Riviera 1st Gen Glovebox Depth

XframeFX

FYI to all those that still need to learn what I did just now.

I removed my old cruddy glovebox without much care only to find out that the replacement doesn't fit! With the dashpad off, it's obvious the A/C Evap unit is in the way. i pulled the old one from the garbage and sure enough it;s not as deep!

Re-installing the old one because I don't a replacement after all. Need an A/C Glovebox.

John B.

Ran into the same problem. Ordered one from CARS for models WITH A/C, like mine has. STILL won't fit; it's too deep. Ones for models WITHOUT A/C would be deeper still, I assume. Only thing I can figure is someone cut mine shorter in the past and restapled it for the A/C ductwork to fit when the factory air was removed and Vintage Air installed. The guy at CARS was pretty helpful; he looked at several in stock, and they all had the same dimensions, so that ruled out it being bagged wrong. I finally said the heck with it, returned it, and put my old one back in. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XframeFX said:

FYI to all those that still need to learn what I did just now.

I removed my old cruddy glovebox without much care only to find out that the replacement doesn't fit! With the dashpad off, it's obvious the A/C Evap unit is in the way. i pulled the old one from the garbage and sure enough it;s not as deep!

Re-installing the old one because I don't a replacement after all. Need an A/C Glovebox.

John B.

Contact Repops to see if they can make a replacement gb using yours as a template. I did that for my 69 Caprice a few years ago because the gb they are producing for 69 Caprice wo air simply didn't fit the car. 

http://www.repops.com/product-search.cfm?ca=0&ma=2&mo=52&yr=36

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jframe said:

Ran into the same problem. Ordered one from CARS for models WITH A/C, like mine has. STILL won't fit; it's too deep. Ones for models WITHOUT A/C would be deeper still, I assume. Only thing I can figure is someone cut mine shorter in the past and restapled it for the A/C ductwork to fit when the factory air was removed and Vintage Air installed. The guy at CARS was pretty helpful; he looked at several in stock, and they all had the same dimensions, so that ruled out it being bagged wrong. I finally said the heck with it, returned it, and put my old one back in. 

Now you mention that your car has been retrofitted with a Vintage Air system.  Explains everything.  Vintage Air does not make a retrofit system for the Riviera so a universal kit has to be installed,  Uni ersal kits need modifications to fit.  The installer had to modify your glove box liner. You'll need to do the same.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1