Car Rudolph Valentino 01-02.jpg

Isotta-Fraschini Town Car Rudolph Valentino 01-03.jpg

• Like 1

I just HAD to go out and look at it. The amazing thing is it only took a few minutes to find it amongst all my junk. For about fifty years, I have had a Raulang Body tag, and I knew it was an oval. Looking at it closely for the first time in a decade or two, I would say it is likely a rounder oval than the body tag on that neat looking roadster. So I would say body by Fisher and/or Fleetwood is still more likely.

• Like 2

Eric Hatch was an automotive author who penned a regular column for the society magazine Country Life in the 1920s. Country Life Press was a branch of Doubleday, Doran & Company, a major publisher at the time that was based on Franklin Avenue in Garden City , NY on the east side of the road. This image of a Minerva conv. sedan with body by Hibbard & Darrin was in the Feb. 1928 issue.

MIN1928CountryLIFE001.jpg

• Like 2

I had a drink with Hibbard's grandson last Sunday..........nice guy. He asked why my White(Rubay body, Hibbard's first job.) looked like a Duesenberg LeBaron Phaeton, and I said, because your grandfather designed this car while he was still a teenager. He had a big smile on his face. It's amazing who you bump into in Southern Florida. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The advertisement is from the 1937 George Vanderbilt Cup race held at the Roosevelt Raceway in 1937 in Westbury, NY. this raceway was in the area where Lindbergh flew off/over to head east to Paris a decade before. The print of the open coupe is from a series of images given to me by a great friend in CCCA some years ago as a gift and was one of the Hibbard designs. More stuff from my archives.

hibbardiNCadVERTISEMENT1936iMAGE6.jpg

HIBBARDCOUPEOPEN1936image4.jpg

• Like 5

This is why your brass car steers like sxxt today. No need to rebuild the box, the car is low mileage! 1909 Glidden Tour with a Pierce Arrow.

6CE5A16E-0EBB-4F01-8AD1-8CAAA39756F2.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, edinmass said:

This is why your brass car steers like sxxt today. No need to rebuild the box, the car is low mileage! 1909 Glidden Tour with a Pierce Arrow.

6CE5A16E-0EBB-4F01-8AD1-8CAAA39756F2.png

Yep, and perhaps they were a little shy on hardening technology (at least in automobiles).  As dad says about many 30's cars - it was worn out at 30K miles (by the way if you work here in Cincinnati at Procter & Gamble, then I would have to say 30M for thirty thousand and MM is million). 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

As dad says about many 30's cars - it was worn out at 30K miles (by the way if you work here in Cincinnati at Procter & Gamble, then I would have to say 30M for thirty thousand and MM is million). 

So when the ashtray was full, it was time to get rid of it?

Craig

• Haha 1

Stop at a hotel for the evening back in the day, you paid to put your car up in a garage........interesting to see what was on hand on any particular day.

971F6DDB-C609-4D45-9417-3C4A222985BA.png

CB33A595-0565-42A3-8BEB-50BE0BA4A91C.png

C1777B38-E1C7-4362-9CA9-2C7D07AA0CFE.png

• Like 6

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Can anyone ID the Packard?

B7843CDD-27B5-489B-9F4F-815E8E8F6E8A.png

That is Ralph Stein. The car was a Packard roadster he bought from ??? (I've forgotten the name) but he worked for Marcellus Hartley Dodge, the grandson of Marcellus Hartley, a principal of Schuyler, Hartley & Graham - the military goods dealer. Hartley's business was extremely successful...in 1888 he bought the Remington Arms Company and was also the owner of Union Metallic Cartridge. He also founded an electric company that he sold to George Westinghouse. The grandson merged the two companies in 1912 resulting in Remington/UMC.

That picture, and a description of the car can be found in Stein's "Treasury of the Automobile. " I also saw a reference to the gentleman he purchased it from on the Old Motor web site in a description of a car built for the Dodges. I think Stein traded it for an Alfa Romeo.

Found it...the original owner was McClure Hally.

Oh...and the device on the radiator cap is a tachometer...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

I wonder if they are the exact same cars but decades later?

Walt

No.  The right most car in the 1950s photo is a 36/37 Cab A,  the Red car, formerly owned for years by Warren Hoar is a 500k.

The left car is a 540K Cab B,  while the new photo shows a 500K Cab B.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, edinmass said:

One of the best tow rigs I have seen from the era........

EBF841EB-0DE3-4EFD-B6E7-8D5F3B587CE9.png

Thanks for this one Ed. The tow vehicle looks to be made from a 1923 Buick open 7 passenger model 49 on the long 124"WB. The towed car a 1924 Model 35 4 cylinder touring. Interesting dolly arrangement.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Thanks for this one Ed. The tow vehicle looks to be made from a 1923 Buick open 7 passenger model 49 on the long 124"WB. The towed car a 1924 Model 35 4 cylinder touring. Interesting dolly arrangement.  

My father had a dolly similar to this one. The iron wheels made a real lot of noise, some may have had hard rubber

002.JPG

• Like 1