Sign in to follow this  
rjp

1924 Air Cleaner Paint

What Color, if any, was the air cleaner on a 24 franklin? Thanks

Roger,

The Series 10 & 11A with a Stromberg OE-1, and the 11B with the OE-2 air cleaners had no paint.  The top section was dull nickel plate over steel, with a bare cast aluminum mounting horn.

Paul

Both of my series 10 Franklins, a 1923 and a 1925, have the air clearers painted black. The '23 was dealer upgraded from a Franklin Carb to a Stromberg, so that's questionable.

Drawing says dull nickel and that's what I've seen on originals.  Which is the same finish found on the "trombone" type intake manifolds of Series 10 and 11A.  There's plenty of examples of those in original finish left.

I paint them a "warm" silver ( I seem to remember it's called "Indian silver" ? ) for owners not wanting the cost of nickel plating.  

The 28 and later ones were painted black enamel for the steel part.

Paul

I do know its a oe-1 carb. I did not see any paint on the air cleaner but I didn't know for sure  Interesting

Posted (edited)

The OE-1 and OE-2 brass bodies and steel parts were also dull nickel plated. Sometimes called "wash" plating because it was just a fast, thin coating. Ironic term because after many decades it looks like it was washing off.

Later Strombergs all went to black paint for the cast carb parts, starting with the potmetal carbs of Series 12 & 13 and the cast iron parts for late 13 on.  But continued nickel plating  all the steel parts until Series 14 when they switched to another form of plating.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

OK, Thanks a lot Ill see what I can find at the hrdw store flat silver will be close?

I'd say get the one that looks the most like nickel and least like aluminum, which is what most silver paints use as a pigment.

If it's not dull enough to your liking, after it's dried  you can lightly rub it down with 4-0 steel wool to dull the shine.

Paul

OK, Thanks I went down and did not find Indian Silver. I came home with a sliver metallic to try. Although it looked to bright. Ill try it and see tomorrow. and on the intake. Thanks again.

Although I don't have a nickle in this conversation, here's my 2 cents worth. Maybe you could try looking for "pewter" color spray paint. It might be what you need in color.

OK, thanks I can try that

Posted (edited)

I checked in my paint room. Indian silver is a PPG mixed Delstar color, not a rattle can spray paint.  But you'd need the reducers and that could get expensive for a one part job. I had the paint mixed because I was doing more than one, plus the carburetors and trombone intake manifolds, too.

To warm the silver, try spraying the air cleaner with  brass paint. Let that dry, then mist silver paint over it lightly until you reach the warm tone of nickel. When that dries dull the shine by lightly rubbing with 4-0 steel wool.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)