Marque Specific Car Registry

29 Chandler

What are some good marque specific car registry websites out there? I am familiar with the Cole website and all the great information and stories that are available there. I am looking to build one myself for a marque that does not have an Internet home yet. As a starting point I am trying to build out a list of surviving cars and owners. Over the years I have been collecting memorabilia and literature that I will use to tell the story of these cars. I have some ideas to feature on the site:

• Gallery of cars with information about year and model
  • History page to summarize the history of the company
  • A place for current owners to "register" their car with us if only to gather info and keep track of which cars are left.
  • A page to help future owners determine what year and model their car is.
  • A place to showcase ads, pictures, and memorabilia, etc.

Maybe you have some suggestions of pages that could/should be part of a marque specific website. One thing I will not have available is contact information for each of the cars in the registry. Owners and their car's location will be private.

Just now, prewar40 said:

We host the site for the Gardner Motor cars:  www.gardnermotorcars.com.

Thanks I'll give it a look. Any tips for one getting ready to build one?

I should note I also am the webmaster for our local chapter of the HCCA so this is not my first stab at building out a website.

SoCalHCCA.com

I’d like to encourage any new web site for any marque, I believe the gardnermotorcars.com site has
made a difference to that brand. I’ll send a PM and give you an idea of what I’ve learned over the years.
But here’s a partial list of some of the benefits a web site can bring to the hobby.
An owners’ registry was printed and we went from 65 known cars to 152.
We located 4 parts cars that made a restoration possible.
Cars were sold to members of AACA and kept original.
Parts made by a machine shop were done in bulk and made available at a lower cost.
Questions were answered, think of how many questions can be answered with a picture and the
information from original lit.
The owners registry is made available only to those that own a car. I do include contact information such
as email and phone with their permission. This led to direct contact between members and mutual
assistance with restorations.
The Gardner car is much better known today than just a few years ago.

• Like 1

For E-Type Jaguars, there is

http://xkedata.com/

The background info, etc. is still being developed. The registry has over 21,000 cars! Anyone can add photos and comments. A general location is given if known,  and owners can voluntarily register with their names if they wish.

As a MODEL specific site there is

https://300f.com/

For 1960 Chrysler 300-Fs. The registry aspect is relatively small, but he did a really nice job with background info, original advertising, factory photos and more which could inspire a marque specific site

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, padgett said:

The Reatta website used to have user scanned service and parts manuals but GM lawyers removed it.

As long as its printed prior to 2009, it belonged to the old null and void General Motors Corporation which went bankrupt.  Therefore, it should be open property to post on anyone's website.

Craig

2X on the Franklin Site

We have our web sight hosted by a young guy, he charges a couple hundred a year to maintain it.   We have found the burden on a particular person is high, with a site manager it works better for us.  We have a Registry but it is club only, we have had too many problems with scammers getting peoples addresses.

image.png.90aa143745a220c18f33571c151da952.png

https://www.grahamownersclub.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

As long as its printed prior to 2009, it belonged to the old null and void General Motors Corporation which went bankrupt.  Therefore, it should be open property to post on anyone's website.

Actually, that's not the case (sorry to point out).

Copyrights are not voided by a bankruptcy, so those

manuals still belong to someone.

A bankrupt company's property, including trademarks,

copyrights, patents, and so on, is typically acquired

by some other company--maybe in this case by the

newly reorganized GM.  To illustrate, the trademarks

of "Chevrolet," "Cadillac," etc. didn't get voided, and the

company is still using them.

4 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I think a registry should have everyone's car listed, with a photo and owners name and city, unless the owner opts out.

Agreed, that is what I am compiling now for owners that are sending me their information. The personal information will be private and not listed on the public site. Car information, counts per year, total cars in the registry, etc will be available for anyone to see. Including as many car pictures as I can get.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and links to some great sites, I never would have found some of these without your input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 29 Chandler said:

Agreed, that is what I am compiling now for owners that are sending me their information. The personal information will be private and not listed on the public site. Car information, counts per year, total cars in the registry, etc will be available for anyone to see. Including as many car pictures as I can get.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and links to some great sites, I never would have found some of these without your input.

Yes, keep the personal info private and the most I give in the Cole registry is the state where the car resides, unless it is at a museum.  I have learned that many car owners and collectors are very private and you have to build up some trust.  I do make connections when needed and the Cole registry has been valuable to the owners and to the marquee.  One other thing we do in with the Cole registry is even connect private sellers with potential buyers without publicizing any info.  It keeps the Coles with new owners that are more passionate about the marquee.  

I do it as a hobby and pay for the website myself as it costs me maybe $100 a year for the hosting and I update the site myself.  I have been busy with work lately and need to do some updates but it is pretty easy.   Having a registry website has been instrumental in helping people find information about Coles.  I even got an email from Charles Crawford’s great grandson last month as he was looking for more info on his family.  Crawford was Coles chief engineer for most of the companys history and made some big impacts on the auto industry at the time.  It was great talking to the individual about his family history.  Connections like this never happen without having a home for the marquee. 

I honestly think some of the big clubs like the AACA should help support and promote marquee registries as it promotes a more grassroots support network and interest in brands which improves the enjoyment and connection of owners.  This can then tie into more members and support for the bigger club.  I may even have a few spaces at Hershey this year for the Cole registry with a Cole on display just for the phone of it and to make more connections.  Let me know what you need.  

Edited by kfle (see edit history)