jaybee47

Insurance Company Recommendations

Contrary to the experiences related above we have found insurance companies understand that antique car repairs can be bottomless pits and just want to settle the claim and move on. The last insurance job we did ended up costing double the initial estimate due to hidden damage. The company paid it without complaint. This was a $7000 claim.  We have never done any really major, i.e. $50,000 or more,  insurance jobs.  Your experience may vary.

• Like 1

Interesting. At one time I just had a '70 and '72 on JCT. Today I have a 70, 88, 00, and 01. Have been told if I buy an XLR,they can insure as an "exotic".

1 hour ago, ted sweet said:

i dropped taylor 20 years ago when they refused to insure by 73 dart with comments that cars after 1970 arent collectible and never will be

I had basically the same experience with a different company with a vehicle about 20 then again 15 years ago. That company was mentioned earlier in this discussion (Not JCT). First excuse was that the car was not old enough at 23 years old. Second excuse kind of inferred that the car was not collectible (at 28+ years old). Since then this company has been dead to me ever since. Recently my current antique insurance carrier sold their business to the company that would not touch my cars back then. Next policy renewal I will be shopping for a different carrier and will be looking closely at JC Taylor. Last Sunday at the Swap Meet at Hamburg, PA I had a nice chat with a JCT rep at this event. Very nice fella and fellow AACA member as well.

I am with Hagerty.

I like them because I get a new grocery bag and a pen for free at every major car show.

Never had a claim in my 30 plus years.

• Haha 1

We like Grundy even though we are a Hagerty Approved Repair Shop.  Jim Grundy's grandad was a Pullman dealer and he owns a Pullman. We have restored 2 Pullmans (Pullmen?).

For years I was with JC Taylor. I honestly don't know why I switched to Hagerty, but it must have been something other then an arbitrary choice. If everything had remained the same I wouldn't have made the change. In most things like insurance I don't want to think about it-put it on autopilot. I appreciate the service I have gotten for Hagerty. The old car niche insurance industry has become much more competitive since the days that JC Taylor was preeminent, four decades ago.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Contrary to the experiences related above we have found insurance companies understand that antique car repairs can be bottomless pits and just want to settle the claim and move on. The last insurance job we did ended up costing double the initial estimate due to hidden damage. The company paid it without complaint. This was a $7000 claim.  We have never done any really major, i.e. $50,000 or more,  insurance jobs.  Your experience may vary.

My repair estimate (six figures) was settled as “case closed” , i.e. no additional funding available for hidden damage or otherwise, before actual work got started, but I also invoiced them separately for dozens of hours to prepare, negotiate/argue/prove my estimate and several months worth of storage due to their feet dragging.

I’m sure those adjusters & their supervisors or the company never wants to deal with me again either. 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

7 hours ago, charlier said:

I had basically the same experience with a different company with a vehicle about 20 then again 15 years ago. That company was mentioned earlier in this discussion (Not JCT). First excuse was that the car was not old enough at 23 years old. Second excuse kind of inferred that the car was not collectible (at 28+ years old). Since then this company has been dead to me ever since. Recently my current antique insurance carrier sold their business to the company that would not touch my cars back then. Next policy renewal I will be shopping for a different carrier and will be looking closely at JC Taylor. Last Sunday at the Swap Meet at Hamburg, PA I had a nice chat with a JCT rep at this event. Very nice fella and fellow AACA member as well.

For a great many years, J.C. Taylor has, in addition to our collection of over-25-year-old vehicles, ALSO insured newer collectible vehicles, those which were less than 25 years old.

Taylor has always treated us fairly, and is always cognizant of the potential for concealed damages. - I switched to Taylor in 1985 after Grundy made it perfectly clear that they would not allow youthful drivers to drive our collectibles, and wanted me to provide a notarized document that nobody under (I believe it was) 35 years of age would drive them.

Additionally, Bob Wallace is a strong supporter of AACA, has a very effective staff, and has earned my loyalty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here in Australia, I’ve been with Shannon’s for a couple of years and no complaints.

Pretty reasonably priced, something like $150 per year with $20m liability (which is standard for pretty much every policy here)

Hagerty has been fantastic for me.  J.C. Taylor would not touch insuring a bus registered as an antique, no matter what I did.  But Hagerty made no issue of it.  Now the old bus is well insured for far less cost than I expected.  And everyone I’ve ever talked with, phone or at a Hershey meet, has been knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and just the right level of interested in my restoration project.

This is a great discussion.  I've had J.C.Taylor for years and no claims.  I have State Farm for all my other home and auto coverage.  I also have an umbrella policy from State Farm because here in New Jersey there are a lot accidents and big lawsuits because everyone who lives here is perceived to be "wealthy".  Here's the rub, State Farm will not include my collector car under my umbrella policy because  they don't have the primary policy.  If I want to switch my coverage to from J.C.Taylor to State Farm the cost for a year of coverage doubles.  It's a quandary......................

Posted (edited)

Buying insurance, be it for your home, daily driver, classic/vintage car, is like buying any other product or service, you get what you pay for, but with insurance, you unfortunately won’t  find out its real/trye value until you have a (major) claim. Prior to that you’re essentially paying for nothing more than perception for peace of mind.

Lowest premiums, elaborate promises along with practiced greetings/smiles & free trinkets offered by representatives (i.e. trained, professional salesmen/-women) of various companies at car events or shows shouldn’t be confused with “good coverage policy”.

These sales reps at car events/shows aren’t there because they want to be your buddies or hangout with you.
They’re there because it’s in their job description/expectation and are being paid to convince you into believing otherwise, i.e act like they really care.

Or do you also believe the used car salesperson* at the local auto mall truly having your or your family’s best financial interest in mind when he/she “needs to go to talk to the boss” to get you a deal for the car of your dreams or desires ?

*Not that there's anything wrong with being a used car salesperson or insurance -rep. Just like most of us, they too have mouths to feed, mortgages (with mortgage insurances) and other recurring life expenses to pay.

I know several great individuals earning a living in insurance industry and even one or two in used car sales business. 🙂

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

23 hours ago, ted sweet said:

i dropped taylor 20 years ago when they refused to insure by 73 dart with comments that cars after 1970 arent collectible and never will be

Same experience here only 8 years ago with zero claims and excellent driving record. No to 72 Corvette, 76 Citicar and 67 Amphicar. Hagerty said yes to all with agreed values including full recovery on the Amphicar if sunk ($40 additional). They also just insured my 97 Chevy Centurion pickup with agreed value. Last year lady ran a stop sign damaging the

Corvette and Hagerty could not of handled it any better dealing with her insurance company as the estimate was 50% low. Five vehicles total with agreed value for around $900.

UPDATE: I inquired with all of your recommended insurance carriers. I found Heacock Insurance (Josie Chopel, 800-678-5173 ext 6024) to be the best overall, in terms of full coverage, service and premium amount. Thank you to all for your replies and comments that enabled me to make a choice.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:15 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Matt is right  that there are many good insurance companies around.  As for JC Taylor, they have been a huge supporter of AACA.  They have donated extensively to all our projects including our building fund and the annual meeting.  They are the longest running advertiser in our magazine.  Fine people and a company that gives extensively to the hobby.

They also strongly support many of the marque clubs. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:10 AM, TTR said:

These sales reps at car events/shows aren’t there because they want to be your buddies or hangout with you.

They’re there because it’s in their job description/expectation and are being paid to convince you into believing otherwise, i.e act like they really care.

Yes, understand what you are saying but I dunno; the Hagerty people that I've met, MANY are personally involved with vintage car ownership and involvement.  I contacted Hagerty to discuss a question yesterday and spoke with a really nice, enthusiastic rep.  We discussed my vehicles, their usage, Hagerty Road Service (yes, they still cover retired fire trucks) She mentioned previously working at The Henry Ford / Greenfield Village and how much she enjoyed Motor Muster and Old Car Festival.  Said she was going to try to attend this year.  Then there was the Hagerty employee who was driving a Model A (I think) as his every day car for a year including Michigan winter.  And Tara - - she's cool.  Works in the offices, collects vintage Cadillacs, photographer, bird rescue and races forget if it was bikes or cars. She was on one of the build teams at Hershey a few years back.  i could go on and on - Hagerty staff are awesome and involved.