1982 Riviera Select Sixty Dealer convertible

Barney Eaton

This car was at the 2010 BCA meet in Ames IA.

The Buick General Manager had an awards program call the Select Sixty Dealers.   Each year there was a awards meeting

for them and they received recognition and it seems in some years they were given the chance to buy a Buick model that was

on allotment or a special model that would add to their sales.

I have been unable to determine (1) what year it started and when it ended (2) what Buick vehicles were involved.  (3) how many were made.

We actually do know a little about #2 above.... 1987 the GNX was the car added to their allottment and we believe the number was 47.

1988 there was a Reatta involved and 55 were made.   1990 there was a special Reatta convertible with white seats and 65 were made.

What does the Riviera club know about this 1982 Riviera convertible?

NOTE the blue poster picture was with a 1990 Reatta but it shows the logo used for the Select Sixty Program.

SS60 RIV.jpg

select 60 riviera.JPG

DSCN0507.JPG

DSCN0509.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

This car was at the 2010 BCA meet in Ames IA.

The Buick General Manager had an awards program call the Select Sixty Dealers.   Each year there was a awards meeting

for them and they received recognition and it seems in some years they were given the chance to buy a Buick model that was

on allotment or a special model that would add to their sales.

I have been unable to determine (1) what year it started and when it ended (2) what Buick vehicles were involved.  (3) how many were made.

We actually do know a little about #2 above.... 1987 the GNX was the car added to their allottment and we believe the number was 47.

1988 there was a Reatta involved and 55 were made.   1990 there was a special Reatta convertible with white seats and 65 were made.

What does the Riviera club know about this 1982 Riviera convertible?

NOTE the blue poster picture was with a 1990 Reatta but it shows the logo used for the Select Sixty Program.

SS60 RIV.jpg

select 60 riviera.JPG

DSCN0507.JPG

DSCN0509.JPG

Hey Barney, I never knew that a Riviera was used for the "Select 60" program so I learned something today.  I am familiar with the Reatta's though.  As far as other models used, it seems to make sense that Buick would use a premium model (Reatta, Riviera, etc.) for the award vs. an entry level model.  It would be good to know what models Buick used and the years offered.  Thanks for posting this.

• Like 2

I have searched my files and cannot find a picture of the entire car.   I talked to the owner and at the time he was bidding on another

one that was for sale on Ebay.

The differences I remember were the grill....the slats were painted white instead of the standard grey.

the outside mirrors were chrome and a standard Riviera are painted.  It had the Select Sixty cast logo on each front fender under the Riviera name.

Received my March BCA Bugle today and there is a feature on Reattas and I was ask to write

something about the Select Sixty program/cars.......if you are a BCA member that should be in your mailbox soon and

I ask anyone with knowledge about the program to respond and I there is more information I will share it.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1