Latest Project

Guest J446

s_100-0064.jpg

This is a photo of my latest project. It is a 1967 Ferrari P4 which raced in many races and was driven by many famous drivers. At different times it was a coupe and at other races it was a spyder. When restoring a car you have to pick a moment in time. I've chosen to do it as a coupe as I think it's more beautiful. The body is alum except for the doors which are fiberglass. The number 3 is from the last time John Surtees drove the car. The engine is 200ci.

24 plugs, 3valve heads, mechanical FI it makes 450Hp@8500rpm. The oil and water run through the chassis tubes. Ferrari recast the uprights for me and Campanello recast the wheels for me.

Wow, what a great car! Truly a work of art and i applaud you for rebuilding it as a coupe. I was watching speedvision last weekend and they had that Ferrari special on again with David Decadeny (sp?). I have seen this show many times but just could watch it every weekend I think without being bored.

So which races did this car win?

Shawn Miller

Indiana Region

Boy, I remember these cars well, though I never saw one in person -- only pictures.

As I recall (probably not accurately) the P4 was Ferrari's last effort to keep up with the Ford Mk II and Mk IV large block endurance racers. In the end there was no substitute for cubic inches and the talented and well funded program at Ford.

Knowing you, I can imagine your neighbors will see and hear this car at the local drive in before too long, perhaps with J446 along side!

Bill

Albuquerque, NM

You are right I will defineately be driving this one on the street. Driving cars brings up an interesting point. If you saw "Gosford Park" they had several beautiful classic RR's which were all chauffer driven. If you look at the adds that Duesenberg ran they always featured "This man (or woman) Drives a Duesenberg" Duesenbergs were meant to be driven by thier owners. They were also meant to be raced. Duesenberg was the first american co to win a grand prix, raced at LeMans and Indy. J446 like my Ferrari P4 has a cockpit adjustable brake bias adjuster.

You are right about the big Fords. The Ford MK-IV remains the only car made in America to have won LeMans. When I drive mine, or any of my cars for that matter, I realize just how lucky I am.

Best

Your guess is spot on. These wheels are very wide. 11X15 front 15X15 Rear. They cast them from the original molds. They are works of Art. I had them cast in Alum as Mag is to fragile for me. ( The wheels in these photos are the originals. I'll mount the new ones at the end)

DearJ446,Post a picture with you holding a yard-stick next to the car so we can all appreciate the overall height or lack of height of the car.THANKS,dizz tongue.giftongue.gif

There are very few people left who can do this type of work. John Hydack Jr of MetalCrafters in Indy is doing this part of the restoration for me. He is very very good.

• 1 month later...