Changing the windshield on a 65

Seafoam65

The factory service manual says when changing the windshield out on a 65 riviera to remove

the interior moldings surrounding the windshield  edges, i.e. the A-pillaar interior moldings and the molding

along the front edge of the headliner. Is this really necessary? I've never had to do that on any windshield I have ever

changed out on A-body and F body GM cars.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I had a new windshield installed in my '65 a few years ago. I did remove the interior moldings you described as well as the dashboard cover just to be certain it would not get damaged. I also removed the metal cover the cowl area. If your car still has the original windshield, it will likely also have the original factory-installed rubber gasket. There is no replacement gasket available for this and the worst part of the windshield replacement process for me was removing all traces of the original gasket and thoroughly cleaning out the channel where the gasket seated.  Removing all the trim makes it easier to accomplish this. I had a professional installer put in the new windshield using a urethane sealer to bond it in place. I reinstalled all the trim myself and the windshield is leak free and looks great. Take your time and do it right, the prep work is really important in order to get good results.

• Like 1

I'd think the only concern would be if you can get the old seal cut without damaging the trim or it inhibiting the process. Using piano wire method I'd think you could cut it. Never did a 65 but guessing it can probably be done W/O removing trim but it might be one of those things where after you did it you might say "I should have just removed the trim"

It shouldn't take that long to remove.... right?

• Like 1

I took all my trim off and the dash pad just to be safe The adhesive comes on a roll and is paper backed. I have seen the guys with the big tube of glue, that's not the way I'd care to do it.

We marked the centerline of the windshield and the opening. Then put a cloth across the hood and laid the windshield on it, inside facing up. The tape was applied at an even distance all around the perimeter. The with one on each side, almost 110 years years of experience combined, we brought the glass down slowly to the centerline and the bottom spacer blocks. Then gently pressed the glass to the seal. I have a small squeeze bottle to finely test each inch for leaks. I it looked like a leak I tore off a small piece of the roll sealant and pressed it into place, then tested again.

The old windshield installation used to ooze sealer at the inside top edge on a hot day. It went pretty smooth.

Those A pillar inside trim pieces are kind of hard to remove. Be careful to get the right screws in the mirror bracket. I knew a guy who power screw drivered his domelight screw through the roof of a fresh paint job. It was a long one.

006.thumb.JPG.373e11aed44f1f1b92c8aece696936e6.JPG

001.thumb.jpg.17bf03c7964855b5d119663860ba2908.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Be careful to get the right screws in the mirror bracket. I knew a guy who power screw drivered his domelight screw through the roof of a fresh paint job. It was a long one.

Aaack!

Hi Winston,

I replaced the windshield on my '65 last year.  The installer did it without removing any interior trim.  The dash pad was also left in place.  

He did get some black urethane on the inside A frame moldings.  This cleaned up quickly with some solvent, so no problems there.  My car has the deluxe interior so the moldings are chromed.  It might be a bit harder to get the urethane off if the moldings are painted without damaging the paint.

I bought my replacement windshield from Summit Racing.  It was a screaming deal at $133, including shipped to my installers door here in Canada!  The windshield has the LOF logo as original, tinted and shaded.  Of course, a purist would be able to tell it is not the original, but it looks plenty good to me - no more windshield wiper scrapes and fine pitting.