Saw this 1959 Ford Custom 300? across the road

keiser31

My folks handed down to me Mom's 1959 Ford Custom 300 two door sedan - this was my first car after getting my driver's license.  Here is a photo from about 1964 after it rolled into something after she parked it at her workplace.

I see so many of these like the one in Keiser's pic - they have ornaments atop the front fenders and little wings on the rear quarters.  Mom's car had neither of these.  It was a total stripper with the 223 I-6 and 3 speed manual tranny.  No radio, no armrests, and one sun visor for the driver only.  That car may have had the worst vacuum wipers I ever saw.   

Ca. 1965 - Betty's wrecked 59 Ford 01.jpg

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Dosmo said:

My folks handed down to me Mom's 1959 Ford Custom 300 two door sedan - this was my first car after getting my driver's license.  It was a total stripper with the 223 I-6 and 3 speed manual tranny.  No radio, no armrests, and one sun visor for the driver only.  That car may have had the worst vacuum wipers I ever saw.   

It DOES have tu-tone paint and wide-whites.

Craig

1 hour ago, Dosmo said:

My folks handed down to me Mom's 1959 Ford Custom 300 two door sedan - this was my first car after getting my driver's license.  Here is a photo from about 1964 after it rolled into something after she parked it at her workplace.

I see so many of these like the one in Keiser's pic - they have ornaments atop the front fenders and little wings on the rear quarters.  Mom's car had neither of these.  It was a total stripper with the 223 I-6 and 3 speed manual tranny.  No radio, no armrests, and one sun visor for the driver only.  That car may have had the worst vacuum wipers I ever saw.   

DOSMO,

Looks like you mother was pretty cool back in the day.  Looks like Cruiser Skirts & Wide Whites on her plain Jane.

24 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

DOSMO,

Looks like you mother was pretty cool back in the day.  Looks like Cruiser Skirts & Wide Whites on her plain Jane.

Indeed, Mom was pretty "with it" for the times she lived in.  Very particular about how she dressed, how she presented herself.  Here she is with an earlier Ford.  Sometime after this photo, she added a continental kit to the convertible.  It may have been one of the "Coronado" type kits.

Betty posed on the trunk of 48 Ford Convertible.jpg