Brass is Best

Why everyone should own a Fire Engine

A while back I bought a 1953 GMC Fire Engine. Why you ask? Why not I say. So one of the first nice days after buying the truck. I call my friend who has 2 young boys 5 and 3 at the time. I ask if he and the boys are home and they are. I tell my friend not to tell the boys, but that I am coming over with a fire engine. He agrees to take the boys out in the yard to wait. I come down their street lights and sirens and pull into the driveway. The oldest boy is so excited he can't speak. He is just jumping up and down and screaming. His little brother is the same way. After a few moments the older boy looks at me and says. "Why did I not know you had a fire truck?" I told him I just bought it. He thought for a second and said "Well I should have known sooner." The 2 boys climbed all over the truck for about the next hour and tried every button and switch. Then they went for a ride around the block, only after getting their plastic fire helmets from in the house. A few days later the Older boy went to school and for show and tell took a toy fire engine. He proceeded to tell his class all about the fire engine his friend had brought over for him to play with. When his Mother picked him up from school the teacher told her about his great imagination. How he made up a story about his friend having a real fire truck. His Mother laughed and told the teacher his friend dose have a fire truck. His friend is 40 years old and then she pulled out her phone and showed the teacher pictures. This is why everyone should own a fire engine.

53gmc66.jpg

Edited by Brass is Best
Called an engine a truck. (see edit history)
  • Like 18

I'm still that 5-year-old boy. I still want a fire truck and I really like that GMC. Good on you for sharing it properly with the people who will appreciate it most. Static art sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great story. What amazes me about old fire trucks is that they seem to be well maintained and cheap. Is there a vintage vehicle that has a better cost-per-pound ratio?

This one is a lot newer, but that's a lot of shinny paint and chrome for $7,900

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/indianapolis-fire-truck-1994-pierce/7064548661.html

Edited by Car-Nicopia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

BiB,

I enjoyed your story very much.  Thanks. 

How old are the boys now, and are they still interested in the fire truck?

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Brass, did your truck come with all of the hoses and accessories that are on it?

Most times all of that stuff is stripped off before they are sold and the trucks don't look complete without them.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to live in a fire house. The garage would be big enough.

• Like 2

This on is not as big as yours, but I have just as much fun with it. Perhaps more fun than driving any of my old cars...

Frank

IMG_4296a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Brass, you struck a nerve with me. Your vehicle is not a fire truck, it's a fire engine. I served for 25 years in an engine company. A fire truck is manned by a ladder company. Engine men work the hoses and "truckies" from a ladder company, or truck company, ventilate and do search and rescue. Nice fire engine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

BiB,

I enjoyed your story very much.  Thanks. 

How old are the boys now, and are they still interested in the fire truck?

Cheers,

Grog

The boys are 6 and 4 now. They ask me about the Fire Engine or Truck as they call it about every time I see them.

2 hours ago, zepher said:

Brass, did your truck come with all of the hoses and accessories that are on it?

Most times all of that stuff is stripped off before they are sold and the trucks don't look complete without them.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.

This Engine was in service with a small town here in Ohio. from what I was told it was in service a long time. So when it was sold the equipment was outdated so it was left on the truck. Making it a time capsule. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldford said:

This on is not as big as yours, but I have just as much fun with it. Perhaps more fun than driving any of my old cars...

Frank

IMG_4296a.jpg

frank that is a great looking AA!

A friend told me about this truck and that I just had to buy it.

I resisted for about a week and then went to look at it.

I said,  "Why not?" 

Look how close it came to the crusher.

I finally found a use for it, a car carrier and tow truck.

DSCN0817.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Brass, you struck a nerve with me. Your vehicle is not a fire truck, it's a fire engine. I served for 25 years in an engine company. A fire truck is manned by a ladder company. Engine men work the hoses and "truckies" from a ladder company, or truck company, ventilate and do search and rescue. Nice fire engine!

Sorry, and I know better. I guess I called the Engine a Truck in the story because the boys do. Thanks for your service. 

15 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

Look how close it came to the crusher.

Who is taking that literally?

I'm raising my hand.

I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago in Pennsylvania. My nephew and his son went with my wife and me to drive it back home. It’s about 550 miles one way. He road in the back all the way and didn’t complain one bit. He really enjoyed it. The only problem was an antifreeze leak that we had to fix. It was a town truck and only ran 58 mpg and got about 5 mile per gallon. 

A2111FED-53CC-4037-91F8-6B8B30A9EF18.jpeg

• Like 4

Mike  is that  Sutphen fire truck?  They were the first to have the extending bridge construction for the tower. My father in law sold them when he retired from the fire department. He outsold the factory production line and they made him stop selling for two years. 
Dave S 

Glad you made their day and put a smile on those young fellows. A friend of mine just lost his house to a fire. Kicker is he had a fire truck sitting close by but had not maintained it. Photo of it in the foreground. Look here.  https://www.hudsonvalley360.com/news/greenecounty/fire-destroys-freehold-home-property/article_65661e50-6978-52a7-8d7c-28e436fe6f29.html

• Like 1

I bought a 1931 Chevy fire engine from the village of Wardsville Ontario by sealed tender in 1977. It had 4531 miles on it and had been purchased new. It was almost completely equipped and came with some great stories. For instance,it was once called to a major fire in a neighboring town. The hard suction hoses were  not compatible with the fire hydrant,so a washtub was borrowed from a house nearby.The tub received the hydrant's water, which the hard suction hose pumped out of for eight hours straight.We did a frame off restoration,after which it received about 24 trophies,including winning it's class at the SPAAMFAA muster at Greenfield Village in Dearborn twice. It now resides at a museum in Rotterdam ,Holland.

72_firetruck.jpg

1931 Chevy fire engine pumping from washtub 1964.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 5

While I do not own a fire truck (or engine), I did recently find myself on the board of a firehouse museum which afforded my daughter a ride in the Christmas parade in a 1936 Ahrens Fox that ran out of the firehouse long before it was a museum. 

F52F0A88-7F2C-4D34-B8E7-445D3282E48C.jpeg

1D846FAF-E7DC-4877-A1C8-1475EDE23AF5.jpeg

• Like 2

To me, that’s what it is all about. Weather it’s a car, truck, tractor, or motorcycle, they can all bring smile and good memories to all. They can cause us headaches and fight us, but in the end, it’s all worth it

15 hours ago, oldford said:

Frank

IMG_4296a.jpg

Have you been to Rhinebeck with this? Looks familiar.

Not to Rhinebeck yet, but I had it at the Kingston Firetruck show twice, maybe you saw it there...

Frank

• Like 2

They have the Frankenmuth Fire Muster in Frankenmuth, MI. I stumbled upon this show by accident one year while I was in town and it is a hoot! They some of the trucks by the river pulling water and pumping it, others are on display around the field. I'd never seen so many in one place. Probably the most fun antique vehicle show I've been too... there's that kid in all of us! 

• Like 1