buick man

FS- Love to Love or Hate to Love - 1957 Buick !!

Beautiful car, but I'd take that monstrosity off the back before I left the house with it.  That's an easy fix though!

• Like 4

My mom and dad hated the continental kit, I learned from them, nice car but..............

• Like 1

Non-original fender skirts and continental kits are removed immediately as soon as cars come into my shop. You want them, they're in the trunk. May God have mercy on your soul.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Non-original fender skirts and continental kits are removed immediately as soon as cars come into my shop. You want them, they're in the trunk. May God have mercy on your soul.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the continental kit, but those fender skirts are hideous! The sweepspear accentuates the lines of the wheel opening, and the skirts ruin the whole flow.  They look great on other body styles, but they just don't work here.

• Like 3

That current high bidder, Gary Pike, I've talked to him about something in the past year or so but can't remember what but I'm sure he's a 57 guy if I was talking to him.

... ah come on folks ... there is a lot of love area in that there back hanger .... Just think about it, pull up to a club event or a C&C, set up a table cloth off the back and lay out some cold cuts and buns, beer or it's your party what would you bring to the party other than a wrench !  Other than that IMO there is a lot to love with the rest of the car as well.

Like the colors, clean car, but that continental kit...if you have a steep driveway, prepare to leave some bumper on the street every time you pull in.

Besides being butt-ugly, IMHO.

OK, so everyone seems to agree that the fender skirts and continental kit have to go, but what about the rest of the car???

I think we  an agree the rest of the car is great.  What's the bet on value?  As nice as it looks, being a 4 door Special I don't think it would bring more than $13-14k, and much less on BAT probably.

5 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the continental kit, but those fender skirts are hideous! The sweepspear accentuates the lines of the wheel opening, and the skirts ruin the whole flow.  They look great on other body styles, but they just don't work here.

I agree.  The original stylists of the 1957 Buick

Special and Century did an excellent job, and those

add-ons make a beautiful car appear clumsy.

Four-door hardtops are much scarcer in most car lines

than people realize.  They were produced in ample

numbers, but today people restore the more glamorous

body styles, so 4-door hardtops languish.  Remember

when station wagons were seen as routine and unimpressive?

Why oh why does everyone speak of the Dynaflow as a two speed.  Are they thinking that Buick used a Powerglide in all their cars?

• Like 3

Being a 57 Special 4dr sdn owner a few observations

in a 57 i don't get the fender skirts as has been mentioned above the lines and exposed wheels look great on a 57

continental kit is personal taste had a friend put one on a 57 Roadmaster 75 years ago you could have a cup of coffee by the time it drove by

the owner was in love with the 50's theme dual antennas so now there are three on the car hmmmm 

dual hooded accessory mirrors very cool i have one of those on my car and love it mine is mounted higher on the fender but hey it was an accessory

i guess he never did the cloth on the doors that could finish it off

it has the early temp gauge in the dash

those colors just work so well on 57s really good looking car

just curious how the car is started being an alternator and looks like a non pedal start carb.

and everyone who doesnt know calls the dynaflow a 2 speed because of "D" and "L"

my opinion

• Like 1

I guess a typical unknowing car salesman would call it a 2 speed; a true Buick affecianodo would call it a Dynaflow. 😎

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:01 AM, RivNut said:

Why oh why does everyone speak of the Dynaflow as a two speed.  Are they thinking that Buick used a Powerglide in all their cars?

Why, pray tell, is it not a 2 speed?  It has two speeds...

5 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Why, pray tell, is it not a 2 speed?  It has two speeds...

Forward and reverse?  😳

Low is a separate gear.. it always starts out in high in drive but there is another gear to choose so it is technically a two speed.

• Like 2

The skirts aren’t so bad, I think.   I could live with them.   But that tail end.  Yuk!

I do love me some 4-door hardtops.  Chevy called it a Sport Sedan.  Nice car.  

I can post the entire service manual and nobody will read it, so I'll just post this snip.

Direct drive and low gear.  Sounds like two speeds to me.

gears.PNG.44b0c77b82b5ad6115c22a50cf482902.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Technically it is a 2 speed.  I think the confusion comes from the fact that most people in normal driving will only use the high gear, and the car doesn't shift itself between the 2; both are not required for full range of speed.  Hence, calling it a 2-speed Dynaflow is accurate but calling it a 2-speed automatic is not.

• Like 1

and good luck getting any more out of it.  It might be able to squeak 12, but as others have said, all that "flare" has to go.  And the Auto Zone air cleaner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lancemb said:

I think the confusion comes from the fact that most people in normal driving will only use the high gear, and the car doesn't shift itself between the 2; both are not required for full range of speed.

Similar to the '71 Super Beetle "AutoStick" my wife drove 40 years ago.  Basically a 3-speed manual with a torque converter/electric-vacuum clutch replacing the normal mechanical clutch.  Touching the gearshift activated the clutch.  Like the Dynaflow, it could be driven forward just leaving it in 3rd gear -- but 0 to 30 acceleration was measured in minutes...  It could, however, be shifted like a manual without a clutch pedal.

Gents, 

Greetings. New to the Buick forum here. I was the high bidder on the Love to Hate 57 Buick.....

I am in Cincinnati and was wondering if there is anybody up in the NW part of the country that knows the vehicle or would be able to inspect the vehicle for me? 

Cheers