Why everyone should own a Fire Engine

Brass is Best

A Muster is one of the most wonderful things to see.  Engines and other apparatus pumping not to mention the cameraderie.  The very best of horse drawn, steam and internal combustion events ever.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, DAVES89 said:

A friend of mine [just retired] took me on a tour of the Pierce Manufacturing plant. I have to say it was the most interesting plant tour I have ever been on. 

The Sutphen plants near Columbus OH are also very cool.  We were visiting Mr. Sutphen's vintage car (and boat) collection with our club but were distracted by a new apparatus being pump tested in their pond.  A few of us wandered over to the manufacturing building and Mr. Sutphen saw our interest.  He gave us his business card and sent us over to the other facility the following day for a '3 hour tour' by the Plant Manager.  Unfortunately Mr. Sutphen has now passed.  Haven't heard if his collection survived. 

• Like 2

I will happily contribute to this thread. I am a member of my local vintage car club. The club owns this Ford LaFrance fire engine. Or is it a truck? 

This is an original vehicle from my city’s fire department. Flathead V8. I think 1932? Sound about right?

Wife wife is seen here helping get it ready for a parade. We help the car club dress it up and take it out. The kids do indeed love it. 

4A0E7540-8F1B-45D3-AC2A-B3A648B8FBC3.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I will happily contribute to this thread. I am a member of my local vintage car club. The club owns this Ford LaFrance fire engine. Or is it a truck? 

This is an original vehicle from my city’s fire department. Flathead V8. I think 1932? Sound about right?

Wife wife is seen here helping get it ready for a parade. We help the car club dress it up and take it out. The kids do indeed love it. 

4A0E7540-8F1B-45D3-AC2A-B3A648B8FBC3.jpeg

Pretty sure it's a 1937.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was out mowing the yard today. One of my neighbors was out for a walk with her son. I stopped and asked him if he would like to look at my fire truck. He looked to his mom for approval and said yes. I walked through the yard and they walked down the road and he still beet me there. I opened up the door and sat him in the drivers seat and was all smiles. That’s one of the reasons I own a fire truck. I made his day and he made mine

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 6:47 PM, Big Beat said:

I only have one question.... if you show up at a car show in a big ass fire truck, do you still need to have a little fire extinguisher on display with it?

Yes, you do need to have a fire extinguisher that works if safety checked by our SPAAMFAA Chapter. 

• Like 1

This picture took me forever to find...

In May 1969 my father bought this 1930’s Seagrave that was just then retired from the South Newfane Vermont Fire department. That is me again on the running board. Dad only had it for a few months, we were in a 4th of July parade and not long after someone hunted him down to buy it. 

I remember the truck and parade well considering I was 3 at the time, I think the helmet is with one of my brothers...

D2C585B0-4A66-488B-808F-C365812492C4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark, looks like a Seagrave 66E, and it’s probably just post war,.........46-51. I have owned more than half a dozen of them. Great small town pumper. Great photo. Ed

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, CarFreak said:

Frankenmuth circa 2004 SPAAMFAA National Muster sponsored by Great Lakes International Fire Apparatus Association

Frankenmuth Muster 2004.jpg

Firetruck Frankenmuth 2.jpg

I was there......great meet. One can’t say enough good things about one of their big shows........

• 3 weeks later...