Sign in to follow this  
yardboss547

Yardboss547

Does anyone on here know what goes below the door between the door and the running boards. I think it's about 1 to 2 inches wide. On a 31 Plymouth coupe bolts to the bottom of the body just below the door. All help would be appreciated thanks in advance. 

You would be better off putting 32 Plymouth question as the title of the tread.

I think you are looking for the running board apron or sometimes splash aprons,. The run from fender to fender and below the body to the running boards.

1 hour ago, yardboss547 said:

Does anyone on here know what goes below the door between the door and the running boards. I think it's about 1 to 2 inches wide. On a 31 Plymouth coupe bolts to the bottom of the body just below the door. All help would be appreciated thanks in advance. 

It uses half-round molding that has sliding bolts in it....tapered on the front fender end....

IMG_7066 (2).JPG

IMG_7067 (2).JPG

IMG_7068 (2).JPG

IMG_7069 (2).JPG

6 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

I think it is called an apron?

Nope. It is above the apron and bolts to a flange under the body.

5 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

You would be better off putting 32 Plymouth question as the title of the tread.

I think you are looking for the running board apron or sometimes splash aprons,. The run from fender to fender and below the body to the running boards.

Not the splash apron, but the strip above it on the body.

2 minutes ago, yardboss547 said:

Yes I'm looking for that piece. I have th aprons and had new running boards made. Thanks. 

I can give you the dimensions if you like. They should be the same on your Plymouth as they are on my two 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupes.

15 minutes ago, yardboss547 said:

Yes I would like that. The measure would be real helpful. Thanks John 

Hope this works for you....

IMG_7074 (2).JPG

• Thanks 1

They are about 1/4" from the inside to the outside curve.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yardboss547 said:

Are they bowed to fix the body,looks like the body has a curve to it. 

Yes, they are very slightly bowed, but not bent. Does that make sense?

I'm looking for one of these moldings for my '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster project. Anyone got a spare? BTW, Sedans used a 3/4"x1.5"x5/32" thick spacer (with 5/16" hole) between this strip and the body at every bolt (likely meant to avoid trapping water?). As far as I know, Roadsters did not use a spacer. I have some spare spacers, but easy pieces to make.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I'm looking for one of these moldings for my '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster project. Anyone got a spare? BTW, Sedans used a 3/4"x1.5"x3/16" thick spacer between this strip and the body at every bolt (likely meantb to avoid trapping water?). As far as I know, Roadsters did not use a spacer. I have some spare spacers, but easy pieces to make.

I don't remember any spacers when I removed the items off of my 1931 DB coupes.

When I removed the molding from this '31 Chrysler CD8 Sedan, it had the spacers shown at each connection. Might have been a Chrysler only item? Here are the spacers. The photo shows bottom of body after molding and side apron were removed. Note cloth was wrapped around body lip as well, perhaps as anti-squeak, likely did not help with water retention? 

IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke
added photo and more detail (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

When I removed the molding from this '31 Chrysler CD8 Sedan, it had the spacers shown at each connection. Might have been a Chrysler only item? Here are the spacers. The photo shows bottom of body after molding and side apron were removed. Note cloth was wrapped around body lip as well, perhaps as anti-squeak, likely did not help with water retention? 

IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

Ohhhh yeah....THOSE! I DO have those. I forgot about them since I took the car apart so many years ago. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1