1936/37 Chrysler-Desoto Airflow-Airstream Banjo Steering Wheel

This is a 36-37 Mopar Banjo Steering wheel that is in excellent condition. It’s a  17” wheel and it would be hard to find in this condition. If interested please get in touch with me for price. It’s not cheap, so keep that in mind before replying. Horn button not included. Thanks 

C7F8BE55-1020-4554-8A26-3525D5FF21E4.jpeg

A2E068E9-0913-4715-A8EF-2FD85284F533.jpeg

9BDE7E0A-F5DF-4D24-AEB9-F72A13D5F1AC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the record, I offered $1,000 for the wheel with the horn button or $800 for just the wheel and received this response:

Joe, no disrespect but I bet you would. If you got this for a grand with horn button not only it would make your day it would make your year. You might find one for a $1,000 but this is as clean as it gets, and one of my two personal Wheels that will get a good price or I’ll put in my Desoto. Only problem is I really like the wheel in my Desoto now. Thanks for offer 

I am brand new to these vehicles and my research produced no good examples to guide my offer. I wish the seller would have just indicated what he or she wanted for the steering wheel, but no such indication was provided. I hope this post offers some guidance for future offers. 

Best,

Joe

• Like 3

Maybe the seller would not want the general public to know his very high asking price.

Possibly the seller thinks his price is more than he would even offer to pay.

I don't like it when the seller says...make me a fair offer!

Well ...what's a fair offer...jeez

I know late 50's Chrysler restored steering  wheels can cost easily over $2500.00.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Joe West said:

For the record, I offered $1,000 for the wheel with the horn button or $800 for just the wheel and received this response:

Joe, no disrespect but I bet you would. If you got this for a grand with horn button not only it would make your day it would make your year. You might find one for a $1,000 but this is as clean as it gets, and one of my two personal Wheels that will get a good price or I’ll put in my Desoto. Only problem is I really like the wheel in my Desoto now. Thanks for offer 

I am brand new to these vehicles and my research produced no good examples to guide my offer. I wish the seller would have just indicated what he or she wanted for the steering wheel, but no such indication was provided. I hope this post offers some guidance for future offers. 

Best,

Joe

I had this exact wheel in my 36 Chrysler in about the same condition.  I swapped it out for a 39 Chrysler wheel that I liked better and when I sold the car just put it in the box of NOS and nice spare parts I had collected that I gave to the new owner.  Should have kept it and sold it I guess.  I would think your offer wasn't out of line.  It's a black not Ivory type wheel which seem to deteriorate much worse.  I paid around 600 complete for the 39 Chrysler one I bought off ebay and it was just shy of NOS condition. 

Would be nice if sellers posted a price. First question anyone wants to know whether it's a part a car or a service.  

Well now we know the price.  Why was it so hard to just post it in the first place and avoid the whole hassle?  Price shouldn't be a crystal ball affair on anything that is actually for sale.

Is it cracked? Looks like a crack on the last photo right under the spoke facing the camera?

Good luck to both parties.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

That’s my price crybaby joe

I don't see anything "crybaby" about Joe's posts, and for someone trying to sell something at a premium price, that's a poor comment to make.

He was actually trying to help you, so that other people wouldn't waste your or their time trying to make an offer in what they considered an affordable range.  Posting the price eliminates all that uncertainty.

I'm not conversant with value of the part, so will make no comment on asking price.

• Like 5

The cost to have the plastic recast on one of these wheels is about $2000.  This is the smaller shaft wheel as it's from a DeSoto.  It's the same wheel for 6 cylinder Chryslers.  The 8 cylinder Chryslers have a larger hub and steering shaft.  The ring in the hub outside the horn button is chrome plated steel.  This one looks good.  Plating of this ring is extra cost.  I've had a set of these rings made in stainless for future recastings  of this wheel.  If there are no cracks or crazing on this wheel, it's not a bad price considering the cost to recast this wheel.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As they say it's only worth what someone will pay.  If you still own it,  then it's not worth what you want.  What it's worth I don't know for sure but I have seen alot of nice wheels for several cars in all types of plastics and translucent colors.  Most sell for around 1000 in very nice shape except when I sell them then they only seem to be worth $600 or less and that's after they have been freshly polished as even being NOS they usually have scuffs and scratches from years of storage.  Another reason I got out of parts.  Takes alot of time to color sand and polish a steering wheel only to make $100-200 on it.

Good luck with your sale.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it it worth, I have purchased a number of items from Uptowndodge. It took someone from this forum to convince him to sell to someone down in Australia.

That being said, i have been given very fare prices on all items i have purchased from him, considering our dollar is equal to only 0.69 US and I hope to continue our friendship and dealings.

I think prices for anything depend on rarity, condition and how bad you need the part. I remember going to a swap meeting in Auz and overheard a guy say

I have been looking for this part for 15 years but then was not prepared to pay the asking price. Figure that, wait another 15 years or give up looking.

That was the price, that was the rarity and that was the condition. Pay it, leave it or move on.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, kyleAshworth said:

Is this still available?

I remember when I put this wheel up for sale and had to read all these guys talking chit especially Joe I didn’t care for him putting our conversation out in public but eventually we got over this bull once he realized what I was selling. I’ve owned five of these wheels since I bought my first 36 Dodge and I only have one left for my 36 Desoto Airstream. As one guy said in this topic maybe I afraid to post my high price, well he’s wrong I was new to this form a thought I would just tell my price if someone was interested anyway like I said I owned five and I’ve sold four and I sold each one for $2,500 nothing to be afraid of anymore the one I have for my car a guy tried talking me out of it offered me $3,000 and almost got it but I just thought sure the money sounds great but I bought it for a reason and the reason is my car. My car is still pretty far from be complete and the original wheel the three spoke brown wood grain is actually really nice I thought I would just run it and sell my banjo but it would take a offer I couldn’t refuse. The $3,000 offer didn’t make me pull the trigger so I just leave it at that. It’s a beautiful wheel but all four I sold were also beautiful and for those guys talking chit about me and my price I bet they are looking for these now. If your patient and lil bit lucky maybe you find one for $500 like I did on all five I’ve sold or you can always make me a offer I can’t refuse anyway good luck I hope you really do find what your after.

On 5/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, Uptowndodge said:

Hi and thanks for the reply. Fair enough it's your wheel so you can put what ever price you want on it, the ones that comment saying "it's not worth it" just can't afford your price or are to tight to pay for quality, I'm a believer in the poor man pays twice, they may find a cheaper wheel, by the time you strip it down have it rechromed and recast will cost around another 1500 if they get a decent job. The wheel is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. Me, I'd pay $3000 if you would take it? Are there any desoto enigine parts your after that I could throw in? I know you've already knocked that offer back and If i had more money I would offer more but with projects and life thats as far as I can stretch (more than I wanted to spend on a wheel). iv been looking for this wheel and horn for a while and this is by far the nicest one iv seen. Thanks again