1977 Plymouth fury salon wheel hub specs

1977 ply salon

Hi I’m new to the forum! However not new to classics! I own a 66 thunder chicken stock 428 town landau and I have inherited my Grandads 77 Plymouth fury salon. Today I’m trying to figure out what the center bore for the 77 Fury salon is but I can’t seem to find it online so I came here to see if anyone here would know. I know it’s a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and a 5.5 inch wide by 15 inch rim just cannot find the hub measurements! Thank you in advance the car has incorrect wheels so I’m planning to get stock ones or near stock that are aftermarket!

I am curious why you are listing the bolt pattern as 5 x 114.3 mm ? I know some on line interchange sites use metric designations but up until the last 5 years or so no one would have called this anything other than 5 x 4.5 inches.

You don't care about interchange I would expect. You just want a set of O.E.M. Plymouth wheels. Anyone in a position to supply you with these wheels is almost certainly going to refer to them by their imperial { inch ) size.

They were not designed or manufactured in a metric world. Why cloud the issue ?    

Does your car still have a spare tire ? If so have a good look at it. As long as it is not a space saver that is probably the wheel you want 4 more of.  Take the tire off and look at all the stamped identification marks.

There is probably the name of the actual wheel manufacturer as well as the size. There will also be things like inspection marks and a production date, which for your purpose don't matter.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is the same thing but the metric version is an awkward conversion from the original size.  From an engineering point of view no one would have ever decided to produce a 114.3 mm P.C.D.. They chose  4 .5 inches and that is the dimension that would have appeared on the blue print. Why call it anything else ?

Being Canadian I run into this sort of measurement " rewriting of history " all the time.  We officially became a metric country way back in the 1970's. But so many products sold in Canada are either American produced or also sold in the American market. So the product is sized in a way

that reflects it's Imperial measurement design and manufacture. But for the Canadian market it is labeled or designated in some metric equivalent . Like 114.3 mm instead of  4.5 inches. Have you ever tried to measure .3 of a mm without a micrometer ? Why use such awkward sizes for

things that make perfect sense in their original notation and little sense as a metric equivalent ? 

Greg in Canada

6 hours ago, 1977 ply salon said:

Hi I’m new to the forum! However not new to classics! I own a 66 thunder chicken stock 428 town landau and I have inherited my Grandads 77 Plymouth fury salon. Today I’m trying to figure out what the center bore for the 77 Fury salon is but I can’t seem to find it online so I came here to see if anyone here would know. I know it’s a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and a 5.5 inch wide by 15 inch rim just cannot find the hub measurements! Thank you in advance the car has incorrect wheels so I’m planning to get stock ones or near stock that are aftermarket!

Are you still here?

Still here just got off work thank you for the responses I appreciate the answer! 2.8 inches got it thank you! I used 114.3 because that’s what I’ve been looking at for wheels none of the wheels I’ve been looking at have 4.5 yes I’m aware they are the same but that’s also what my wheel specs were that I found online as I said before they don’t have the stock oem wheels on them and I do not have the car with me I’m stationed in Camp Pendleton California while it’s back in Texas so I’m trying to take leave later on to get it moved just starting the process with wheels and tires then since the tranny and engine are already out just have to put her on truck and trailer and haul her out for rebuild. Hopefully that answers your question about the bolt pattern. I’m trying to decide whether I should match the center bore with the wheel or just go with matching the bolt pattern on the wheels due to the fact it seems impossible to find oem wheels for a 1977 Plymouth fury salon. There’s very little info on these cars online so I’ve got to search for it. Once I get back home from on leave I’ll post up a picture once it’s out of the garage it’s in currently the picture I do have of it is pretty sad but it’s in really good condition been sitting since 83 in the garage it sits now. No rust, no nothing just dust. Can’t wait for the rebuild!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TerryB said:

I can’t help you with your question but I would like to give you a big 👍 for working on a 1977 Plymouth.  Post a pic if you can.

only one I got right now but once I get back she’ll be coming out of the slow grave she’s been sitting in since 83 I’ll be getting her moved and rebuilt after june

F0311EB0-D8FE-46B7-8F7E-7F3BA903007E.jpeg

• Like 1

Unless there is something very unusual about 1977 Plymouth wheels, I can't see why they would be difficult to find. They are probably the same wheel as on several Chrysler Corp. products, and were probably used for several years. There are most likely hundreds of thousands of them out there.

You need to do a bit of research with a Hollanders interchange manual and see exactly which wheels will work. Buying brand new, aftermarket steel wheels would be my last resort.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I have to go to aftermarket unless I want to but from a private seller and I’d rather not so new aftermarket steelies are my option. The Chrysler corps here doesn’t sell any classic wheels. Thanks for the advice though. Just have to match the bolt pattern and I should be fine and get the center hub as close as possible