1922 rear axle Main Tube lock washers

While disassembling my rear axles and bearings I noticed that on the star shaped lock washers, a number of the locking tabs were already missing, and the ones that were currently used looked like they had been bent before.  So I decided to try to find some new ones to replace them, after all, they keep the rear wheel on the car which is pretty important. I bought a number of them that were close but not close enough to use in my opinion. 

So I found a local machine shop that would make them for me. I provided the sample and they computer generated an exact replica and laser cut a stack of 20 for me.  I have provided the measurements below.  The new one fits perfectly and looks great.  I plan to keep a handful but I am willing to sell some of these to anyone else who needs them.  In my 1922 parts book these are called "Main Tube Lock Washers" and the part number is listed as 62987.  I can't seem to be able to find them in the big book to see what other years use this same washer.  Maybe some of you are better at finding things in that big book than I am.

With the setup fee I think they cost me about $8.00 ea. plus postage.  If anyone is interested just let me know.

!cid_be9c02d5-8182-44eb-9d0b-fdd39f52ed27@namprd10_prod_outlook.jpg

Star washer dimensions.jpg

New star washers completed.jpg

• Like 3

These washers (part number - 62987) were used on all 6-Cylinder models through 1923.  For the 1924 6-Cylinder models they were used only on the 41, 44, and 45.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

I have the individual years Illustrated Parts Catalogs that I can refer to for specific part numbers.  I do have an original Buick Master Parts List for 1916 - 1932 but I'll be darned if I can understand how to read it.  That group number nonsense means that the average person will not have a clue.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

Terry, 

I found this in the big book index under "Washer main tube lock", but I never would have found it if Mike did not give me what they called it in 1920.   You have to use the terms from individual year book of parts.  Then they list stuff by the adjective first sometimes- like "Back Curtain assembly" is found in the index under Back and I would think it would be under the noun Curtain.  I find that odd.      Hugh   

• Like 1

Rod,

cheapest postage to down under I could get was $20 US but I didn’t have your address to get the exact cost.  You can PM me your address and Ill get the real cost.