nc car inspection

handmedownreatta

Does that mean you can no longer register it in NC?  

If you can still drive/register it in the state,  the logic of safety on the road would say older vehicles need inspected more than new ones.

Maybe the NC DOT does not operate on logic

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

Does that mean you can no longer register it in NC?  

If you can still drive/register it in the state,  the logic of safety on the road would say older vehicles need inspected more than new ones.

Maybe the NC DOT does not operate on logic

i still have to buy a tag for it.

4 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i went to get my annual safety car inspection saturday and found out that that nc considers it too old to need to be inspected.backwards logic.too bad its too hard to swap in an ls1.

I suspect a 5.3 LS from one of the Generals fwd "performance" cars of the early 2000's might work. 

NY anything pre 1995/OBD 2 is just a safety inspection. Basically does it stop and have lights and seatbelts. I know CT if it’s over 25 years old they no longer issue titles and it doesn’t need to be inspected. Jersey has over either 20 or 25 no inspection. So maybe yours just hit hay magic number. 

On 3/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, padgett said:

probably the inspectors are only trained to a certain age. Florida OTOH did away with inspections entirely.

In Florida the Governor said that once a year inspections were  just citizen harassment.   We live half year in NYS and I guess I agree with him. In NY i troop my 6 old cars to the garage in October for an inspection and i literally have to beg them to look at the car. 

It appears that state "safety" inspections are one way some states make extra money.   Others seem to think they are worth the effort to

get unsafe vehicles off the road.    While other states just gave up and eliminated them.

In Texas we have a basic state wide inspection....when you purchase a new vehicle the inspection is good for two years.  After that it must be inspected annually.

There is apparently some federal mandate that states cannot get certain federal funds if the pollution level is above certain limits.... so big cities like Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, San Antonio maybe El Paso that fail to meet the federal standard must also have vehicle pollution testing.   I would think this would hold true across the US but maybe some states do not have pollution problems. 

We do have an exception for vehicles over 25 years old registered as "Antiques".....the registration is good for 5 years, no inspection of any kind, but the vehicle cannot be a daily driver.   Only supposed to be used for club activities, shows, parades, etc.   I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for not meeting the standard.

We also have another "specialty" registration for "farm vehicles"....to qualify you must have an agriculture exemption....you must have a certain amount of land and have some animals or grow something commercially.   The vehicle with the "farm" tag is supposed to be used only to support the farm,  but there are lots of new

pick-ups of all brands that are way above basic transportation that have the "farm" tags.  I suspect law enforcement gave up  years ago trying to do anything about the misuse of the "farm" tag.....which cost much less than a standard registration.

I don't know if Texas is the leader in different tags.....I found a listing from 1996 that list and easy 30 different tags/registrations.   Not only do we have an Exempt tag for police, fire, etc.   it list a Double Exempt tag and I have no idea what they are for.  There is a Disabled tag, a Disabled Veteran, Disabled Motorcycle, Farm truck, Farm trailer, Log Loader, Token Trailer, Dealer, Antique, Classic, Bus, Radio operator, Purple Heart, (and several other veteran award tags) the list goes on.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

On 3/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, D-a-n-i-e-l said:

Series one sc is a nice upgrade.....

im actually pretty happy with the cars performance other than the sad gas mileage.but if theres a major malfunction such as the trans dying then its getting an upgrade.i hope that someone will post on the net or write a detailed book about swapping in a supercharged 3.8. 

I've got access to a '95 Riv supercharged powertrain. It's for sale. It runs GOOD.

Matter of fact it's out of the vehicle still in its cradle. They want $450 for everything, including the PCM and engine/ body harness.

I was going to buy it to put in my '90 Reatta, but I have to face reality that I'm gotting too old to do this work anymore. I had to pass; really was torn.

Anybody interested?

It's up in Aberdeen, MD.

• Like 1

a) Florida did away with inspections in the last century. Problem was the inspection had to be done at a state run station, involved a dyno, and the lines were hours long. Today many are cited by LEO for "equipment violations".

b) Piker. Florida has over 120 specialty license plates. Police just look for the annual sticker.

c) Think I still have the PCM .bin to put a L67 and a Getrag into an 88.