1932 Upholstery Advice and Help

I have a 1932 Chrysler CP8 five passenger sedan. Restoration is complete except for the fabric interior. All of the original interior pieces are available as patterns. Fabric, close to the original, is available. All of the interior trim pieces have been wood-grained.

The best quote thus far is $25K from a qualified firm. Is this anywhere within the realm of reason?

Also, is anyone aware of qualified firms out there that could do the job? I need some comparable estimates.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

That’s too high, by quite a bit, in my opinion.  Where are you located?  I’m not interested in doing it, but I know a good trimmer to recommend.

Same in my opinion, too.

Paul

4 hours ago, Bluejeepnut said:

The car is in Chicago, IL and can be shipped.

The place you received the quote are they located in Berwyn?

I had my interior done by Mr Trim. Don't recall off hand my bill was but am sure it was under $10,000. I was indeed to have it complete fairly quickly since I needed the car done for my wife's nephews wedding. So the cost was a bit more for the quick turnaround

Attached are some pictures of my car.

April 26 2015-04_zpsf6ddkb9o.jpg

April 26 2015-06_zps8mtlxb9s.jpg

April 26 2015-05_zpsvwubpkmc.jpg

Edited by Packin31 (see edit history)

The last interior I had done was in a 30's Convertible Victoria - all materials, seat spring fabrication front and rear - then leather interior, carpets, and convertible top (patterned were there for looks only - not suitable for really anything in a true pattern) @ 100 point to win at any Concours d'Elegance = $24,110 @ 85.00 per hour.  

And, the joy - fellow is a good engineer too and everything works (ex. handles) in interior, windlace fits all its gaps, and... - well thought out.  

And, he told me drop off date and pick up date - 3 weeks total.

I had it done in Greater Cincinnati.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

The last interior I had done was in a 30's Convertible Victoria - all materials, seat spring fabrication front and rear - then leather interior, carpets, and convertible top (patterned were there for looks only - not suitable for really anything in a true pattern) @ 100 point to win at any Concours d'Elegance = $24,110 @ 85.00 per hour.  

And, the joy - fellow is a good engineer too and everything works (ex. handles) in interior, windlace fits all its gaps, and... - well thought out.  

And, he told me drop off date and pick up date - 3 weeks total.

I had it done in Greater Cincinnati.

John, let’s say 4000 in  materials, , so roughly 20k at $85 an hour .  That’s 235 hours.  3 weeks, 78 hours a week, so assume it was him an an assistant solid for three weeks.

Thats interesting, because I figure a Classic sedan at 250 hours, if you have to do pockets on springs and everything from scratch...an open car,180 or so on interior and 60  on top....

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

John, let’s say 4000 in  materials, , so roughly 20k at $85 an hour .  That’s 235 hours.  3 weeks, 78 hours a week, so assume it was him an an assistant solid for three weeks.

Thats interesting, because I figure a Classic sedan at 250 hours, if you have to do pockets on springs and everything from scratch...an open car,180 or so on interior and 60  on top....

Correct - His wife had to help due to the time crunch.  We brought the car in about this period of time and I got it back a week and a half before Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance - most complicated top you would ever want on a car too via its design by Bohman & Schwartz (so you would be a little little heavy on the interior time and a little light on the top/boot time). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Correct - His wife had to help due to the time crunch.  We brought the car in about this period of time and I got it back a week and a half before Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance - most complicated top you would ever want on a car too via its design by Bohman & Schwartz (so you would be a little little heavy on the interior time and a little light on the top/boot time). 

Yes, 60 is for an average top with bows in decent condition...and more hours as you note the more complicated and the more out of line top structure might be...

• Like 1