Dandy Dave

Shift Stick, 1936 Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac.

We are looking for a shift stick for a 1936 Oldsmobile. Part number is 1293963. Parts book says it fits F1932 to 36 6 Cylinder and L1933 to L1936 8 Cylinder. From what I have found out this also was used in Buick 40 and 50 series and Pontiac of the same vintage. Dandy Dave. Call 518- 965-1162. Please leave a message or message me on this site if you wish. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

My 1937 Pontiac parts book lists the following:

1935 1936 6, 8       1293309

1937  6, 8                1300475

Be aware that in the last part of 1935, Pontiac changed from a Chevrolet-like transmission to a Buick-like transmission. Therefore, only cars made at the very last of 1935 have a transmission similar to yours. Pontiac continued to use Buick-like transmissions for years, so even though the book stops at 1937, the shifter would be similar right until Pontiac went to a column shift. I do not recall which year they changed.

The numbers are different. so there must be some difference, but all of those Pontiacs have a top plate about like yours with the odd mechanism, and any of them would most likely fit in the transmission. Not sure about the car...

The 1941 Buick parts manual lists the following for the series 40 (Special) which uses a transmission similar to yours in this period. The larger cars all used a larger, unrelated transmission.

1934 1935 1936  series 40  1291413

1937 1938  series 40            1297397

These too all have a top plate about like yours. There must be something different about them but I have no idea what.

Here is a picture of a 36 Olds that was on Barnfinds. 36 Pontiac and 36 Buick 40 seem to have that bend in the shifter way down tight to the floor.

Rg98HrL.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's an extreme long shot from 2014, might be worth a PM. Ignore most of the thread. It isn't Pontiac. It is almost certainly Olds due to the short open tail, and maybe even 36. Too bad they didn't show the whole stick.

And, an even longer shot from 2013. At least this one has a useful picture that shows what the bend in the stick looks like.

Page_27_JPG.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Dave, I have a stick for a `36 Buick 40 series around here some place. I`ll find it and send you pictures. Do you need all the springs and things for installation? Tom

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Bloo. Thanks for the info. It's out there somewhere. Dandy Dave! 

Here’s a pic of my shifter. It won’t text to your number. 

B804703B-43CD-45AF-8327-E7020F5BC5E0.jpeg

Yeah. I just have a simple flip phone and don't do text. That's what we're looking for. Need the stick and all the little pieces that go in that square hole in the top cover. Would most likely be best to just take the top off and figure shipping that way. We may need other stuff. The car these parts are going in had its original engine and transmission scraped by relatives of the owner. The old fellow that had it was pissed when he heard they were going to hot rod the car and sold it to a pal of mine.  That is also me that messaged you on eBay. Thanks for replying. PM me here for price and shipping.  Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

12 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Dave, I have a stick for a `36 Buick 40 series around here some place. I`ll find it and send you pictures. Do you need all the springs and things for installation? Tom

Yeah, I need whatever springs and parts fit in the square hole in the top cover. Just post a photo here as I don't have a smart phone or do texting on one. I just have a simple flip phone. PM me on price and shipping. Thanks, Dandy Dave.