1938 Cadillac Cadillac Sixty Special

Too bad about the dents.  I wonder if it's the result of a shelter falling on it?  Interior in one of these is what kills it. Over 10 G for an interior.  Now you have nearly 20 G in it. You can buy a nicer turn key one for that.  The 38 Tom was selling was probably a better buy.  Just shows pricing is becoming more realistic as to what the cars need and finding guys willing to spend to give it to them.   Hopefully the rat rod craze is die-ing off so cars like this don't get cut up. 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Too bad about the dents.  I wonder if it's the result of a shelter falling on it?  Interior in one of these is what kills it. Over 10 G for an interior.  Now you have nearly 20 G in it. You can buy a nicer turn key one for that.  The 38 Tom was selling was probably a better buy.  Just shows pricing is becoming more realistic as to what the cars need and finding guys willing to spend to give it to them.   Hopefully the rat rod craze is die-ing off so cars like this don't get cut up. 

Not only is it an interior that is at issue (and you could have bought a kit via Lebaron Bonney until recently), but it is a lot of time in money in chrome plating, glass work, and especially rubber - the interior in this particular car seems to have gone bad via water leakage (and it does not take much water either once the seals let go). 

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Not only is it an interior that is at issue (and you could have bought a kit via Lebaron Bonney until recently), but it is a lot of time in money in chrome plating, glass work, and especially rubber - the interior in this particular car seems to have gone bad via water leakage (and it does not take much water either once the seals let go). 

It is somewhat interesting that when a car like this shows up here, there are quite a few people who think restoration right away. For the price & if it was close to me, I'd buy it & drive it as is, and I would probably get far more looks & comments about it at a local show than an over restored garage queen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I say just put some seat covers on it and drive it.  It says chrome recently all done.  It wouldn’t make sense to me economically to pay a professional repair/paint it and do a complete interior.  It might to someone else.  We all have different ways of looking at things and justifying how we spend money enjoying the hobby.

• Like 1

I agree with George. Full restoration is not the objective here.

I think it's a bargain at this price. A classic that runs and drives, with the chrome already redone for under $10K? Wow!

I would have my upholstery guy recover the rear seat and drive it. I love the color. Maybe down the road I'd talk to my painter and see if he could do a few blow ins on the dent/scrapes rather than a whole repaint. Then I would drive it as intended and be the happiest guy in town! 😄

21 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

It is somewhat interesting that when a car like this shows up here, there are quite a few people who think restoration right away. For the price & if it was close to me, I'd buy it & drive it as is, and I would probably get far more looks & comments about it at a local show than an over restored garage queen.

Not restoration, but to some degree certain things are a  necessity = you can dream all day long but when you have a car out in the rain and it floods inside that is pretty much not enjoyable for you or your guests (nor is sitting in a moth hotel, or some of the cars posted here that are mice and rat hotels - people end up in the hospital from getting in that stuff and months of recover).  As to this car, if they gave it to you then you still would be several 100% backward in cost to make it a dependable tour car.  

Sidenote:  This 38 exactly the car you probably would want to have - nice project (but it is a Cadillac and does not take care of itself mechanically, plus ...

By the way, is my former 1941 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood - an AACA HPOF car and extensively shown and toured in AACA and CCCA; and I had it for almost 30 years and 80K miles.

IMG_1081a.thumb.jpg.d662cd6422d85079278aaeeadf275fa8.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)