Chrysler Master Parts Catalog 1924 - 1933

I bought this book from Faxon Auto Literature and I’m having a hell of a time finding what I want in it.  I’m working on a 1928 Model 72 roadster designated in the catalog as a Model J.  When I look at parts categories like right rear fender I find other models listed but no “J”.  Sometimes the model is listed as “72” and not “J”.  I know there should be a listing for a Model J or 72 right rear fender but I cannot find it.  The same for other parts like fender hardware, no "J".  Please explain how this catalog "works" and show me the error of my ways......  

Not sure which Auto Lit you have, but I think you will find the 1928 Model J (or 72) right rear (Roadster) Fender listed on page C-12-8 (lower right section of page) in the Chrysler Master Parts List of August 1934 for all cars prior to 1934 Model year. Several parts #'s are listed for that specific fender depending on your car's serial#. (likely due to minor changes during production), starting with #84158, 379995, 379960 and 379997. When using these parts lists, it is important to remember generic parts are usually in general listing areas (wheels, door handles perhaps), but parts specific to a Roadster only are listed in section dedicated to Roadsters (section C-27). Right Rear Fenders are often similar for Coupes, Convertibles and Roadsters.

Hi Gunsmoke, yes I found the right rear fender where you said, thank you.  Now moving on to the fender attachment parts beyond the fenders again I cannot find any references to the attachment hardware for roadsters?

I also have this parts book. It is useful only to see if some parts are compatible with other models, but if you look up a fender for your car and find the part number for your car, all and good, but try advertising for a fender with that part number, and your chances of getting that part are pretty much Zero.

If you cannot repair the fender that you have, then you will have to put on some pretty detailed pictures and measurement of the part you are wanting. A fender from a sedan may not be wide enough for your car. A fender from a coupe  may be identical size, but the mounting holes may be in a different place. Look carefully or fix the ones you have.

Viv.

The main reason I got this catalog was to try and identify the right size fasteners (nuts & bolts) for assembling the car since it's a basket case.  I was hoping that you could easily find part "A" attaches to part "B" with -------, but not so until someone explains the method behind the indexing of the catalog to me.

OK, also got your PM. The rears on my CD8 were secured by carriage bolts snugly inserted in rear quarter panel fender well (not easily removable) from backside of body, and fenders had oblong holes to fit over ends of carriage bolts. Fender was secured by large "body washer" (about 1.5" dia) and regular hex nut. I note parts book for your model J says large and small washers? Since the carriage bolts were likely put in place as part of the rear quarter panel, they may be listed in that section? The pages C-12-18 to C-12-22 include several references to Model 72 screws, bolts, nuts and washers, but will be of little use to you since descriptions of size etc are not included. There are several cars like this around, see if someone who has one can provide a picture. Were it me, I'd do something similar to the '31's I noted above and see photos below (extra reinforcement is for RS step plate bracket. Anyway, happy hunting.

CD8 patchpanels3.jpg

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke
added photo and more detail (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nice photos!  Thank you.  What do they call those 4 bright metal strips that are on top of the deck directly in from of the rumble seat?  I believe my 72 should have them too. Ah, regarding nut and bolt sizes, taking the part number of those nuts and bolts, there is a section called Standard Parts (C-18-1 thru C-18-24) dedicated to all fasteners, match them up and it will tell you the size and finish.

Edited by leomara (see edit history)