Brush car parts

If you have a few South Bend  lathes, and a Bridgeport mill with lots of tooling and attachments. The ability to weld, braze, and solder and fabricate what you don't have. A well equipped wood working shop to boot then go for it. Otherwise you'll need deep enough pockets to send it to someone like me who can do all that stuff. Stuff for off brand brass era cars is just not laying around everywhere. If memory serves me correctly the front axle on a one cylinder Brush is made of wood. The engine runs left handed or counter clockwise. Dandy Dave!    

• Like 4

Hi Rod,

As a long time Model T & A guy I too was looking for something other than a Ford just for a different twist. Went down Packard street and had a good run with a ‘48 woodie. Us Ford guys are VERY spoiled. Packard parts were a lot more expensive, tougher to find certain parts and poor resale of my car  were issues I dealt with. Parts availability plus a wonderful and active MTFCA forum have brought me back into the Ford fold.

There are many really knowledgeable and helpful people on the AACA forums and you will find lot of guidance here no matter which marque you choose. Just my thoughts in the event you do find something interesting to try.

Brush: 1st car with full floating (wooden) axles.!!!!! Brush: wooden axles wooden body would'en run. Don't waste your time and effort underpowered horribly designed single cylinder motor, even worse transmission. My brother had one and after much trouble getting it to run and a major transmission repair, it now sits up on a 4 post hoist gathering lots of dust. Don't think it ever made a complete tour. When it did run is was slower than molasses in January.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

OK guys you have me convinced and i have withdrawn my offer. Instead I am looking at a 1928 Buick 24 Roadster, hopefully it wont have as big a parts issue.

BTW, I also have a 1913 Model T Speedster, a 1938 MG-TA, A 1952 Jaguar XK120FHC and a 1957 Thunderbird. Just adding to the group before I'm too decrepit to even get in them.

you can find them here: http://www.customfurniture.net/

Thanks for the input

Rod

Sounds like you have made your decision. But let me add, that the most major parts of a Brush that are nearly impossible to get are the transmission. Nearly everything else is either relatively available, or easily made. But the entire transmission is unique, weak, and usually shot. There are a fair number of Brush cars in decent shape sitting forever because the transmission is worn out or missing. There are enough piles of parts around that a dozen cars could be put together, if only a transmission could be had.

• Thanks 1

Dave, I honestly don't really know. I came close to buying a couple of Brush automobiles over the years. Really would like to have one. In that pursuit, I began to get involved with the Brush crowd, got their newsletters, phoned and talked with several owners. It didn't take much to realize that about half the people I talked with were trying to find rebuildable transmissions for their cars. I also found out about a few people that had large piles of parts for Brush, and they all said they had no transmissions to spare. A couple of project cars I considered were missing the transmission, so there wasn't one for me to see it. A couple cars I wanted to buy, had good working transmissions in them, but I frankly didn't look that closely at them under the car. When I say "transmission" in relation to the Brush, from a picture I saw many years ago, the "transmission" includes the gear case and gears as well as the jackshaft and drive gears for chain drive. The entire unit looks pretty lightweight for even such a small car as the Brush.