Maxwell Distributor Drive

cletrac

I have a 1927 Chrysler that apparently used the Maxwell four cylinder engine. The REMY distributor is fine however the drive is made from pot metal and is disintegrating as I write this. Has anybody tooled up and made a replacement drive for these engines? I can't be the only one with this problem. Many thanks for any help.

• 1 year later...

I have this pair. One has good looking diecast but that blade is broken off,I presume from internal swelling locking the shaft. The other has swelled and cracked diecast but a good blade on the shaft. It would take some doing,the shaft would probably need to be drilled out of the good casting and the casting broke off of the other one. Maybe some honing on the casting and sanding with fine emery paper on the shaft. I've sold a couple of these in the past that were id'd as 28 Plymouth so maybe several of the 20's Mopars used them. I would take $65 for the pair shipping included,check or paypal,holler if interested. I've read that it's impurities in the diecast that makes them swell after many years.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Hello, If you are still looking for a drive I believe I have one that will work.  I have a 1928 Plymouth that uses the drive and have picked up a few spares.  You have to be careful when you buy these.  I believe the early  Maxwell drive was offset in relation ship to the Plymouth . I have one  drive that looks like the Plymouth drive but will not bolt to the Plymouth block.  The price for two drives are a total of $40. I can send pictures if interested.  As you can tell I'm not getting rich on this sale.  Don in central Ohio and I will be at Hershey.  740-816-4284

17 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Hello, If you are still looking for a drive I believe I have one that will work.  I have a 1928 Plymouth that uses the drive and have picked up a few spares.  You have to be careful when you buy these.  I believe the early  Maxwell drive was offset in relation ship to the Plymouth . I have one  drive that looks like the Plymouth drive but will not bolt to the Plymouth block.  The price for two drives are a total of $40. I can send pictures if interested.  As you can tell I'm not getting rich on this sale.  Don in central Ohio and I will be at Hershey.  740-816-4284

Hi Don - yes I’m interested. I’ll drop you a call. - Mark

On 8/31/2021 at 11:52 PM, sagefinds said:

I have this pair. One has good looking diecast but that blade is broken off,I presume from internal swelling locking the shaft. The other has swelled and cracked diecast but a good blade on the shaft. It would take some doing,the shaft would probably need to be drilled out of the good casting and the casting broke off of the other one. Maybe some honing on the casting and sanding with fine emery paper on the shaft. I've sold a couple of these in the past that were id'd as 28 Plymouth so maybe several of the 20's Mopars used them. I would take $65 for the pair shipping included,check or paypal,holler if interested. I've read that it's impurities in the diecast that makes them swell after many years.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

thanks for the offer but I’m not equipped at the moment to try a rebuild. - Mark

On 9/3/2021 at 7:57 PM, DFeeney said:

Hey Don I sent you a private message, not sure if you got it. But here’s my email address mark@rdusaclassics.com