Mark Gregory

Motorists over 50 want Hood ornaments, Wooden steering wheels and Ignition keys according to Survey

Recommended Posts

I like rear cameras particularly when parked next to a blimpmobie or giant pickup that make a better door than window. Wide angle at rear I can see what is coming down an aisle much earlier than from the driver's seat. Also had a camera on the back of my travel trailer to see what was right behind.

 

Agree about the lack of vent windows, had the last GM car that had them, a '72 A-body wagon (in 1985). Great tow car.

 

goatwgn.jpg

 

If worried about being rearended then a frame mounted class III receiver with a step will fold up the front of an F-150 without damage to your car.. Personally liked the bumperless look on my 67 Camaro and have always thought the less chrome the better.

 

camaro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

My biggest gripe of all is non-bumper plastic "bumpers", some spanning a car's whole rump, an insult to motorist's pocket book.  They offer no protection, but do carry a guarantee....that it will cost like hell upon receiving a 5 mph bump.  And all those dash buttons, how many accidents have they caused by being so distracting?  I LOVE the two knob radio on my '80 Cutlass.  Missing too are the vent windows that circulated FRESH air, that my '64 Caliente has.  Reverse cameras, nope, I prefer cars you can just see out of the back of. 
Just an old fuddy-duddy I guess. 

Bumper facias are expendable bumper covers that blend in with the body and make your car more aerodynamic. There really is a bumper behind them, but they are not the bumper. If you look at what manufacturers had to deal with ( gov. regs.) with the old mid 70's cars with the appearance was even uglier, so they created facias to conceal the ugly bumper.

See these nice looking bumpers below;

 Image result for 1971 450slc

See what happened when gov. regulation took place below;

Image result for 1971 450slc

Today;

Image result for 2020 mercedes sports cars

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am about to turn 70 and would like to keep Ignition keys, CD players, window winders.

 

I normally buy daily driver cars with 40k to 50k miles and drive them until they die at 250 to 300k + miles.  Normally I replace at least one window motor somewhere around 150k miles.  I never had to replace a wind up window mechanism.

 

Sometimes i like to play a selection I have on CD while driving.

 

Ignition keys, just because.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, padgett said:

I like rear cameras particularly when parked next to a blimpmobie or giant pickup that make a better door than window. Wide angle at rear I can see what is coming down an aisle much earlier than from the driver's seat. Also had a camera on the back of my travel trailer to see what was right behind.

 

Agree about the lack of vent windows, had the last GM car that had them, a '72 A-body wagon (in 1985). Great tow car.

 

goatwgn.jpg

 

If worried about being rearended then a frame mounted class III receiver with a step will fold up the front of an F-150 without damage to your car.. Personally liked the bumperless look on my 67 Camaro and have always thought the less chrome the better.

 

camaro.jpg

It's illegal to drive a car in Florida without a front bumper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picture was taken in 1968.

 

ps you mean a "chromed styling panel" ? What GM called them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, padgett said:

Wide angle at rear I can see what is coming down an aisle much earlier than from the driver's seat.

Defensive Driving recommends always backing into a space unless it is a drive through.  Same at home, backing into your driveway is easier/safer rather than backing out into traffic.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been casually looking for a replacement for my Cadillac CTS wagon, but to be honest, it seems to be one of the last mostly analog cars. I don't want a touch screen or push button start or extra gadgets that talk to my phone. I just don't. Yes, the Cadillac annoys me because it turns on its own headlights, but the instrument lights and headlights are on separate circuits so they often don't talk to each other and the dash is too dark to see. I hate that I can't adjust the seat while I'm moving. I'm annoyed that the on/off switch for the radio isn't really an on/off switch but rather a button that asks the computer to turn on the radio, and sometimes it decides not to do it. Same with the volume knob--the faster you turn it, the less it does because it thinks you're doing something you don't want to do. And, of course, the automatic hatch that crushed my hand seemingly out of spite.

 

But that's the future, I guess. I don't know how they decide these things need to be in the cars--focus groups, I suppose. But do people REALLY want all this stuff or are they just saying yes when it's offered? I bet if you had to think of what you really wanted in a car, it wouldn't start with a touch screen with ten layers of menus...

 

Meh. I've become a Luddite and I'm not happy about it. But I don't want a car to frustrate me--the rest of my life does enough of that. I just want it to work the way it should.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 76 and my drivers are all in the 25yo range. I'm not sure how many upgrades that I'm going to have to make, but for now I'm just happy to be driving one of my two Mark VIII's.  However, on the occasion that I fly and rent a car, it requires about 5 min worth of study of the owner's manual before I can get the damn thing started, out of the parking space and on to the street. Every car that I rent is different, is it too much to expect that cars operation should maintain level of standardization. I always prided myself in being able to hop in most any car and drive it. Why do manufacturers think that they have to keep changing things?

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I bet if you had to think of what you really wanted in a car, it wouldn't start with a touch screen with ten layers of menus...

 

Exactly!!!  If ammunition wasn't so expensive, I would've assassinated at least a dozen menu-overloaded touch screens by now.  I am, however, losing some tooth enamel from grinding my teeth in frustration when confronted by all of these necessary "conveniences".  I've also found that "smackin' it upside the head" doesn't work with touch screens.

 

Ah well, maybe that's just me.

 

Cheers,

Grog

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wait for the insurance cos. to require a driving habit monitor connected to the OBD...oh some already do ? Welcome to the nanny car age.

 

Have had touch screams in cars since '12, is a lot easier than the screen without touch & lotsa unlabeled buttons in R171 Mercedes (the car that if you remove the CD changer to be able to put gloves in the glove box shuts down the radio...). At least most have an arrow to tell you which side the gas cap is on. Most of my laptops and all of my tablets have touch screams

 

Two things I hope never to have: flappy paddles and a shifter that has no detents (have never known one that wasn't the subject of a recall).

That said my CTS has a mechanical hi/low beam and a steerable headlamp. The cornering lamps on a 67 Grand Prix were a lot better.

 

Is only one car I still want and in three years it will be eligible for my collector policy.

 

ps how do you park backwards in a one way aisle with slant spots ? Ticket maybe ?

 

pps I always exit my driveway going frontwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, padgett said:

Just wait for the insurance cos. to require a driving habit monitor connected to the OBD...oh some already do ? Welcome to the nanny car age.

 

 

 

Actually something similar already happened. Manufacturers for years had told state governments that it was no longer necessary to have state emission testing stations because the cars today do their own testing and tell the owner when it's out of compliance. The reaction to that was owners would just drive the cars anyway. So the suggestion was made to disable the car. That triggered a liability issue so it was suggested that a special odometer be used in conjunction with standard and trip odometers that would give a count down from say 500 miles down to zero and after zero the car wouldn't start. That was part of OBD3 proposal. I still don't know where it is all going and I've been retired for 14 years now so I don't know. Besides it could become a political issue in that states have invested lots of money in these testing stations and are a good source of income. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

 

Actually something similar already happened. Manufacturers for years had told state governments that it was no longer necessary to have state emission testing stations because the cars today do their own testing and tell the owner when it's out of compliance. The reaction to that was owners would just drive the cars anyway. So the suggestion was made to disable the car. That triggered a liability issue so it was suggested that a special odometer be used in conjunction with standard and trip odometers that would give a count down from say 500 miles down to zero and after zero the car wouldn't start. That was part of OBD3 proposal. I still don't know where it is all going and I've been retired for 14 years now so I don't know. Besides it could become a political issue in that states have invested lots of money in these testing stations and are a good source of income. 

 

We went for years without having to have our two older Prius cars smog tested. In 2017 we got a notice that a smog check was needed to renew registration for both the 2001 and 2004 cars. Turns out the check consisted of three things:

  1. Visual inspection for obvious modifications under the hood.
  2. Visual inspection for leaks under the car
  3. Check with an ODB2 reader to confirm no codes.

For this 5 minute procedure we had the pleasure of spending $50 at the authorized inspection station. Let see: $50 for 1/12th of an hour or $600/hr labor rate. Testing stations in our state are private companies and I have no idea what portion of the fee goes to the state.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in on wanting an ignition KEY that does turn off POWER to a system. Just remember the Toyota unintended acceleration, where the driver had NO ability to turn the car off while it was driving at speed, since the computer knew the car should not be turned off for safety.........😯

 

Even my daughter insisted her car have an ignition key!

 

Lucky our family likes old cars, that's why I joined AACA, so no need to buy a keyless car for at least 25 years......👍

 

I do like those Fords with the external keypad, easy to get inside them with a few button pushes. Not secure at all...........😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ply33 said:

 

We went for years without having to have our two older Prius cars smog tested. In 2017 we got a notice that a smog check was needed to renew registration for both the 2001 and 2004 cars. Turns out the check consisted of three things:

  1. Visual inspection for obvious modifications under the hood.
  2. Visual inspection for leaks under the car
  3. Check with an ODB2 reader to confirm no codes.

For this 5 minute procedure we had the pleasure of spending $50 at the authorized inspection station. Let see: $50 for 1/12th of an hour or $600/hr labor rate. Testing stations in our state are private companies and I have no idea what portion of the fee goes to the state.

Some states 4 years from brand new before they have to be tested, some states six years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more things like this original post I see the more I realize I was born much later than I should have been. I’m 25 and I agree with pretty much that whole list. One thing no ones mentioned yet is those LED headlights. I don’t see the purpose of blinding everyone coming at you. I want quality interior materials again too. Like actually leather and not just plastic. And speaking of interiors more color combos not just black or tan. Bring back maroon, blue or even green interiors again. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's not just me with new vehicle headlight issues ! I drive a small car, many in my area have tall vehicles, 4 x 4's , crossdressers,, SUV's etc. And I drive quite a bit at night. The last couple of years the glare issue has become ...glaring.  Glare from other vehicle lights is often so bad that it outshines their turn signals at 4 way stop situations. What's the use of signaling a turn if the other drivers cant make out the light from the signal light against the headlight glare ? Or is it just my aging eyes ? 

I like to see where I am going as much as anyone , but the current state of illumination borders on the ridiculous. Sometimes when a 4 x 4 is behind me at a red light I feel like a WW2 aircraft caught in the searchlight beam's of hostile air defense. Do they all need their headlight's plus driving lights on all the time ?

4 big candlepower light sources seems a bit of overkill.

 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have come to the conclusion that most people do not know how to turn  their fog lights off.

ps see FMVSS 108 12.24.4 headlamp height

Not less than 55.9 cm. (22")  nor more than 137.2 cm. (54")

Height above road surface measured from center of device with vehicle at curb weight

 

So you would be ill advised to drive a GT-40 on a TLB at night.

 

ps Florida did away with inspection in all but 6 counties (there are 68) in 1972.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Mark Gregory said:

10. White wall tyres - 8%

 

That made think the survey might not reflect my tastes, the tyres part says furinurs to me. I have liked new cars for the past 62 years. And still like them, old and new.

 

When old men can't adapt to the changing times it is just a sign that Mother Nature is getting ready for a new cycle. And it doesn't include them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 12:40 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I'm definitely "over 50" at 71 and I don't want any of that stuff on my new car. I love all those things if they are appropriate to a hobby car but I also love most of the new car features - after you have had a car with a heated steering wheel, you can never go back! I'm also a little surprised to see so many in this car-centric group having such a hard time with new car features - all you have to do is read the owners manual. Now admittedly it's pretty thick and you might have to read it more than once...but if I can figure this stuff out anyone can.

Don, not so sure about those manuals explaining what you need to know to get where you want to go with all the electronics. Some of the manuals are written by American engineers or Off shore folks where English is not their first language. We have people writing, but I’m not sure they are communicating what they write.

Turbinator

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after about 100 pages of how to fasten a seat belt you might find info on the light bulbs and fluids but not much else. I always buy a service manual for my cars and most are useful (have a number on CD now, at least they are easy to lift). Even have a manual for a car I do not have yet (but someday).

 

Just checked my DD and in the driver's reach are 65 buttons, four rotary knobs. three multifunction levers, and a fake ignition key. Plus a touchscream.  Oh missed the five buttons and two rockers (for the not-a-sunroof) on the overhead.. Why I put velcro dots on the ones I use a lot.

 

 

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've been casually looking for a replacement for my Cadillac CTS wagon, but to be honest, it seems to be one of the last mostly analog cars. I don't want a touch screen or push button start or extra gadgets that talk to my phone. I just don't. Yes, the Cadillac annoys me because it turns on its own headlights, but the instrument lights and headlights are on separate circuits so they often don't talk to each other and the dash is too dark to see. I hate that I can't adjust the seat while I'm moving. I'm annoyed that the on/off switch for the radio isn't really an on/off switch but rather a button that asks the computer to turn on the radio, and sometimes it decides not to do it. Same with the volume knob--the faster you turn it, the less it does because it thinks you're doing something you don't want to do. And, of course, the automatic hatch that crushed my hand seemingly out of spite.

 

But that's the future, I guess. I don't know how they decide these things need to be in the cars--focus groups, I suppose. But do people REALLY want all this stuff or are they just saying yes when it's offered? I bet if you had to think of what you really wanted in a car, it wouldn't start with a touch screen with ten layers of menus...

 

Meh. I've become a Luddite and I'm not happy about it. But I don't want a car to frustrate me--the rest of my life does enough of that. I just want it to work the way it should.

Just be glad you don't love Cadillac Allante's!  I was just laughing to myself about entering my 1990.5 mint condition Pearl Allante' in the closest AACA show this coming summer. But then I realized it probably wouldn't start after I stopped to fill it up due to a security system glitch such as the dreaded VATS, which has been bypassed but none the less still afflicted it. Or the roof mechanism that always caused much swearing and skinned knuckles to raise and lower. The crappy dash display, etc.

 There needs to be a masochistic award for those stubborn owners who haven't given up on Allante's.  

I'm not one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost bought an Allante but stayed with Reattae. Last car I buy will probably be the retractable follow-on, by then the Northstar was pretty reliable & have a friend with a number of Shelby short-stars. Frankly never liked the Allante steering wheel and was unimpressed by the pushrod V-8s before the '93. And then I will probably dispose of at least one of the SLKs. Am waiting for a downturn but people in Florida are just too proud of theirs. Almost bought one a year ago but there was so many thousands difference between the advertised and the out the door ($1k documentary fee...) that I passed. Only requirement is Not Black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I end up with an allante at some point I’d definitely go for a 93. The analog dash and north star are a lot more appealing to me than the digital dash. One thing I do like on my 98 lesabre is the steering wheel controls for the radio. It’s just four buttons. Volume, seek, source, and another I don’t use or remember what it is. One feature I do want on the next car I buy to daily drive is heated seats. NY InThe winter isn’t too fun when you have a leather interior and the heat doesn’t kick in for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now