Looking to buy YUGO or LADA

65lim

I’m looking to buy a Yugo or Lada. I’ve tried to look on craigslist and some other websites but still got no luck. I’m hoping someone in this forums have them for sale or know someone selling them please let me know. Some things to note is that the car has to be in a good and running condition, also the car has to be able to be registered in CA. Thank you in advance.

Ladas were never imported to the USA, but were to Canada. Look north of the border.

Yugos were sold in the USA, and there was probably a California emission version. It may still be tough to impossible to get a non-California car registered. I don't know about that.

To import from Canada you need both DOT and EPA clearance. That is just forms if the car is 25 years old or older, and very tough and expensive if it isn't. You could then license in you lived elsewhere, but possibly not in California. Good luck!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Ladas were imported to Canada from 1978 through 1995.  The most popular was the fiat 124 based 1500S four door sedan.  It received a new front end appearance in 1983 (2105), and a more upmarket GLS model in 1985 (2107).  Announced in 1987 was the Samara model, though they didn't start arriving until 1988.   

The most collectible and desirable Lada would be the Niva 4X4 which was imported to Canada from 1981 through 1995, basically unchanged.  Later models from 1992 had a lower-opening rear liftgate, which made it easier to load and unload.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, supercargirl said:

Looking to buy YUGO or LADA - that request made my day!   I say that without sarcasm.  Good luck in your search and please keep us posted on what you find.  

There was a local dealership around here that sold both Chevies and Yugos back in the late 80's- early 90's. After the Yugo reputation/appeal started to nosedive - in spite of the low purchase price - this dealership offered a free Yugo with every new 4x4 Chevy pickup purchased!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, JamesR said:

There was a local dealership around here that sold both Chevies and Yugos back in the late 80's- early 90's. After the Yugo reputation/appeal started to nosedive - in spite of the low purchase price - this dealership offered a free Yugo with every new 4x4 Chevy pickup purchased!

I remember that promotion.  There was a dealer in the Dayton, Ohio area that did the same thing.  Buy a Truck or Suburban and get a Yugo free.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, JamesR said:

Yep, Thomas Cadillac in Hartford, CT sold Yugos and was doing the same thing, not surprised another GM dealer would do that, especially on a higher margin unit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

I remember that promotion.  There was a dealer in the Dayton, Ohio area that did the same thing.  Buy a Truck or Suburban and get a Yugo free.  

Steve said:

Yep, Thomas Cadillac in Hartford, CT sold Yugos and was doing the same thing, not surprised another GM dealer would do that, especially on a higher margin unit.

Wow, they did that in Ohio and Connecticut, too! Didn't realize it was a widespread promotion strategy. Thanks for the info.