1937 Cord 812 Supercharged Cabriolet

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/el20/the-elkhart-collection/lots/r0013-1937-cord-812-supercharged-cabriolet/820658

Serial No. 812 32023 F
Chassis No. 1023
Engine No. FC 3232
Body No. C 92 260

• A genuine factory-supercharged Cord ‘Sportsman’
  • Formerly the personal car of Cord expert Lee Richardson
  • An excellent example with numerous accepted, reversible improvements
  • Auburn Cord Duesenberg (ACD) Club Certified Category 1 (C-268)

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

I can't emphasis enough what a GREAT cars these are.   People get scared of the mechanics,  but they are fairly easily sorted and the club has figured out all the minor engineering updates that Cord didn't have time to.

What’s the trick to accomplishing smooth shifts (the mechanical portion, not the operator portion)?  As a kid a family friend had one that was well sorted and that particular aspect was a point of positive distinction for their car, but I don’t recall ever hearing the method for accomplishing it. 

One of the tricks for smooth shifts is to regulate the amount of vacuum to the shift cylinders.  With full vacuum from the engine, the attempted shift is too fast and may grind gears.  There is an inline control valve that is sold specifically for this purpose.

When I did some work on my Cord, I unwittingly slightly kinked the main copper vacuum line to the transmission. The car shifted better than it ever had.  I showed it to my good friend who’s doing a little mechanical work on the car (actually, a lot of mechanical), and told him whatever he did, DON’T fix that kink!

• Like 1

I drove one two weeks ago and the 2nd, third and fourth gear shifts were clunk free.  I was grinding going in to first but now I know the trick.  You go to neutral as you are slowing down and then to first on the last half turn if the wheel as you stop.

• Like 1

When I first had trouble with my shifting, I called a well known Cord expert and asked if he could straighten it out for me.

The conversation went something like:

Are you mechanically inclined at all?

Me:well, yes, I’ve restored numerous cars, hands-on, but the Cord....

Ok, are you going to drive the car at all?

Me: well, yes, I enjoy driving my cars

OK, then, here’s the deal...when you’re stuck on the side of the road with most other cars, someone can help you.  With a Cord, you can only help yourself.  Get the diagrams and the information on how Cords shift, and fix it yourself.  Then, at least you have some chance of making round trips......

It was great advice......

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

I drove one two weeks ago and the 2nd, third and fourth gear shifts were clunk free.  I was grinding going in to first but now I know the trick.  You go to neutral as you are slowing down and then to first on the last half turn if the wheel as you stop.

Thanks for the reply!   That seems counterintuitive to me.  Slow the rpms on the down shift?  

12 hours ago, trimacar said:

One of the tricks for smooth shifts is to regulate the amount of vacuum to the shift cylinders.  With full vacuum from the engine, the attempted shift is too fast and may grind gears.  There is an inline control valve that is sold specifically for this purpose.

When I did some work on my Cord, I unwittingly slightly kinked the main copper vacuum line to the transmission. The car shifted better than it ever had.  I showed it to my good friend who’s doing a little mechanical work on the car (actually, a lot of mechanical), and told him whatever he did, DON’T fix that kink!

Thanks for the reply!  I wonder how one accomplishes the proper vacuum setting, sans unintentional vacuum line restriction.  Has anyone written a “how to tune your Cord”?  

2 minutes ago, SparkEE said:

Thanks for the reply!   That seems counterintuitive to me.  Slow the rpms on the down shift?  

I guess I should have pointed out that I'm not actually shifting when I move the lever from 2,3,4 to Neutral because the transmission only shifts when you depress the clutch.  It is a "preselector". 

There is a wealth of knowledge on how to maintain and repair (and upgrade) the 810/812 Cord within the ACD club. 

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I guess I should have pointed out that I'm not actually shifting when I move the lever from 2,3,4 to Neutral because the transmission only shifts when you depress the clutch.  It is a "preselector". 

There is a wealth of knowledge on how to maintain and repair (and upgrade) the 810/812 Cord within the ACD club. 

I follow you.  What I meant is, I’d expect to speed up the engine when down shifting (if double clutching were an option) to match the speed of the lower gear.  It seems like a good understanding of how to tune the shifting mechanism would be invaluable.

I’ve been a member of the ACD club for a while but missed the articles on tuning a cord transmission, I guess.  Maybe I’ll dig back through.  

Again, thank you for your answer!

...beautiful vehicles!

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, SparkEE said:

I follow you.  What I meant is, I’d expect to speed up the engine when down shifting (if double clutching were an option) to match the speed of the lower gear.  It seems like a good understanding of how to tune the shifting mechanism would be invaluable.

I’ve been a member of the ACD club for a while but missed the articles on tuning a cord transmission, I guess.  Maybe I’ll dig back through.  

Again, thank you for your answer!

...beautiful vehicles!

The club issued a "transmission book" sometime in the late 70s or 80s.   If you figure out how to get a copy let me know,  I think we could use a copy too.

8 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

On the third picture, do I see an alternator in the back ?

And just wait till Ed sees those 8 hose clamps. He'll have a "coronary"........

Mike in Colorado

Hack!

Sorry, I can’t help myself...........

Nothing wrong with a bone stock Cord........If you know what you are doing. They are a great tour car, and with a little bit of effort, trouble free.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Justin Kerns said:

I sure can!  We have sold out of the old manual but the club is well into creating a brand new one that will be available in the coming weeks.  I can post up here when they're available.  They will be greatly improved and updated vs the previous version.

Thanks @Justin Kerns, I’d be interested.

• Like 1