63 Rear windshield installation / trim

powerage

Hi all 

I am about to reinstall my rear windshield after sorting the usual rusted area. On the back of the surrounding stainless trim there were these plastic pieces, about 8 in total. Should I have one for each screwed on trim clip? More like twice that amount?

Its difficult to know what was supposed to be there - the windshield was held in with plumbers silicone, the bottom channel and trim clips rusted out. The screen and trim pulled out by hand with very little effort. 

Thanks guys

Matt

20200303_202958.jpg

• Like 1

Just make them out of pieces of rubber.  They are used to place the window centered & side to side & to provide support for the glass & also for placing the glass the proper height to squish the thickness of the sealer used to help seal the glass to the channel.  Most  "ribbon" that comes in a roll for our cars is 5/16ths. thick which makes installation of the stainless trim sit correctly on the glass. So the spacer is just slightly thinner. 

Sometimes two spacers, up to four, are supplied with the ribbon sealer, BUT they are just generic one size fits all which in some cases is not correct.

The only way to know EXACTLY what you need is to place the spacers where you think they are needed then install the glass "dry" with no ribbon to see where that puts the glass.  Make the nec. changes to the rubber blocks to accommodate the needed clearances, etc.

• Thanks 1

As Tom says, you might make the back part of the spacer about 1/4" thick.  That's a little thinner than the 5/16" tape -- which allows room for the tape to compress with a little sealer on the spacer.  Note also that the manual says "Shim as required" to position the window correctly.  That's why a dry fit is essential: make sure it's exactly where you want it to be before you goop it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1