Top Bows Restoration Source

crazycars

I own a nice, solid 1915 Maxwell touring car but the top bows are a real mess.  Wood bows have rotted and broken areas. The "sockets" or metal tubes the bows fit into are deteriorated, also.  This work is beyond my normal mechanical/ body work skill. Does anyone know of a shop that restores top bow assemblies? How could they possibly be shipped?  Any answers greatly appreciated. 

For your sockets contact John  Boorinakis
545 Dairy Road
Auburn, CA 95603
Phone 530-885-4956

Not sure if he has wood bows or not. If you give me the outside - outside width of the bow you need, I might have some. I would suggest you stay away from laminated bows. Go with solid clear oak...

Frank

Another person you should check out is Restorer32, a long-time participant on this forum. Highly respected. He has a couple of posts in the Commercial Advertisements section of this forum: Body rewooding and Oak Bows. 

His website is PennDutchRestoration.com

• Like 1

Spotted someones prior post - you have to give them something to work with - a plan /drawing, or - ... actual size, but nothing fancy/extravagant. 

If you are looking to refinish the bows and mount them in yours irons here is an alternative.  I just picked up the bows for my 1923 MOON from an Amish carriage maker.  I received three regular bows and one four inch wide bow.  I have to do all the shaping and refinishing.  The cost was $187 which included tax.  The company is Community Carriage & Leather, 937-386-3368, Peebles OH.  Real nice to work with and they can do everything from top to interior.

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1