What cars are in this picture posted on another Thread

Mark Gregory

1 hour ago, Steve9 said:

The way the stock market has been riding, this program may repeat itself. I sure hope not though.

I, for one, sure hope it does.

I have a short list and some cash on hand, just in case.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Hi Steve,

In some ways, the depression we are now beginning to recognize, will resemble those of the past. In other ways, significantly different. This world-wide crisis will be unique. Will combine economic collapse, and medical pandemic. I suggest practicing yoga. Become limber enough to kiss the backside of your left knee goodbye. I see you are over 60 years old in Seattle, as I am also. We are going to have to depend on ourselves. Please heed all recommended safety procedures, and extrapolate to go a step or two beyond the minimum. I expect to die from this, as I am not only 75 years old, but am very sick with cardiac, respiratory, diabetic, and kidney issues. Take care, everyone. This is not a dress rehearsal.    -   Carl 

P.S. Steve, you will be aware of the "use it or loose it" law in Seattle. You know : drive your car every three days whether you have somewhere to go or not, or it will be impounded off the street. My car was just impounded after it was tagged 17 hours after I had just driven it.. The orange sticker I took off the windshield gave me until 10:10 a.m. Monday to move or get towed. I went out at 9:00 Monday to drive it, but Lincoln towing was already hooked-up and rolling out. I am too sick and Chinese Crown Virus vulnerable to go get it, ('95 Cad Fleetwood Brough Hog with 67k miles - at least Sandy and I recently did get to take a 3 day  trip to the Oly' Peninsula and Hood Canal in the comfortable LT-1 powered beast), so unless I can get those crooks to return my car, I will have to let it go to auction. I will then sue the city blue, since I have direct time recorded sequence of events. I don't know who you are, or what your position in the community may be. BUT At this point I would like to communicate with any interested party off forum. Anyone interested in details, please send me a PM. Thank you, everyone, for your support and friendship here in the wonderful world of AACA forums. You all are my salvation in the toughest time in the dusk of the Winter of my life.     -     CC 

F4546E9E-A68E-4EBF-B6A4-FD38E4928478.jpeg

52C87695-B4FF-412B-8931-A801702B6C04.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add pictures showing time I was told I had, and the 911 call I made during the ensuing confrontation. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hang in there, Carl. Our community needs you. I work in Ballard and I’ve seen an explosion of these tags on all our junk motor homes. I’m sorry you’ve been caught in this crazy dragnet, but you have the facts to save your hide thankfully. Warm weather will kill these viruses soon, I expect to meet you and your Caddy in fine shape. We can cruise to the Edmonds waterfront then.

32 minutes ago, Steve9 said:

Hang in there, Carl. Our community needs you. I work in Ballard and I’ve seen an explosion of these tags on all our junk motor homes. I’m sorry you’ve been caught in this crazy dragnet, but you have the facts to save your hide thankfully. Warm weather will kill these viruses soon, I expect to meet you and your Caddy in fine shape. We can cruise to the Edmonds waterfront then.

Ballard ! Well then, let's take the ancient Cad starting with a beer and a bowl at MIke's Chili and then take the scenic route through Richmond Beach and Woodway all the way to right here pictured at the old Hainey Wharf, North of Edmonds. 25 mph speed limit almost all the way, and very few stop lights or stop signs. Should have some warm dry weather in a month or so. By then, hopefully I will have this hassle behind me.      -    Carl 

C92EE15D-47A6-43EE-AB9F-8031AA9C1ABA.jpeg

19CCDF3E-5F1E-4C70-B705-F646D79CB821.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Ballard ! Well then, let's take the ancient Cad starting with a beer and a bowl at MIke's Chili and then take the scenic route through Richmond Beach and Woodway all the way to right here pictured at the old Hainey Wharf, North of Edmonds. 25 mph speed limit almost all the way, and very few stop lights or stop signs. Should have some warm dry weather in a month or so. By then, hopefully I will have this hassle behind me.      -    Carl 

That sounds like a fun trip Carl!

I lived in Ballard for a while as a kid, grew up in Edmonds, many summer days at Richmond Beach.

I found recently that Woodway Elementary School has been razed and replaced with a park.... surprisingly, named after one of the kids in my class! 😄

Hang in there C-Carl! As others said, we need and enjoy your wisdom!

That our elected officials allow this sort of deceit and outright thievery is unacceptable! That the local media doesn't jump all over it is proof that they are complicit with the thieves in office. That such a thing would be done during the current health crisis is unforgivable.

My apologies for a slight rant.

We're with you man! Who did you PO, I think that one of your neighbors has you in his sights. I might be mistaken, but I don't think that police will respond unless there is a complaint. The new arrivals with their political surrogates are determined to take over our city. Hang in there and give them hell! Can any of us help?

This virus crap has us all on edge. I'm 76 and don't have the health problems you do, but it's tough to maintain a normal routine. I still own a home in West Seattle, but live in Hobart, right next to the water shed. About as far away as it's possible to be.

Bill

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

😉😉. Care to share that short list?

Ben

Sorry Ben, but heck no !!! 😳

If it became public, values of my desires would likely be subjected to market manipulation by some unscrupulous individuals, preventing those values to come down even to the outer edges of the universe in which I could seriously start just dreaming of someday one or more becoming within my financial reach ...☹️

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TTR said:

Sorry Ben, but heck no !!! 😳

If it became public, values of my desires would likely be subjected to market manipulation by some unscrupulous individuals, preventing those values to come down even to the outer edges of the universe in which I could seriously start just dreaming of someday one or more becoming within my financial reach ...☹️

Dang it that was a mouthful!  😄.  Oh well, guess my two dollars are safe.

Ben

• Haha 3

Related to the photo that started this thread.  

I have always loved it because it captures something that we are all familiar with, car values and depreciation. 

It is very difficult to find guides for used cars published before FDR's new deal programs. They either didn't print many or they were very cheap and disposable and most didnt survive. 

The seller is offering his car for a low price, but how low was it?  Obviously the pictures was after the end of October 1929, crash. He might have just bought his car (summer 1929?) or he might have owned it for an entire year (first sold fall of 1928?) used car value guides typically refine their numbers at least quarterly and some list different values based on location. 

These scans are from a guide showing values for late spring and early summer of 1929. (closest that I could come from my collection) They show two numbers one based on actual sales (few reported) and one listed as being based on appraisals. (wholesale value) You will note that even before the crash he had already experienced a 50% loss from factory price in just 12 months of ownership. <yikes!> 

Offering his car for $100 would represent a 86% drop from even that wholesale value. 

No wonder he is not smiling. 

1929 used car report_0001 (842 x 1115).jpg

1929 used car report_0002 (842 x 1114).jpg

1929 used car report_0003 (842 x 1138).jpg

"May you live in interesting times". I just believe in OJ (grovestand - max pulp) and 500 MG of vitamin C. Most illnesses are short (24-36 hrs) and violent.

Have a relatively low but reasonable bid in on a car, seller still trying to get retail. Am fine either way.

Someone up Carl's way needs to see if they can retrieve his car for him before the 'authorities' sell it out from under him.

Hang in there, Carl.

• Like 2

File a complaint against the tow company, Lincoln Towing, for hauling it before the full 72 hour period. That would be a theft, not a legal tow. They are required to keep detailed records, subject to audit. Maybe the records could have been falsified.

consumerprotection@seattle.gov

Consumer Protection
ATTN: Tow Company License
P.O. Box 34214
Seattle, WA 98124-4214

If you would like to submit a tow company application in person, email consumerprotection@seattle.gov or call inspector Adam Hollinger at 206‑233‑7093.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.55&full=true

(4) A registered tow truck operator shall record and keep in the operator's files the date and time that a vehicle is put in the operator's custody and released. The operator shall make an entry into a master log regarding transactions relating to impounded vehicles. The operator shall make this master log available, upon request, to representatives of the department or the state patrol.

RCW 46.55.080
Law enforcement impound, private impound—Master log—Certain associations restricted.
(1) If a vehicle is in violation of the time restrictions of RCW 46.55.010(14), it may be impounded by a registered tow truck operator at the direction of a law enforcement officer or other public official with jurisdiction if the vehicle is on public property, or at the direction of the property owner or an agent if it is on private property. A law enforcement officer may also direct the impoundment of a vehicle pursuant to a writ or court order.
(2) The person requesting a private impound or a law enforcement officer or public official requesting a public impound shall provide a signed authorization for the impound at the time and place of the impound to the registered tow truck operator before the operator may proceed with the impound. A registered tow truck operator, employee, or his or her agent may not serve as an agent of a property owner for the purposes of signing an impound authorization or, independent of the property owner, identify a vehicle for impound.
(3) In the case of a private impound, the impound authorization shall include the following statement: "A person authorizing this impound, if the impound is found in violation of chapter 46.55 RCW, may be held liable for the costs incurred by the vehicle owner."
(4) A registered tow truck operator shall record and keep in the operator's files the date and time that a vehicle is put in the operator's custody and released. The operator shall make an entry into a master log regarding transactions relating to impounded vehicles. The operator shall make this master log available, upon request, to representatives of the department or the state patrol.
(5) A person who engages in or offers to engage in the activities of a registered tow truck operator may not be associated in any way with a person or business whose main activity is authorizing the impounding of vehicles.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:17 PM, Mark Gregory said:

Do not give up yet C Carl 

On 3/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, Steve9 said:

Hang in there, Carl. 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, GregLaR said:

That sounds like a fun trip Carl!

On 3/13/2020 at 1:59 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Hang in there C-Carl! ........................That our elected officials allow this sort of deceit and outright thievery is unacceptable! That the local media doesn't jump all over it is proof that they are complicit with the thieves in office. That such a thing would be done during the current health crisis is unforgivable.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:16 AM, Buffalowed Bill said:

We're with you man! Who did you PO, I think that one of your neighbors has you in his sights. I might be mistaken, but I don't think that police will respond unless there is a complaint. The new arrivals with their political surrogates are determined to take over our city. Hang in there and give them hell! Can any of us help?..........

Bill

2 hours ago, zepher said:

Someone up Carl's way needs to see if they can retrieve his car for him before the 'authorities' sell it out from under him.

Hang in there, Carl.

Thank you all for your much appreciated support. I owe you a much more detailed explanation than I originally dared to put into print here. Please give me a few hours to collect my thoughts, go sit in my warm and toasty sun porch, and let some, if not all, hang out. Between now and then, just a few points

First, Wayne pretty much sums up the treacherous and predatory nature of the situation. However, you can bet your ears that I first called our remaining mainstream print newspaper. They are very interested, and have been aware of this abuse for a very long time. In fact, the guy I talked to, like far too many victims in this bizarre, provincial, disfunctionally governed Northwestern backwater, has had his car taken by the vehicle russlers. Unfortunately all news media here in the epicenter of the pandemic here in the US, are SWAMPED !

They encouraged me to not drop the ball, and they want me to stay in touch. "We'll see what happens".

Next, Bill, your jaw will drop so far it will bounce off your kneecaps when I tell you all who I PO'd and why. My immediate neighbors have great respect for me and how I am extremely considerate of their safety in the way I park. More of this later. It also doesn't hurt my local standing that I saved a neighbors life during one of my civilian crime patrols.

And lastly, just for now, don't get ulcers worrying about me. This is very, in fact I would say EXTREMELY hard on me. But in the over all scheme of things, it too will pass, as we hope the Chi-com crown virus also will. I am still able to escape and enjoy and find peace in the idyllic universe we all share on this civilized, supportive, cooperative, truly democratic AACA forum. Oh, if only our gummin were so.

Thanks again, my dear and treasured friends. As did MacArthur, and  Arnold, I'll be back. First it is time for lunch, and then I will "set a spell" on the traditional American front porch and collect my writers thoughts. I think this calls for some Bluegrass music. Doesn't get anymore traditional American than that. Defiance of tyranny is in our collective National DNA.     -   Carl

P.S. WOW !!!!!! THANKS GUYS !!!!!!  I was tapping away during the recent contributions you have made. Mike, special thanks to you, always the great researcher that you are. I will follow up. Lunchtime. You local guys and gals can join me in one of my favorite Sunday radio programs. Bluegrass on KBCS, 91.3. Streaming at KBCS.fm.

AF38251F-7C1C-48F1-895A-12080AFBF5A9.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Mike, 

That is my little 50 acre mini ranch about 100 Crow miles East of lunacy. I am trying to dump the Seattle dump and live 'til I die in peace on my little piece of Heaven pictured. VERY different mindset. Too bad I wasn't settled in out ranch side already. I provisioned up some years ago in order to survive a pandemic for at least a year if one came.No nobody to upset my apples,(except one nasty neighbor - doesn't every neighborhood have one?  -  he is 3 and a half miles away, too close for comfort in these wild parts). We even get Mountain  Lions on site, but with proper hunting permit, we can reap elk, hoof on property. More than plenty for the cats and me.   -    Carl 

43 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Not to ruin a good thread but that photo looks photoshopped to me.

No, just the first flag pic popped up, lazy me, I went for it. I had just got a brand spankin' new iPad mini  and plinked a few shots before, during and after delivering a car to my friend Mark Shaw downstate from me. See how "fuzzed" these are ? From the literal "dead skunk in the middle of the road, (stinkin' to high Heaven)", to the beautiful scenery along the way, and at Mark's shop, I didn't realize that I had a little piece of clear plastic wrap protecting the lens on the new device. When I left to head back North, I looked at my pics, and saw the plastic. Too late for the earlier pics, but at least the lens had been protected.  🤔😏😢😂🤪 !!! Alright. My quill is inked, New program, "The Art of Jazz", knkx.org  3:00-6:00. Mostly great stuff, but some too far-out and weird for me. I will sit here until I get my explanation as right as I can. 

No worries about the antique Suburban. '74  4 speed, full-time,(I LOVE full-timers, believe '74 was the only year which combined it with the 4 speed, odd, somewhat crippled duck that it is, automatics rule off road), heavy duty fully optioned, 4,11s, locker, A/C etc, etc, Supposed to have been "Baja Bound" when I got it over 40 years ago. But took the Off-road modified '71 Cadillac Eldorado convertible instead. Yeah, lemmee git to telling the sad story.     -    CC 

2A94D717-390A-4EF2-85BC-9EB4DA262905.jpeg

37BDEE86-297F-4114-A662-9719638428AC.jpeg

13014A1E-9DC4-4D62-AB59-DCC4F6E14F8C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, C Carl said:

No, just the first flag pic popped up, lazy me, I went for it. I had just got a brand spankin' new iPad mini  and plinked a few shots before, during and after delivering a car to my friend Mark Shaw downstate from me. See how "fuzzed" these are ? From the literal "dead skunk in the middle of the road, (stinkin' to high Heaven)", to the beautiful scenery along the way, and at Mark's shop, I didn't realize that I had a little piece of clear plastic wrap protecting the lens on the new device. When I left to head back North, I looked at my pics, and saw the plastic. Too late for the earlier pics, but at least the lens had been protected.  🤔😏😢😂🤪 !!! Alright. My quill is inked, New program, "The Art of Jazz", knkx.org  3:00-6:00. Mostly great stuff, but some too far-out and weird for me. I will sit here until I get my explanation as right as I can. 

No worries about the antique Suburban. '74  4 speed, full-time,(I LOVE full-timers, believe '74 was the only year which combined it with the 4 speed, odd, somewhat crippled duck that it is, automatics rule off road), heavy duty fully optioned, 4,11s, locker, A/C etc, etc, Supposed to have been "Baja Bound" when I got it over 40 years ago. But took the Off-road modified '71 Cadillac Eldorado convertible instead. Yeah, lemmee git to telling the sad story.     -    CC

Sorry.  Not the flag pictures - the car for sale for 100 bucks picture.   The sign looks shopped in to me.

Oh, but I have seen that pic many years ago, I think before photoshop. Say, don't you think this is 100% hijacking of this thread by me.? Should I start a new dedicated topic ? Maybe call it   911 : WHAT IS YOUR EMERGENCY 

Just satisfy my curiosity, the picture of Mt. Rainier, it has to be Hwy 12, correct? In these trying times it just makes me want to take a drive over the hump, or go up to Hurricane Ridge, or take Hwy 6 over to the ocean. All doable within several hours on these roads so lightly tread. I count my blessings every day-it becomes much easier when we live where we are.

Bill