Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Ed, great stuff - first time I have ever seen the interior of that Jordan club sedan. Love it.

there is a picture showing the speedway sedan and roadster in a driveway in Cleveland in the late 40s. The roadster was obviously found eventually but not the sedan which may still be hiding in Cleveland.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

there is a picture showing the speedway sedan and roadster in a driveway in Cleveland in the late 40s. The roadster was obviously found eventually but not the sedan which may still be hiding in Cleveland.

A.J.: 

I certainly hope you are correct, that at least one survives and will be found.  Those Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman sedans are one of the earliest examples of the nascent 3-box sedan configuration, as is your REO Royale Dietrich sport sedan.  Unlike your REO Dietrich, whose fine hand of design mastery is evident throughout and acknowledged, the Jordan is an advanced, sophisticated design without attribution.   I'll go out on another limb with saw in hand and credit Dietrich with its inspired, progressive design.  

'30 Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman b.png

• Like 2

Yes, The Stutz Weymann Monte Carlo, REO Royale 8-48 and Packard 845 Dietrich Newport and the Jordon Speedway Z Sportsman sport sedans are all the earliest iterations of the 3-box configuration wherein the lower body through the integrated trunk are treated as a separate mass from the greenhouse.  This at the time the 2-box touring sedan dominated the industry.    To make these work proportionally, they had to be on the longest wheelbase so the rear passenger seat could be moved forward and down from above the rear axle plane.   When that was done, the visual body mass achieves a pleasing effect where in radiator shell begins the mass and the rear of the top aligns with the rear axle plane.   Then, the integrated trunk simply echoes the rear fender shape and resolves the design nicely.    Although they don't always display the Dietrich ideal 3-2-1 window set to c-pillar proportions, the simple nearly equal door windows with 2-2-1/2 proportions are far more visually interesting than the typical touring sedan.

Suppose you can tell I particularly like this body style... 

• Like 1

AJ has good taste........proof is he likes my two new cars..............I also must give him credit where it is due......he sold the three cars I told him to............so he does listen to good advice when he gets it. 

• Haha 2