Axle ID help

psychostang

Did anyone notice the ROA# of the author of the list?  It's the way numbers used to be assigned.  My number was originally 32790.  3 for a 1963, 279 for the numerical order in which I joined, and 0 for 10/October when it was time for me to renew.  That would be kind of difficult now with member numbers with five digits, members with more than one car, and multiyear memberships. 🙂

Thanks Steve.  It is actually a great help.  Based on my picture and your info, you can see that this axle assembly is either a 63 or 64.  The dash number would prolly tell me that.  This confirms that the axle is not original to my car, as I have a 65.  

Next question:  Is there any difference between the 1st gen axle assemblies?

Is this axle housing complete?  If so, there's a difference in the way the 63 and 64 rear ends connect to the drive shaft.  It's been quite a while since I've  been under either of my cars but if memory serves me correctly, the 63 driveshaft connects to the rear via a u-joint and the 64 driveshaft connects to the rear end via a flange.  I may have some old pictures. If so, I'll see if I can find them and post them.  If the axles are still in the axle housings, the left side of the 63 axle will have left hand threads on the studs. 64 will have right hand threads.

That didn't take as long as I imagined.

Here's a picture of a 63 driveshaft attached to the rear end. Notice that a U-joint is attached directly to the rear end.

1814163578_1963Rivierarearend.jpg.fc2b31108d321981be7ad3e9e505d69c.jpg

Here's a picture of a 64 drive shaft attached to the rear end. Notice that the constant velocity joint is attached to a flange which in turn is attached to the rear end.

387447193_64rearend.jpg.cf2f3ab3e1bafa20e2a8b4dc45913651.jpg

I've never seen either with the 63 U-joint or the 64 flange removed from the pinion spline but I think if those are removed, the rear ends are the same.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)