PRE-WAR BUICK GATHERING AT CHICKASHA

The Pre-War Buick Enthusiasts will meet at High Noon on Friday, March 20th, at Steve Hammat's space.  Steve will not be there this year but several of us will be manning his spaces.  We have been doing this for quite a few years now, so, if you

have an interest in all things early Buick, we want to see you there.  Looking forward to renewing friendships and meeting new friends.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Hope to see all of you there. Steve ok?

Ben

Ben,

Steve is recovering from shoulder surgery (not just rotator cuff).

Here is what I posted to the Brass Buick's Group.

Everyone,

Since, unfortunately Steve Hammatt is unable to be at Chickasaw this year, Pete Phillips, Sandy Rose, Terry Wiegand and myself have split the cost for his space this year so the Buick group has a place to meet up.  Please stop by and see if one of us is there.  If not, we are out looking for stuff like everyone else.

IF by chance no one is there when you stop by, please plan on being there on Friday March 20th at 12:00 NOON local time.  We will be taking a group photo at about 12:15.  Be there or be square.

That will be the meet up time of all the Pre-War Buick Registry members that are there for the swap meet. One of our four annual get together's.

There should be some chairs if you want to rest your feet and a table to set a few things out if you want to try to sell anything.  Please send out to your Pre-War Buick friends if they are not currently part of this group.

See you all there.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I expect to be there-

If anyone is interested, I can bring the five (5) almost new COKER 8.20R-15 Wide White Wall American Classic tires that Earl (DynaFlash) had listed.

They are really nice, and I bought them even though I didn't really need them.

but probably too much to bring if no interest

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Well, I guess I’ll go first....

I just got off the phone with my aunt (who is a medical doctor) and after a very sobering conversation came to a conclusion — and you can take it or leave it, I just think I need to say how I came it:

I am not driving 17 hours to Chickasha - a place where people will be converging from all corners of the Country. Not this year - not with a bug out there.

She told me if I simply took the precautions of: 1) Not touching people, and 2) “washing [my] hands just like you would if you had just cut a jalapeño pepper and were about to put your contacts in” that the risk to me was VERY low. Also, my own health is extremely good and even if I DID get it there still isn’t great risk — to me.

But here’s the sobering part - she then asked me if I had 14 days to isolate myself after returning (this is a virus - symptoms do not appear for X # of days).

I do not. My job requires me to be there, but more importantly, both my parents are in weakened condition recovering from surgeries. They can both get around the house and even cook, but neither can do things like clean the house, bend down to clean the cat litter box, haul the trash out, etc. I have to be over there every few days and she suggested hiring a visiting maid (who’s in and out of multiple households a day) would be the worst thing I could possibly do.

15 years ago a friend of mine visited her grandmother who was in a hospice care facility in a hospital. A day or two later she came down with the flu. 30 people in that facility died of the flu that spring. My friend later told me (and I’ll never forget this as long as I live), “I don’t know that I took that in there — but something tells me I’ll have to live with that question for the rest of my life.”

Nope. Not going guys. No way in hell.

Have never been to Hershey because it falls in the peak of my work season - but it looks like I’ll be taking time of to go this year.

Do whatever you have to do and have fun everyone!

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

Edited by Ben P.
Typo, link. (see edit history)
On 3/5/2020 at 10:02 PM, Marty Roth said:

I expect to be there-

If anyone is interested, I can bring the five (5) almost new COKER 8.20R-15 Wide White Wall American Classic tires that Earl (DynaFlash) had listed.

They are really nice, and I bought them even though I didn't really need them.

but probably too much to bring if no interest

I've reluctantly decided not to attend Chickasha this year-

I would likely be fine, but the idea of 14 days self-imposed isolation when I should be caring for my wife just doesn't work -

especially per her diminished immune system while on chemo for liver cancer.

We hope to drive to the AACA Founders Tour in Show Low, Arizona, but that way it is (mostly) just the two of us in our car, except for meals

See y'all next year

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I just spoke with Susie Ersland a few minutes ago and the swap meet has been cancelled as of Monday morning.  Please pass the word to everyone that you know who might be coming.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Thanks 1

Was just having a discussion about this and this Summer’s touring season with the Wife.  I expect we may hear of some Tours being cancelled too. 

This, my Buick Brothers may be the Summer of the Picnic Basket. Load it up and head out for a day trip to a favorite park or spot in your trusty Buick. 

59D4B830-13E4-4992-8B17-ADD092FCE508.jpeg

01BDE8AB-B040-4578-A697-CD348498D608.jpeg

• Like 7

Might have to skip the parks they are closing them as well. 

After a month of this, if it doesn't blow over, it is going to start feeling like living in another country with much less freedom.  Lets hope for the best for now. 

*rolls eyes*
Brian specifically said ‘park or spot’. In Michigan at least, there’s a heck of a lot more out there beyond City, State, or Federal parks.

Within a 10 mile radius of me there are (and I got out the old map to check) 42 State Game Area parking lots — and I hardly live in the boonies either. Out of the way - un-closable - literally roads that dead end in the woods - no one else around - greater than any ‘park’.

It’s going to be a great summer for picnicking for two or household — just like when these cars were new. It’ll be like going back in time except now we have DEET, which actually keeps the mosquitoes away. 2nd week of June though - that’ll get ugly. Deerflies hatch and nothing keeps those b______s away.

• Like 1

Well so much for that idea. I was seriously considering heading that way for the first time as well as the strong desire to find the missing parts for my 1924 Model 51a. Guess I'll just have to keep searching via the net.

Edited by 29StudiePrez (see edit history)