victahh1

Import Mexican Vehicle To Sell In U.S.

Recommended Posts

To keep my story short, I have a family member in Mexico with a 1964 Galaxie that he wants to sell. He believes he may get a lot more for it here in the U.S. I already spoke to a transportation company that would ship the car for about $3,000. My question, is there a market for antique imported vehicles? Would it be worth the hassle and cost to bring it here for resale? My concern is that it may not be as coveted as it was not manufactured in the U.S., the speedometer is in KM, etc. I appreciate all input. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think you can get enough for the car to recover the $3k shipping cost?  It would have to be a very fine example of a 1964 Ford Galaxy to still come out on the plus side.  The things you mentioned making it an export car can be changed.  Is all the title and paperwork in order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, all paperwork is in order (title, registration, insurance) which is required for the carrier to be able to transport it. I don't have too many pictures but it appears to be in good condition although not perfect, from what I can tell the headlight bezels are missing, small tear in the seat etc. What makes me believe I can possibly get hopefully 6-7k for it is the clean frame, I'm in the Midwest so salt damage is a huge issue here. 135k km ~ 83,000 miles on the car.

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly believe that the transportation costs will eat up all of your intended/ perceived profits.

Then you're really underwater. Unless you've got a buyer with a healthy down payment, I don't

believe that it is worth the risk. For what it's worth. Also, if the transport is not enclosed, you

have risk of stone chips and vandalism enroute.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, victahh1 said:

.. believe I can possibly get hopefully 6-7k for it

 

If you "believe" you can get 6-7k for it and it costs $3k shipping you wind up with $3-4k max, and you're not sure you can get that. I would advertise the car locally in Mexico for $3-4k. If it sells you  have avoided all the hassle of transporting and documenting the transfer of the car to the U.S. If it doesn't sell locally, then look at bringing it to the U.S. I really doubt it's worth the effort on a "chance" you might get more for it.

 

Don

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree, do not see anything special (engine flags, etc) and is a four door with aftermarket wheels. Does it have AC ? Best to advertise for interest before investing in transportation. I take it you cannot just fly down and drive back ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you should add in the cost of obtaining a title, registration, etc in your name to the transportation cost.  I doubt many people are willing to purchase with foreign paperwork, etc as many states require notarized DMV forms etc for transfer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, from what I can tell it appears to be the base model, which may be even less appealing to potential buyers. Unfortunately, due to work I would not be able to take a week off to go see the car myself and drive it back. Plus the transportation company would take care of paperwork I am not familiar with.

 

Thank you all for all your input. I kind of figured it wouldn't be worth it but figured I'd listen to a few more opinions. That said, maybe in the future if I were to import a vehicle for personal use it may be an option I would consider, but not for the sale of the vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be an interesting car, nonetheless, possibly being a Mexican-assembled car.  A true Ford lover might want to add it to his collection.

 

Not sure about Ford, but most, if not all AMC cars in the mid-to late 1970's didn't have the shocks behind the 5-mph bumpers as they weren't required by law in Mexico.   Although those ungainly bumpers didn't add to their looks, at least they didn't stick out as far.

 

Craig

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty red paint job that makes me wonder what else might have been done to it.  Looking at the aftermarket wheels, it leads me to believe that a look under the hood would reveal some chrome aftermarket stuff, headers, etc.etc. Besides that, the top doesn't go down and it has too many doors to be really desirable.  An interesting nice looking cruise-mobile but as has already been noted, transportation costs and possible title fees, etc would wipe slick any potential profit.

Terry

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car appears to be a Galaxie 500 4 door hardtop.

It doesn't have a post so when the windows are rolled down it has a 2 door hardtop look.

But it not being the XL and with no 390 Thunderbird engine it is less desirable.

 

At one time my Dad had 3 '64 Galaxies, they are great driving cars for their size and if they have the big block they can get up and run pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ust as an aside I have a relative in the Navy who had purchased an Innocenti (Mini-Cooper made in Italy) 1275 in Italy and had an Italian title in his name. Navy had shipped it here but to get a Florida title and registration required about 1/2" of paperwork including a power of attorney (original notarized only, no copies), a DMV inspection, and three different DMV visits before I had the proper forms (twice I was missing something and neither time the same thing). It was only that easy because he was military serving abroad.

 

Not something I would wish on anyone. Best to find out exactly what you need to register and title, not just to import it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would need to use an import-export broker to convert the Mexican paperwork for sale in the USA. I don't know what type of title you would  end up with. That's a four door sedan not a hardtop.

Edited by misterc9 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zepher said:

The car appears to be a Galaxie 500 4 door hardtop.

It's unmistakably a four door sedan with stainless steel trim on the frames.

 

1964 four door hardtop rear windows are generously curved and do not come to a point at the top rear like the sedan.  As well, the rear doors have a kick-up at the rear of the door so the glass can lower fully.  https://barnfinds.com/390-4-speed-1964-ford-galaxie-500-xl/

 

Craig

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

It's unmistakably a four door sedan with stainless steel trim on the frames.

 

1964 four door hardtop rear windows are generously curved and do not come to a point at the top rear like the sedan.  As well, the rear doors have a kick-up at the rear of the door so the glass can lower fully.  https://barnfinds.com/390-4-speed-1964-ford-galaxie-500-xl/

 

Craig

 

You're right.

My Dad sold his cars over 20 years ago so it's been awhile since I had really seen one.

He had a 4 door hardtop with the 390 and XL trim.

The car was a tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....and pray it doesn't have a column shift,  3 speed standard transmission. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, padgett said:

ust as an aside I have a relative in the Navy who had purchased an Innocenti (Mini-Cooper made in Italy) 1275 in Italy and had an Italian title in his name. Navy had shipped it here but to get a Florida title and registration required about 1/2" of paperwork including a power of attorney (original notarized only, no copies), a DMV inspection, and three different DMV visits before I had the proper forms (twice I was missing something and neither time the same thing). It was only that easy because he was military serving abroad.

 

Not something I would wish on anyone. Best to find out exactly what you need to register and title, not just to import it.

When I was stationed in Scotland back in the early 70s, we purchased our 1935 Morris 8 and the Navy issued me a  Military Title for it.  Using that simple half-page sized document I could get it titled in any state once we shipped it home.  I got a Michigan title for it and all it took was inspection by a state police officer to confirm the serial # on the car matched what was on the title.  I don't know when (of if) that was done away with, but it sure was helpful.

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Life was simpler in the last century.

 

BTW in the mid-60s, the Air Force overseas had a lot of base Ford sedans and wagons. All 6 cyl three-on-the-tree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 6:54 PM, zepher said:

The car appears to be a Galaxie 500 4 door hardtop.

It doesn't have a post so when the windows are rolled down it has a 2 door hardtop look.

But it not being the XL and with no 390 Thunderbird engine it is less desirable.

 

At one time my Dad had 3 '64 Galaxies, they are great driving cars for their size and if they have the big block they can get up and run pretty good.

 

It's a sedan. The L-rear  window is partially rolled down in the door window frame

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, Terry Bond said:

When I was stationed in Scotland back in the early 70s, we purchased our 1935 Morris 8 and the Navy issued me a  Military Title for it.  Using that simple half-page sized document I could get it titled in any state once we shipped it home.  I got a Michigan title for it and all it took was inspection by a state police officer to confirm the serial # on the car matched what was on the title.  I don't know when (of if) that was done away with, but it sure was helpful.

Terry

 A James Herriott type Morris eight roadster? Hart to find these days.

 

Image result for morris 8 roadster image of all creatures great and small

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, a Morris 8 Saloon (4dr). Nice car that we bought shortly after arriving and drove for 4 years before bringing it back to the USA.  Shipped it back to Scotland five years later for a second tour of duty there.  I am very familiar with the James Herriott tourers.  We were big fans of the TV series -"All Creatures, Great and Small."  It was good friends of ours in Yorkshire who restored the car for the TV show.  Actually they had two of them, one driven daily, the other used for TV filming.  At the end of the season, they freshened up their daily driver and swapped the cars around so they always had one in the TV series and one for their own use.  Great cars!  Here is a pic parked next to our MGTC.Terry

Morris 8 and TC together.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Nope, a Morris 8 Saloon (4dr). Nice car that we bought shortly after arriving and drove for 4 years before bringing it back to the USA.  Shipped it back to Scotland five years later for a second tour of duty there.  I am very familiar with the James Herriott tourers.  We were big fans of the TV series -"All Creatures, Great and Small."  It was good friends of ours in Yorkshire who restored the car for the TV show.  Actually they had two of them, one driven daily, the other used for TV filming.  At the end of the season, they freshened up their daily driver and swapped the cars around so they always had one in the TV series and one for their own use.  Great cars!  Here is a pic parked next to our MGTC.Terry

Morris 8 and TC together.jpg

 

 I was lucky to be able to meet Alf Wight and little Jimmy ( who isn't little and is older than me ) in Thirsk. Another good one gone. Speaking of another good one gone ( my favorite male actor ) Robert Hardy one of the masters of the English language.

 

I believe the Morris 8 is a four cylinder flathead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now