1941 passenger side mirror useless

Bob Stein

My 1941 Packard 110 has the factory door mirrors which look very nice, but the passenger side is not adjustable to be useful.  I can get a good view of what is passing along about ten feet further out, but the mirror will not adjust in far enough to let me see rearward.  Has anyone come up with a solution? I may have to add a peep mirror, but I do not want to clutter up the door.

These are the three mirrors that were offered, showing the location of where they'd be mounted. Obviously the sidemount mirror does not apply in your case. Also, while the mirror attached to the molding in the photo below is obviously mounted on a Clipper series, the same mirror was used for the traditional style as well, but mounted where the short cowl trim is located. If you really want a useless passenger side mirror, that would be it. (The base has a "goose-neck" look to it, unlike what you currently have). I suggest that you look for the door "clamp-on" mirror, which are not all that hard to find (unless you're looking for absolute authentic). Most of the ones I see out there are so similar, I wouldn't worry about it.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.53.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.56.17 AM.png

This is the goose-neck mirror that attaches to the side molding for the traditional-bodied cars. It's basically the same as for the clippers, but the base is different, to match the molding in which it replaces. These were reproduced at one time, but as far as I know, they are now very, very hard to find. Plus, as I said in previous post, for the passenger-side mirror, it's completely useless. It has less of a "screw on" look to it, though, as if it were creatively designed to complement the car itself.

IMG_3133.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While the mirrors on the car turned out to be aftermarket, they looked nice and were installed with screws.  Also, my doors have a seal around the edge that would be torn up by clamp-on mirrors.  I decided to get creative last night and attacked the passenger side mirror with a Dremel tool to cut a small slot in the mirror back that allowed the head to swivel further.  A small round spacer added enough distance for the added swivel to clear the base.  It took a little additional fiddling, but the mirror now shows the proper view, and the changes are mostly invisible unless you know what to look for.

packard_mirror.jpg