WWI Navy "E" Awards For Manufacturing Information Sought

hddennis

Trying to find information on Navy "E" awards given to manufacturers during WWI. Internet has a lot of references to later Army-Navy "E" awards during WWII but nothing I can find on it's first use during the First World War.  Anyone have any ideas?

Howard Dennis

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Never saw any reference to awards during WWI.  The US troop involvement in WWI was rather brief compared to the others involved in that war.

I'm chasing this lead posted on Wikipedia about history of this award:

An earlier award, the Navy "E" Award, had been created in 1906 during Theodore Roosevelt's administration. By the end of World War I, the Navy "E" Award had been joined by the Army "A" Award and the Army-Navy Munitions Board "Star".

WWII pins I have.  Two are marked as design patent 134959 and the other just says Army-Navy Production Award.  These were given to employees at RCA Lancaster PA for their war efforts work.  Much older than me but I was an employee of RCA from 1973 to 2007.  I have paperwork too for the ceremony when the pins were given out.

73647FFF-CF37-405C-AC0A-1C557F7D126B.jpeg

31AF3778-C2C9-4BA5-AF95-A82ED9E7A903.jpeg

Howard, is this question about the small pin you emailed me about earlier?  Did you get my PM and Was Francis Clax able to provide any information to you about it? 

Terry

Yes, it is Terry but I'd like to find information in print as we have different opinions. I know of this award being given to private companies and you disagree and Francis wants to be paid money for his opinion and I've never paid for information in this hobby in the 64 years I've been involved with it.

Howard Dennis

Wow, surprised he needs to be paid for helping a fellow hobbiest.  If I'd have known that was going to happen I certainly would have had second thoughts about the referral.  Thought that since he had so much information about the company concerned he would have been the best resource to verify.

Go ahead and post a photo of your pin here and see what info comes up.  Good luck with your research and let us know what you find out -hopefully without charging us to peak at the answers. 

Terry

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Dennis-- This Company the Motometer Co, Inc of Long Island City, N.Y. was not awarded an E award and pin in WW2. The E award was first awarded by Teddy Roosevelt as Sec Navy. It was a Navy award and stayed that way  until FDR had the Sec Navy Frank Knox award a Bureau of Ordnance Navy E award and pin in July 1941 to civilian firms that had performed outstandingly on their Navy Contracts.  By late Aug and early Sept 1941 the remainder of the Navy wanted a pin and the All Navy Round pin was created and awarded to non Bureau of Ordnance components. In the spring of 1942 the War Dept and the Navy Dept created the Army-Navy Production  Award and that is the one with the block E in the center and the RWB swallow tail ribbon.  Your E is a different font and a different color.  Hope this helps. Your pin is a great example of Bastion Bros work from the period. By the way what is the diameter of your pin and have you ever had it tested for its metal conent? Richard