Stock Market versus Classic Car Market

stude24

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Lots of people in Air conditioning though.  Just like in the winter up North trying to stay warm.  When you get that happy median temperature where it's too hot for the virus but not too hot to be outside,  that might help.  Lorts of open air things on a warm day might not be bad.  Might as well guess like the pros at this point.  Atleast my guessing is hopeful unlike their worst case scenarios. 

The scientists don't think it's likely that the virus spread will vary much depending on the weather.  https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/science-and-technology/when-will-coronavirus-end-peak-be-over-uk-summer-trump

I would argue with them even though I'm not a scientist.  Sometimes common sense is lost in education.   If sun kills it and dry conditions don't support it (most likely the case as well as any dry wind blowing it onto surfaces that nay be hot enough to kill it in short order so it's not suspended in the air) then it is a less favorable environment than a moist 50 degree environment with no sun like our winter and spring / fall conditions. 

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

How fragile have we become as a nation if this is all it takes to make us whimper?

Except I'm not so sure it's the "public" that is wimpering rather than our "leaders", scared shitless they will be left behind in the Sky is Falling race, enacting ever more draconian edicts in order to demonstrate "LEADERSHIP".

"I'll see your school closing and raise you my liquor store shut down".................Oy Vey!..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile Working From Home has some family members very confused....

Got an email from one of the parts vendors today with Coronavirus updates.  It notes parts stocking status could be impacted by their wholesald supplier and asks for patience.  I get it, strange times for all.  Everyone is reacting.

20200317_165449.jpg

• Haha 1

Amazon had both Toilet Paper and Paper Towels this morning.

Automakers are shutting down "to protect their workers." That dealers are overflowing with new cars as sales plummet has nothing to do with it because that would be a layoff.

Florida is essentially shut down except for Deseret and the groves.

3 hours ago, mercer09 said:

BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🙂

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Ford stock down from $9.50 to $4.50

GM $36 down to $16.80

Boeing worse $344 down to $101

United Airlines $89 down to $21

Exxon $69 down to $33

Haliburton form $22 to $4.61

Bank of America $35 down to $20

I agree.  One can't time the market, but it's clear

that there are some good values out there.  It's almost like:

1965 Ford Thunderbirds down from $9500 to $4500

1965 Buick Riviera GS's down from $36,000 to $16,800

Shelby Mustang GT's down from $344,000 to $101,000

Pierce-Arrows down from $89,000 to $21,000

A beautiful brass-era Cadillac down from $69,000 to $33,000

Cutlass 442's down from $22,000 to $4610

1969 Camaros down from $35,000 to $20,000

Might you consider buying one?

• Like 1

Maybeso but with motels/hotels facing massive cancellations it is mostly natives.

Deseret is much of the reason that the turnpike has about 100 miles from St. Cloud to Ft. Pierce with only one exit (Yeehaw Junction).

News this morning is no new cases in Wuhan and Amazon has toilet paper available.

Am mostly a self-sufficient recluse anyway so no big. Much harder on some social animals I know.

When a nice driver XLR hits my price range, I'll jump. Have a space waiting.

ps just found out many beaches are closed now.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All - while working alone on my current 1918 truck restoration and listening to both the lefty and righty radio channels, I’ve had a lot of time to think. COVID19 virus, stock market plunge, massive layoffs, shortages of healthcare guys, etc. Here is what I predict and I hope I’m wrong:

1. Dow keeps dropping to 15,000.

2. Most retirement and 401ks down 50% by this summer. 

3. China tries ramping back up , but second wave of COVID19 keeps coming back. Nothing works without a cure.

4. States mobilize their National Guards to help healthcare but also enforce a new national quarantine.

5. US is ordered under true Marshall law-type quarantine at home for two weeks this April.

6. Virus keeps spreading, slowly in US for 18 months til vaccine is arrived at.

7. Federal Stimulus bills will almost “bankrupt” federal government. As a result, Paper money value will plummet.

8. US real estate values will plummet.

9. Over the next 18 months to two years, US economy is damaged worse than Great Depression. Worst damage ever in our history.

Hope I’m wrong. Ron

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

All - while working alone on my current 1918 truck restoration and listening to both the lefty and righty radio channels, I’ve had a lot of time to think. COVID19 virus, stock market plunge, massive layoffs, shortages of healthcare guys, etc. Here is what I predict and I hope I’m wrong:

3. China tries ramping back up , but second wave of COVID19 keeps coming back. Nothing works without a cure.

4. States mobilize their National Guards to help healthcare but also enforce a new national quarantine.

5. US is ordered under true Marshall law-type quarantine at home for two weeks this April.

7. Federal Stimulus bills will almost “bankrupt” federal government. As a result, Paper money value will plummet.

9. Over the next 18 months to two years, US economy is damaged worse than Great Depression. Worst damage ever in our history.

Hope I’m wrong. Ron

Well I, for one, certainly feel better now.

/goes in back yard and starts digging bunker

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

Hope I’m wrong. Ron

You might have forgot the one thing.  When things start getting really bad and some of those with an itchy trigger finger get a little too spooked,  a civil war breaks out as Gov't tries to exert more power than the populous deems prudent.  I think most are going along with it to help their neighbor and community but caged animals will bite if provoked enough.  And the media invoked hysteria has been an awfully dangerous fuse that's been lit.  Lets hope I'm wrong and things diffuse quickly. 

Maybe he's writing for the evening news now.  I will say they have been running wreckless with this. Showing pictures and sensational headlines of Children dieing with a photo of young family members,  only to read the article to find out those pictures are 20 years old or in one case the youngest guy died in the UK a father of 2 in his 40's,  only to find out he was at the end of a 2 year expected life span of a terminal illness.  Had to read deep to find that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Hope I’m wrong. Ron

All a definite possibility. Except perhaps the vaccine. As far as I am aware no vaccine has ever been successfully developed for any member of the Corona virus family . Medical science will without doubt develop more effective 

treatments for the symptoms and health conditions that come along with the virus. But a effective vaccine for the virus itself is another matter  all together.

Let's all hope for something far reduced from a worst case scenario. 

Flattening the transmission curve is crucial if Health resources are going to be able to cope with demand.

I have no doubt there are going to be some very large changes to our lives . But only the passage of time can tell us what form they will take.

Auburnseekers scenario is one to avoid at all costs.

Greg in Canada...… where for once I am a bit glad we have reasonably strict gun ownership regulations.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Being a Contrarian expect there to be a vaccine or a drug that dramatically reduces effects within a month. Availability may take a while.

Think real estate will only have a short hit, most deaths are among people who are unlikely to by real estate.

Expect my home state to take the biggest hit of all but from loss of revenue, not illness.

Telecommuting/telelearning will be come common

First run movies will be on a pay for view basis, cable companies will boom (will the Internet support it ?)

on the plus side

computer manufacturers will do very well (but then a few years ago I developed a way to use a cell phone as the basis for a real computer), certainly enough for schoolwork.

75"+ TVs will be out of stock

sales of HEPA air purifiers will boom

Amazon/Chewy/ online sales will boom

secondary effect

car manufacturers will be in real trouble

used car market will drop significantly

local stores/shops might replace big box stores: malls may disappear.

of course figure a 50/50 chance everything will be back to normal in a few months, have been through a few panics/recessions before.

but then am almost a hermit anyway...

• Like 1

Media Hysteria has been the problem all along.  Follow the dots and you will see the reason,  besides pure profit from advertising.  Hopefully once this blows over,  they won't be able to hide behind freedom of speech and the big profits they experienced will be levied in fines and possible loss of FCC licensing if they have any, or whatever department lets them broadcast and print.  A few fall and maybe things will change.  You print facts only in everything but your opinion sections and anything that is an opinion is labeled so clearly even the blind will see it. 

I wasn't around during WWII but I can only imagine the news in this country was reporting how great we were doing even in the darkest hours.  Maybe it's time to get foreign money out of our news as well. 

Also seems they are thinking of war time production of ventilators.  Why did it take anyone with brains in high places this long  to figure out this might be a good idea to start with? 

If you are talking about the under 30 population the media as you and I understand it is irrelevant . They get much of their news and information from sites on their phone that us Dino's have never even heard of. And none of the rules we have hopes  apply to media apply to anything a 20 something sees on their phone.

They are well on their way to being the most misinformed , manipulated generation in the modern era. I have a 20 year old son in the house. A generally bright kid. But I can't believe some of the things he sometimes swallows because some entertainment figure says it's so.

Try this one: a return to the way we lived in the 1950s

- local shops and restaurants

- no malls

- home delivery common

- neigborhood and small church gatherings

- bowling leagues

- increase in library use

- return of the role of "homemaker"

- doctors (or paras) make house calls

- milkmen

differences

- telecommuting

- on line learning

- massive reduction in gasoline use and car sales

Or not

• Like 2

Some of that sounds great. I don't know what we would have done in our household if my wife had of chosen to be a homemaker.

She is better educated than I am .  Has a better career than I had up to retirement and somewhat higher income. She is in health care,

so people like her might be a lot more important for the next few months than most of have been in our working lives.

In a relatively high cost of living area like South Western British Columbia I don't think we could have made it on one income.

The 1950's look decent enough but I was only born in the last few years of the decade so no personal experience.

Greg in Canada

I don't know.

Maybe this is some higher beings way of saying: "Get a grip."

Were (are) we getting too soft? Safe spaces provided on campus for the snowflakes "threatened" by words.

Our lives upended if "our" team was eliminated.

Fine wines and exotic foods the new normal.

Households unable to exist on one income.

Student debt of mega thousands that qualifies one to flip burgers or pour coffee.

Only the newest and the best of new shiny objects will do.

I could continue on and on.

I'm of the age that I can vaguely remember WW2.

I can remember my father sorting through bald tires to find one for the car.

My mother squeezing a red button in a pack of "Oleo" (fat) to make ersatz butter.

The nightly black outs with  the air raid warden and his whistle and megaphone calling out any light he might see escaping a house.

I just saw a pix from Renovo, PA. A group of women dressed in greasy coveralls, maintaining the locomotives while their men fought in the War.

They all wore an expression of, for want of a word, "CAN DO".

I don't remember anyone complaining.

So now we have a population that is distressed because:

They are short of TOILET PAPER?

Because March Madness was cancelled?

A car show is cancelled?

I don't know. I just don't know....................................Bob

• Like 3

The AACA just posted they have to close everything up by state order as all non life essential businesses have to close.  Getting real scary.  I'm sure NY won't be far behind, surprised we weren't first.  right now they are making everyone run with 50 % staff  That will show the virus who is boss.  Destroy every business but life essential ones in the country so we have no businesses left and a 75% unemployment rate with 20% left working for the Govt. and 5% essential services.  People are getting stupid over this.  (not the AACA by the way,  People in power)

Wasn't I saying rights are getting stripped away fast.  Martial law to come by Sunday all rights suspended. 

Monday we will have a whole new set of news stories to talk about. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting. Each state is different. In Florida:

"The order also included exemptions for grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, and other businesses considered vital to daily life. That includes all government buildings, coin laundries, healthcare providers, taxi operations, and carryout and delivery services from restaurants."

That Ohio company I said I've lost a lot of money on, the iron supplier, has been ORDERED to cease construction of it's new plant due to the virus possible "threat." However, their mining operations, and the operation of their old plant can continue.

So, this lacks common sense. Construction activities generally allow workers to keep some distance from each other. Welders and crane operators lifting steel beams and things like that.

In California construction work is considered essential, and all construction workers can continue, both commercial and residential.

Cleveland-Cliffs Temporarily Shuts Down Construction of its HBI Project
March 19, 2020
Download this Press Release (PDF)
CLEVELAND--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. (NYSE: CLF) announced today, following guidelines from the office of the Governor of Ohio regarding COVID-19 virus concerns, the Company is temporarily shutting down construction activities at its hot-briquetted iron (HBI) project site in Toledo, Ohio. Effective March 20th, all construction activity at the site will cease by the end of the business day. Cleveland-Cliffs will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and will re-start construction of the HBI plant as soon as feasible. All other Cleveland-Cliffs iron ore mining and steelmaking facilities will remain in operation.

About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.

Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs is among the largest vertically integrated producers of differentiated iron ore and steel in North America. With an emphasis on non-commoditized products, Cliffs is uniquely positioned to supply both customized iron ore pellets and sophisticated steel solutions to a quality-focused customer base, with an industry-leading market share in the automotive industry. A commitment to environmental sustainability is core to our business operations and extends to how we partner with stakeholders across our communities and the steel value chain. Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Cleveland-Cliffs employs approximately 12,000 people across mining and steel manufacturing operations in the United States, Canada and Mexico. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com

Californian here! Just FYI the shutdown includes lots of business but I told my wife that I was happy that they left auto parts stores open gives me time for projects! She rolled her eyes haha

most of where I go is considered “necessary” on the list. I’m just going out less sadly. I use sanitizer etc all the time and even change clothes when I get home. And sterilize steering wheel, etc  

ive  frequented My parts store and the old repair shop for repairs over the past week of all our cars. They have both been in business for decades and both told me they may have to close due to a lack of business. I took my father in laws Saab and now have my Toyota getting a new suspension and brakes.

1F8E755C-D79A-46B0-9452-051BD9572311.jpeg

Someone with some authority is going to need to step in and say enough is enough.  We aren't stopping a virus which is truly near impossible as much as they candy coat it to say we are and one that seems to be the same or less violent than the normal flue,  we are imploding a country. 

Never thought it could be done without even a single shot fired. Our ancestors would be mighty disappointed. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Someone with some authority is going to need to step in and say enough is enough.  We aren't stopping a virus which is truly near impossible as much as they candy coat it to say we are and one that seems to be the same or less violent than the normal flue,  we are imploding a country. 

Never thought it could be done without even a single shot fired. Our ancestors would be mighty disappointed. 

"We aren't stopping a virus..."    Yes, actually, we are.  The steps being taken to stop it have been shown to work in other countries.

"the same or less violent than the normal flu...."   I have a friend who is in his 40s, no preexisting conditions, in the hospital right now with coronavirus. He needs oxygen to keep him alive and he can't walk more than a few steps even with oxygen without becoming winded.  It's been like this for 10 days.  It is not like the normal flu.

Our ancestors would be mighty disappointed....   In the 1790s, when Philadelphia was the 2nd largest city in the new United States, 20% of the city's population died in a yellow fever epidemic.  2/3 of the city population fled the city entirely, leaving it mostly empty. I think our ancestors would understand. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Isaiah said:

What is the digest problem for all the country in the world?

All country's have it  .

Did you ever hear  Bush sr mention a 1 world order?.

snuck it in while we were playing.

Pardon?