Sign in to follow this  
bloodowl89

Pricing junk vehicles

17 hours ago, JFranklin said:

I have a motorcycle that was last registered in '74. The Oregon dmv wanted full back registration so it sits in the barn still with 3k miles on it. 

I have an old BSA in the garage, I think its a 67 and title is in my name, Hasn't run in probably 30 years.

If the state wants back fees it would be a big surprise to me.

I think I could have it running in a weekend, but have been putting it off for those 30 years.

Maybe I should bring it to the swap meet this year.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I’ve titled several junk cars in Michigan. Mine were painless. They were antiques. Go in, tell them you bought the junked car to restore, pay the sales tax on the junk car purchase price that you tell them, pay the title fee, and they mail it to you.

You may need a Michigan address.

Michigan May have age rules that I’m not familiar with. My four cars were 1920’s

Very easy. 
       Ron Hausmann P.E.

Ok. So what I have settled on for the time being is this: (I want to run this by the people on here to see what they think) Rather than go through Vermont, Alabama apparently works similarly or the same way and it's much closer. Now, in order to register a vehicle it has to be running and road worthy. I'm not sure as of yet if in Alabama you pay taxes on the NADA value, or for the price paid just yet, but I obviously have to get the vehicles running first. If I do this to a minor extent, just enough to meet criteria for registration, I can get them registered. not take the chance of sinking too much money prior to registering, and not increase the potential taxable value. Now the interesting part is I hear that most states purge records every 5-7 years for unregistered vehicles. These have been unregistered since '79 and '82 so 30-40 years which would easily more than meet the criteria for being out of the system so they need to be re-registered.This would explain why both VIN and plates returned nothing on the vehicles. This is where Alabama comes in and I have my Bill of Sale to get them registered. Also in Vermont,  NADA low value is used, (ex. $16,600 on '63 Chevy c10) a dealer can be consulted and appraise them at less and that be taxed instead. If this is the same it saves a lot of money in the long run which can go towards other things at that point. When the vehicles are registered to Alabama, I can turn around and transfer them over to the Florida process to get titles and everything for the most part should be right as rain and I "should" be free to restore the vehicles and hopefully make my late grandfather and great-grandmother proud. How does this sound?

• Like 1