Basic engine supplies for 73 Riviera

Lildevil

Congrats Lil!  I will forever rue the day I sold my '73. Although I love my '65, it has nowhere near the drivability of the '73. Its been years, so I don't quite remember the battery placement, but if it's anything like the '65, correct battery size is very important because of hood clearance problems. I use Amsoil Zrod motor oil in my old cars. It is formulated for hot rods & classic car engines. & if you're ever in need of one I have a very nice driver quality rear bumper for your '73 that is gathering dust in my shed.       Good Luck,    Drew

28 minutes ago, J3Studio said:

Most, if not all, of those links seem to be dead.

Yep, unfortunately the Boattail Registry shut down a few years ago due to lack of participation.

There was a TON of info on the site, but the sponsor couldn't get members and participants to contribute enough, money or even content, to keep it going.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 7:37 PM, Lildevil said:

..... what battery size and basic engine fluids and oil do you guys recommend. Thank you 

For oil, just make sure that whichever brand you buy has a minimum of 1,000 parts per million (ppm) of zinc and phosphate.  If the oil is designed for flat tappet engines, like yours, then you'll be in good shape.  Look for a data safety sheet for any oil you're considering.  Personally, I use Mobil 1pure synthetic High Mileage 10W-40.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Seems like perfect content to be migrated to rivowners.com.

I believe that was tried several years ago. However, the “owner” of the information wanted either too much money, or they did not want it posted on the ROA site, even for member access only.

21 hours ago, RivNut said:

For oil, just make sure that whichever brand you buy has a minimum of 1,000 parts per million (ppm) of zinc and phosphate.  If the oil is designed for flat tappet engines, like yours, then you'll be in good shape.  Look for a data safety sheet for any oil you're considering.  Personally, I use Mobil 1pure synthetic High Mileage 10W-40.

I’m not sure it really matters to the OP since he signed up on Feb 23, checked back in on Feb 24, and hasn’t been back since? But anyway, I’ll add the below about high-mileage oil.

I know oil discussions have been beat to death over the years, but I learned something about high-mileage oil recently that I had not known before.

Of course, it is up to personal preference, but I don’t think I will be using any high-mileage oil. What I learned is that high-mileage oil does not meet ratings of regular oil, and are NOT recommended for most engines. From what I am reading, it is not even recommended for engines with high miles?

High Mileage Oils

Definition

For use in vehicles that have over 75,000 miles

Most high mileage oils do not meet ILSAC GF-4 rating and are not recommended for most engines

Differences

Esters are added to swell main and valve-stem oil seals

Only used in engines with more than 75,000 miles

--  Does not have energy rating of conventional oils

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I’m not sure it really matters to the OP since he signed up on Feb 23, checked back in on Feb 24, and hasn’t been back since? But anyway, I’ll add the below about high-mileage oil.

I know oil discussions have been beat to death over the years, but I learned something about high-mileage oil recently that I had not known before.

Of course, it is up to personal preference, but I don’t think I will be using any high-mileage oil. What I learned is that high-mileage oil does not meet ratings of regular oil, and are NOT recommended for most engines. From what I am reading, it is not even recommended for engines with high miles?

High Mileage Oils

Definition

For use in vehicles that have over 75,000 miles

Most high mileage oils do not meet ILSAC GF-4 rating and are not recommended for most engines

Differences

Esters are added to swell main and valve-stem oil seals

Only used in engines with more than 75,000 miles

--  Does not have energy rating of conventional oils

Very interesting.  I may have to do some reconsideration.  Randall, you have cars from a lot of different generations, some with high mileage. What oil do you use in most of your cars?