Sign in to follow this  
trackhound

looking for someone to make "inexpensive" connecting rods

These are long rods (11.25") center to center for a 4 cyl, low rpm, 3.5" x 5.125" stroke, jug motor.

First prefernce wouold be steel but alum would be fine if it will hold up...This motor will see limited use pretty much as a driver at 2-3 shows a year.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

20200305_085040.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Posted (edited)

You need a foundry or machine shop. maybe a good robotic CNC machine. What are you building?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Call Patrick reeve at Reeve enterprises in Cazenovia NY. He may be able to point you in the right direction  315 655 8812

Posted (edited)

Finding OEM rods.... cheap. Fabricating the rods from scratch.... not cheap - especially if your paying someone.

Can it be done? Yup! We have developed the design and CAD work for a few such projects - one that comes to mind was a Mighty Michigan 40

and another was for an early Mitchell.

For the Mitchell the rods and caps will be milled from 7068 T6511 aluminum alloy and fitted with insert type bearings.

I lost track of the Michigan project so I cannot comment on how the rods came out or if they were ever made.The material we specified was

A220 pearlitic malleable cast iron. I still have the drawings and 3D CAD files.

Like many such projects there is a very significant amount of time and money that needs to be spent on 

design documents, calculating fits and clearances etc. and if your shop is using CNC than in modeling and doing the setup

and developing the tool paths etc. In fact don't be surprised if the time and cost exceeds the cost of the actual machine time 

and material cost.

2021003737_BigForty.thumb.jpg.3e354c29dc081a1d5977f09c60ff34a8.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

An old motorcycle tuning book showed plans for making connecting rods out of plate steel machined and welded together. Have seen dropped spindle supports made by welding, as a substitute for the stock forged spindle supports. Could a good welder or machine shop fabricate a connecting rod? If they can make a spindle support I don't know why not. You would want an expert welder and to Xray the rod for flaws but I don't know why it wouldn't work.