Electric window conversion

rwchatham

I agree that finding a donor car would be the best for a restoration.

I build street rods and have had really good luck with 'Specialty Power Windows' if that's an alternative for you.

They are not cheap but work well and are guaranteed for life. 

https://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/

I have a friend with a 57, Imperial I think it is, that has been parked for several years in the woods that he might sell parts from if you pull them.

It is in Seaside Oregon.

If you are interested in that I will check to see if it has power windows.

No problem, They are universal and I would guess that if the windows go straight up and down they could be made to fit.

I have installed several sets.

One does have to do some fabrication on any aftermarket window kit.

I have seen some early custom cars that never had power windows ( Ford F100 and early Holdens) where they use a winder handle as the switch. Move the handle up a fraction and the power window lifts up, down and it goes down. Very neat otherwise a power window switch just looks so out of place in these cars.

otherwise if it has a centre console, mount the switches in there, unobtrusive and don’t look out of place!

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

On 2/17/2020 at 11:02 PM, TTR said:

Chrysler used 3 different suppliers in ‘57 for OEM power window motor/regulator assemblies and most of their components or parts do not interchange...

That kind of thing is pretty much why I have mostly GM stuff. I swear I remember walking up to the parts counter and asking for MoPar brake parts. The counter guy needed to know if the car was assembled on the A shift or B shift, the name of the assembler, and first name of his first born male child. AND it had 8 wheel cylinders!

We thought one assembler had two son's named Bob, but it was just a problem with a tractor feed printer... but believable.

Bernie

• Like 1

Aftermarket power window systems are pretty unreliable and fussy. I get hot rods all the time with some kind of power window system in them and they rarely work right and always feel delicate. Either the motors aren't powerful enough or the switches are low-quality plastic or the tracks are so flimsy that the glass tends to rack and jam. On hot rods with near-vertical windows the systems work OK, but anything with curved side glass, or glass that goes down into the door at an angle, or glass with a heavy metal frame and you're going to have a rough time of it. The OEM stuff is VASTLY superior and I suspect the reason is cost. The aftermarket guys have to sell a few hundred kits that fit a wide variety of applications. The OEMs built hundreds of thousands with specific applications that they had to warranty. If an aftermarket company wanted to build an OEM-quality power window system, it would probably cost $2000 and nobody would ever buy it. Think about it.

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

I have seen some early custom cars that never had power windows ( Ford F100 and early Holdens) where they use a winder handle as the switch. Move the handle up a fraction and the power window lifts up, down and it goes down. Very neat otherwise a power window switch just looks so out of place in these cars.

I've had several hot rods with those switches in them and it is cool--as long as the people in the car remember that they're power window switches and not window cranks. I have personally snapped the switch off the door panel because I didn't realize it was a power window switch and just started cranking as usual. Cool idea, but unbelievably fragile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Aftermarket power window systems are pretty unreliable and fussy.

This is why I recommended the Expensive ones.

Most garage guys wouldn't step up to a $400 plus kit for two windows when there are $150 kits available.

What you say about the curved and angled windows is probably spot on, but I have never tried any conversions like that. Only flat glass.

I have three cars in my stable with the SPW kits and no problems, My 36 has had them for about 35 years and still work fine.

I have never had to look into the lifetime warrantee.

I also would be nervous with the handle looking switch for the exact reason you mentioned.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:52 AM, 60FlatTop said:

That kind of thing is pretty much why I have mostly GM stuff. I swear I remember walking up to the parts counter and asking for MoPar brake parts. The counter guy needed to know if the car was assembled on the A shift or B shift, the name of the assembler, and first name of his first born male child. AND it had 8 wheel cylinders!

We thought one assembler had two son's named Bob, but it was just a problem with a tractor feed printer... but believable.

Bernie

Be thankful if you never had work on handmade vintage Italian sports cars. Sometimes their assembly efforts and component choices, especially those focused on creature comforts, can make many home or so-called professional built Hot Rods and their aftermarket trinkets Matt is referring to seem like well thought out and executed applications.

OTOH, it seems majority of vintage vehicle “restorations” to stock form, be they by amateurs or so-called professionals, also suffer from less than well executed efforts and lack of understanding the quality choices of parts.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

Thanks for the tips guys . I’ve always done original restorations but this car is a 1957 Dual Ghia and from what I understand the window mechanisms were very finicky from the start so many are replaced with aftermarket mechanisms . 

See my comments regarding Italian coachwork craftsmanship.
Been there, done that, more than few times and have plenty of scars, both mental and physical, from them. 🤪