TexRiv_63

Excessive Driving Interval

It’s people on their phones.  They can’t wait to jump on them.  It’s plain ridiculous.  I see it all the time.

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

This may be a bit off topic but if you drive your old cars you may have noticed this. We all complained for years about people following too close, tailgating, cutting too close in front, etc. Well lately (within the past year or so) I have noticed the opposite - drivers leaving way too much of an interval at stoplights and intersections. I'm talking about stopping one to three car lengths behind the white line or the car in front of them. At first it was a curiosity - maybe they were looking at their cellphone, sleepy, who knows. But then I started to see this a lot and it happened regularly in the accumulation lanes for turns, backing up regular traffic lanes. Sometimes if it was the car in front of a turn lane they would be so far back they would not activate the in-pavement signal sensors and no turn arrow would show up. This is when it became a pet peeve that I don't remember being an issue before. Has something changed in driver's ed? Has anyone else noticed this as a recent phenomenon? 

You are correct, Tex...it is really off topic.  

13 hours ago, padgett said:

One thing we have in Orlando is thousands of tourists in rent cars from all over the world including from ....... Oz whose every expert reaction is rong.

Hey, I resemble that remark. 😉 Have been to Florida twice, hope I didn't seriously inconvenience you.😁

I made a chart based on the replies and highlighted who I want to keep a distance from.

• Haha 1

If you'd be kind enough to tape this chart to the trunk of your car, I'll be able to read it without my glasses.  😄

14 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

It’s people on their phones.  They can’t wait to jump on them.  It’s plain ridiculous.  I see it all the time.

You think so? Where I live we have sensors for the turn lanes, but only green arrows so after the turn sequence you revert back to the old standard procedure. That means after the green arrow goes out the green to go signal comes on and it still allows you to make a left turn from the turn lane once on coming traffic is clear. Problem is some people just sit at the limit line when the green arrow goes out so you've got to get on the horn and gesture through the windshield for them to move into the intersection to make the turn.

Also you get the people at a standard intersection with no specific left turn lane who, when they get a green light just stay at the limit line and don't move into the intersection and so you have to prod them forward so two cars behind them can also make the light!

• Like 2

OTOH it is probably forward collision warnings starting to bleat and a big flashing indicator on the dash.

4 hours ago, Pfeil said:

You think so? Where I live we have sensors for the turn lanes, but only green arrows so after the turn sequence you revert back to the old standard procedure. That means after the green arrow goes out the green to go signal comes on and it still allows you to make a left turn from the turn lane once on coming traffic is clear. Problem is some people just sit at the limit line when the green arrow goes out so you've got to get on the horn and gesture through the windshield for them to move into the intersection to make the turn.

Also you get the people at a standard intersection with no specific left turn lane who, when they get a green light just stay at the limit line and don't move into the intersection and so you have to prod them forward so two cars behind them can also make the light!

The people who can’t negotiate left turns are another group altogether.  What I see are people stopping way short because they can’t wait to get on their phone.  

I just took my wife out for lunch. I got behind a Cadillac and then a Buick. Each had an emblem boldly proclaiming a 2.0 Liter engine. My stomach felt odd and my eyes seemed hazy. I took my foot off the gas and dropped back a little more than a car length. That felt better.

Bernie

• Haha 1

Is there something wrong with 2.0 liter cars ?  They strike me as being an ideal size.

Greg in Canada

unnamedv3.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Is there something wrong with 2.0 liter cars ?  They strike me as being an ideal size.

Greg in Canada

unnamedv3.jpg

I sure love mine. Will do 140MPH+ and gets 42mpg at 72mph @ 2100 RPM