65 Center Armrest re-build help

Devjas

Purchased a armrest for my 65 from Tom Mooney and have stripped it down to metal and restored it to primer.. I am in the process of sending out to the upholstery shop.

My concern is that when I tore up the original armrest there was Aprox 3/4 “ old dried out sponge padding on top and half way down each side. I am worried that how would he know exactly how much padding to place back before putting new cover back because when the armrest is in the down position it must be exactly level to the seats top and side to look perfect...

Any advice or tips I can pass on  to make sure this will be done correctly....

65A52093-7E22-465C-8F71-EF9385023601.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Devjas said:

Purchased a armrest for my 65 from Tom Mooney and have stripped it down to metal and restored it to primer.. I am in the process of sending out to the upholstery shop.

My concern is that when I tore up the original armrest there was Aprox 3/4 “ old dried out sponge padding on top and half way down each side. I am worried that how would he know exactly how much padding to place back before putting new cover back because when the armrest is in the down position it must be exactly level to the seats top and side to look perfect...

Any advice or tips I can pass on  to make sure this will be done correctly....

65A52093-7E22-465C-8F71-EF9385023601.jpeg

Just an FYI. You can buy the center armrest upholstery from Clark's Corvair. It is presewn and ready to be put on and fits very well. It is very reasonably priced and I am thinking much cheaper than sending to an upholstery shop. If you do it yourself you will be able to tell how much padding to put in by lining up the seams correctly on the edges. You would also be able to just walk out to the garage and prefit it into your seat before stapling the upholstery more permanently. You can make adjustments to get the right fit if you need to. I refurbished a center armrest using the Clark's upholstery and it was easy to do. 

Bill

Hi Claudio,

I was wondering if you received the armrest as I didnt hear back from you(?). If you are using an upholstery shop they should be able to gauge the correct dimension from the original armrest for a new pad. Should be a piece of cake as they do the same thing with seat buns which are much more complicated.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes I received it and have spend many hours grinding and sanding every inch to make it perfect.

I’m worried that if the upholster doesn’t put the right thickness of padding top and sides that it won’t be flush with the seats in the down position.

Sorry, but I am a self proclaimed ”nit picker” “perfectionist” “ and a “OCD “ type of guy when it comes to my cars.  Ha...

Thanks for your response Tom

Cheers

Hi Claudio,

Well, you have a complete original cover and the original pad,  so an upholsterer should have all the info he/she needs to acheive as close to perfection as the originals are. As I`m sure I mentioned, and as Bill has mentioned, Clark`s offers presewn covers so filling out the pre-sewn cover with a pad should be straight forward, especially for a pro.

Good to hear you were able to determine how to lift up the armrest from a "closed" position as they can be tricky on the bench. I`m confident it will work out well for you,

Tom

16 hours ago, Devjas said:

😀Thanks for info Bill. I did not know that. I will look into it asap. I would rather do it myself anyways....

I love this forum. Someone always has the answer...

If you do it yourself go to a fabric store. They will have many different kinds of padding/filler that is superior to the old. You can buy as little or as much as you want which is nice.

Bill