Removing anodizing

JustDave

Check out Richard's site:

https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Polishing.html

His work restoring a 60 Corvair in Bolivia is great!

He also does oil (lubricants) as a business and writes about what oils are good for our flat tappet cars.

Also posts as Richard1 on corvaircenter.com/phorum

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 8:55 PM, JustDave said:

I’m finishing up my 1971 g.m.c.,I want to polish the mldgs but that anodizing is tough,anything you all recommend to remove the anodizing,   Dave

Contact your "local" plating shop, and see if they can strip the part.

Since nobody knows where you are via your avatar, we cannot recommend a shop within a days drive.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

The link I show is for removing the anodizing and polishing the aluminum. You think Corvairs were all chrome trim in the 60?????  Bean counters took care of that, only the  bumpers on most 60s cars are chromed steel.

I've found the best (and cheapest) anodizie remover is lye and hot water. I get it at Ace Hardware here in PA but it's not available in all states. The mix isn't critical but a cup full in several gallons of hot water in a plastic kitty litter type tub works for smaller pieces.

For larger trim I use 3" or 4" pvc pipe cut in half length wise with capped ends. Just beware of the fumes and you'll throw away the costly Eastwood stuff after you see how quick and thorough the lye works.

I did the all the trim on my 61 in my avitar for probably $10 worth of lye.