Wally Wag

Discontinued Automobile Award

I checked the judge and guidelines and I do not see a classification or rules for what is required to put a car in to the discontinued automobile class for the award can you help me

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. That is not a specific judging class. The National Awards Committee judges every vehicle entered in all AACA Meets and Tours and nominates vehicles for all of the various awards. The vehicles that are nominated for that particular award may come from any of several different classes. There system is designed so that there is only one class that is appropriate for any vehicle. If you want to explain what vehicle you have, I am sure that someone here can recommend the appropriate class for you.  

Thank you  I have a 1976 Avanti ll all original unrestored except for one repaint.  Paint is approved Avanti ll color as they would paint any manufactor' color.  Tires are new model due to the fact I use it for a lot of tours, had vintage type tires but had trouble on a tour and just purchase a new set of good years for safe feeling.

Class 35a in class judging.

Post a picture, please. 

Discontinued Automobile Award

Outstanding automobile whose manufacture ceased during the period of 1939 through current allowable year entered in a National Meet.  Established in 1999 by Darrell and Jacqueline Davis in honor of Paul D. Davis.

(Sorry about the rich text. That's the way it was printed from where I copied it.)

35. DESIGNATED LIMITED PRODUCTION, PROTOTYPE & EXPERIMENTAL VEHICLES...

35a.Vehicles having a minimum of four cylinders, 75hp and 100" wheelbase. All three requirements must be met or exceeded to be included in this class. All other vehicles not meeting this criteria will be placed in Class 35b.
Avanti, Avanti II .................1965-1985...

NATIONAL AWARDS TEAM
The National Awards team, under the supervision of the VP National Awards, observes all of the vehicles judged at all Nationals and compiles a list of the most outstanding vehicles at each Nationals. These vehicles will be considered for the various National Awards by the National Awards Committee. The Chief Judge will assign to the National Awards team only those members who indicate on their judges’ registration form that they serve on the National Awards Committee and who are also on the approved judges list provided by the VP Judging.

Edited by Phillip Cole
Addition (see edit history)

Attached are a few pics of the Avanti  thanks it has been in two national shows.  First show I went to they placed it in DPC. I though  as you noted 35a.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When you say "First show I went to they placed it in DPC. I though  as you noted 35a.", I assume "they" was the team captain for 35a in consultation with the chief judge?

Nothing wrong with DPC. We own three DPC cars, which we do show and tour. But mainly we drive them. 

There is a National Award for Post War DPC  cars "not only as works of art but for the fun of driving on the highways.  This award is given to a pre-war and post-war vehicle."

Edited by Phillip Cole
Addition (see edit history)

With older cars and non original tires (radials) they would put you in DPC because 4 incorrect tires would prevent an otherwise perfect car from achieving an award.  That would not be the case with a 1976 because it probably came with radial tires.  I believe they have since lowered the point deduction for non original style tires and a car can squeak through.  Were the wire wheels a factory option for the Avanti II's?  If not that may be why you were directed to dpc. 

Avanti Bill,

Wally Wag,

Wally, you have my number and can call me any time.

If your only points off are for radial tires at two (2) points per tire,

that alone would not necessarily prevent you from receiving any award.

At 392 points, assuming no other deductions, you would still be within the ten (10) point rule even if in the same class, and going for the same award , as a "perfect" 400 point car.

Were chrome wire spoke wheels an option for this car as delivered from the factory, or a factory authorized dealer option to be sold to the consumer?

Factory documentation will help here.

Bill all the Avanti twos were delivered to the original owner straight from the factory they were no dealer is involved with these cars these were a option from the factory I guess it the right way of putting it there was only a few options available only cards color interior color interior material and wheels or and or hubcaps.

The radial tire deduction used to be 10 points per tire I think but won't bet the farm on that.  Maybe someone will know if there was a change in the deduction and how much that change was.  I would assume it came from the factory with radial tires in 76 so I can't see that would be a problem.  I can't imagine any other reason for steering you toward DPC unless because of your driving the car it would get deductions for condition.

The dark tint on the windows would be another deduction.  The glass deduction is 3 points per glass.  That's a possible 24 point deduction.  Also, I see black, not brushed stainless wipers.  I believe DPC is your best option, but if you want to move to class judging, you will need to call the National Office and they can move it for you.  Even with these point deductions that all here have suggested here, your car could receive a First Place Junior Award and go on to receive a Senior award.  A very nice car and I hope to see it at future Nationals.

Edited by 61polara
Additional information (see edit history)

I found an old judging manual today 2001 revision and the point deduction is max of 3 points per tire including spare and 3 points per wheel including spare now both are lowered to 2 points.    So someone who was not familiar with Avant II's not knowing what was factory may have thought the deductions would be too great at that time to get an award.  I'm thinking the wire wheels, which look European to me, may have led to this thought more than the radial tires both of which apparently are factory.  But a tire or wheel deduction would be a 10 point deduction each as the spare has to match the other 4 tires, the wheels could be an 8 point deduction if the spare was factory with a different style wheel.

Edited by Avanti Bill (see edit history)