Legitimate Collectibles?

Blue90

Many of us lament the fact that Reattas have not been given the respectability of other Buick models in terms of collectibility - read resale value.😢

So this weekend I'm reading the February 2020 issue of the Buick Bugle (still a great magazine) and in the "message from the board", BCA President John Steed (thank you John for your service) says "When I joined the BCA, the 1937-38 Buicks were most popular.  Now the hobby has moved to the Reattas and Grand Nationals."😃

So how come nobody told me?🤔

• Like 1

And there are those of us that know the Reatta is a collectible - as with most collectible cars, the pristine low mileage ones are the first to take off.  

we have this argument all the time but we recently saw Reatta's selling in the $20K and up range and folks, there are very few 1990 cars that are going to bring that money short of exotics- the proof is in the pudding so to say.  I guess the true collectors run a different mindset that the run of the mill Reatta driver.  

• Like 1

I have seen it with other cars............a wide variety of people/collectors own then when they are plentiful, inexpensive, and fairly new.

As they age and have been driven,  the population that owned them because they were inexpensive and easy to repair/find parts for...start to leave the hobby.

This is the point that we separate the true collector from the "has been",  as in was an owner but sold out because they lost interest, parts started to get expensive and they probably did not own a really nice car (needed TLC)

The Reatta is a classic example of a collector car.......(1) it was expensive when new  (2) built in limited numbers (3) a really good car even if it was not high powered or considered a sports car.

I am keeping mine because I don't see anything out there that would be a good replacement.

• Like 1

I'm particularly happy that the Reatta being viewed as a "collectable" is somewhat kept "secret" among us Reatta owners.  It allows us to purchase a second, or third, (and some folk a fourth!) Reatta at a reasonable price.  I'm always impressed by the excellent representation of Reatta's at annual BCA Nationals.  We, as owners, know the real and true value among us....shhhhh! 

Living in Arizona you see lots of what you would consider collectable cars still in daily use as drivers. The guy at our Auto parts store drives a 1970 Mustang in original condition. If he were to try to sell it he would get peanuts for it. However, if it were a 20,000 mile pristine survivor or had a restoration done, it would get good money. Same with the Reatta. 

I’m betting on the Reatta becoming more collectible and valuable with time. I’m 28 years old and have three ‘91 convertibles, all very nice with low mileage, including two consecutive serial number twins. 

Hopefully, holding onto them (and figuring out storage) for several more years will pay off someday when I sell them!

• Like 1

I think it will be too. I do hope they go up in value but not until I get another one or two. Which will probably be after I buy a house. My 91 I’m the second owner it’s a 1of 1 in its color combo and options low miles. Low VIN 900068 Like 48k as of now bought it with 46k in 2018 for like 6500. What other cars can you get that much bang for your buck for?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I am keeping mine because I don't see anything out there that would be a good replacement.

I think this is the definitive answer.  Everyone who has reacted to this post realizes the value and fun of owning and driving these cars. 😃

I am not a rich guy.  Yet I can afford two Reattas, albeit high mileage and in need of repairs/replacement parts.  The 'vert is about to turn 190,000 miles while the coupe has 235,000.  They are both reliable great drivers; I'd take them anywhere. 🙂

I'm almost 75 years old and fairly comfortable in my retirement.  I am not interested in resale value.  I can still get parts for my cars in junk yards and I can still do most of my own work; that is certainly part of the mystique.  

What else am I going to drive/collect; Corvette, Jaguar, Porsche, Rx-7, Camaro, Mustang, Charger?

Just not the same.  Even though all great collectibles.  

I think DShip is right, "shhh!😊

• Like 1