Trouble removing sump 1923 23-45

Andy69

I drained about three quarts out (very interesting valve for this.  I kept looking for the drain plug, then I found this handy quarter turn ball valve already installed).  Went to drop the sump, but it seems there is at least one pan bolt that is inaccessible on the rear of the engine due to the bell housing.  It doesn’t look like it’s just a cover than can be easily removed.  The 1922-1923 reference book seems to imply it should be easier than this.  Any ideas?

Andy, 

Do you have a photo of where on the sump it appears to be stuck.  Dropping oil pans was a common practice on these cars.   I can't speak for your 1923 model, but on my 1925 model, I can drop the pan and all the bolts are accessible from the bottom side. You do have an aluminum block.  Maybe problems with one of the threaded holes?  Perhaps you need to keep a little tension on the bolt while spinning it and hope that it catches and unscrews.   Hugh  

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

On 3/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, Andy69 said:

I drained about three quarts out (very interesting valve for this.  I kept looking for the drain plug, then I found this handy quarter turn ball valve already installed).  Went to drop the sump, but it seems there is at least one pan bolt that is inaccessible on the rear of the engine due to the bell housing.  It doesn’t look like it’s just a cover than can be easily removed.  The 1922-1923 reference book seems to imply it should be easier than this.  Any ideas?

Andy That ball valve is a little slow to drain but it is pretty neat.

I know that the bell housing came of easily on my 22 six cyl and then the rear bolts were easy to get off. Seem like only 6-8 bolts on the bell housing and it dropped straight down.  It’s pretty heavy though.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, Mark Kikta said:

I know that the bell housing came of easily on my 22 six cyl and then the rear bolts were easy to get off. Seem like only 6-8 bolts on the bell housing and it dropped straight down.  It’s pretty heavy though.

You mean flywheel cover. And yeah, it's wicked heavy.